Too little, too late?

Too little, too late?

This is a discussion on Too little, too late? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Well, probably shouldíve posted this first before buying the trailer, but too late for that now! Lol Iíve got a 2018 Laramie with the air ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Too little, too late?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Too little, too late?

Well, probably shouldíve posted this first before buying the trailer, but too late for that now! Lol

Iíve got a 2018 Laramie with the air suspension with the tow package (mirrors, brake controller from what I can tell). Ram says itís rated to tow 8400 pounds.

Trailer is <7500 dry. Bit heavier than I wouldíve liked but, the floor plan works great for the little ones to have their own space and the deal was where I wanted to be cost wise. I know Iím pushing the upper limits but Iíve got a WDH and sway control set up. Towed it a few times locally (<100mi each way) to a camp ground, to the dealer, home, etc. and it seemed to do great. Truck has always sat level and itís been in the 14-15 mpg range being mostly on the freeways

I want to take it over the Cascade mountains to go to eastern Washington this summer, any advice from anybody to help ensure my family is safe above all else and secondarily efficiently so the 6 and 8 year old donít murder me on the drive for taking too long?

Iím a novice when it comes to towing a 33í behemoth so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1486 times
    Which model of hitch did you go with?

I pull a similar weight and size RV, I can't get much over 11mpg with my GDE tunes. I also have a heavy Laramie.

Your largest issue will be oil temps. Keep an eye on them when accelerating up grades, consider a better flowing grille like one from a Laramie Longhorn.
    HYDREX likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    257 times
    Oli. That's pushing it. Especially climbing mountains.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    A simple bit of advice is do not travel with water and waste tanks full if you can avoid it. All three tanks full is about 800 lbs you don't need to tow.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Limited
    I’ve got a ‘17 cougar 5th wheel. 9700# built for the 1500 trucks. I have the 4 point air and have travelled many miles. Avg 17 mpg. Watch the trans temp on your info display. Easy does it. This truck is a joy to drive. Don’t break it.
    P.S. FCA had to replace my engine twice.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Yes, I suppose I should have added we donít intend to dry camp ever. We always go to camp grounds with hookups so the tanks are always empty during towing

Does anybody know what the temps SHOULD be? I donít think Iíve ever crested over ~225 and everything Iíve seen on the internet seems to suggest under 240-250 is in a safe range for coolant and oil temps

The way I managed the higher MPG was because the freeways are fairly flat and straight out here in Washington where I was driving and really babied the throttle. My father in law towing his 5th wheel with the F350 in the photograph was blowing past me at 70 and for about the same MPG on our last trip.

And yes, Iím aware Iím probably pushing it. Figure if I keep under 50 and donít gun it I should be able to manage the temps and at least get to the top of the pass. Also have the alternative for a longer route that climbs at a much slighter grade, figure that may be worth de-risking the trip.

I appreciate the feedback!

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cccmorris View Post
    Iíve got a Ď17 cougar 5th wheel. 9700# built for the 1500 trucks. I have the 4 point air and have travelled many miles. Avg 17 mpg. Watch the trans temp on your info display. Easy does it. This truck is a joy to drive. Donít break it.
    P.S. FCA had to replace my engine twice.
    9700lbs??? Wow! Youíre a braver man than I! I was looking at the Cougars before we settled on this one, the weight scared me off. While I wouldnít trade the day to day MPG in for anything at this point, my buddies F150 that can tow 13k lbs makes me jealous sometimes. Then I remember he only gets about 9 mpg towing his boat! Lol

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    660 times
    My advice? Tow it with that white HD Ford in your photo. There is no way I'd take that combination through any mountains or high wind areas. Keep in mind you not only have to go up the mountains - you also have to come down. You mentioned 'keep my family safe above all else'. That question should have been asked much earlier in the process. I don't tow as much as others on this site, but I've towed TT's enough to know that for my comfort and concern for my family your trailer is in 2500 territory. Big difference between 1500 and 2500 trucks. Beefier brakes, axles, springs, frames etc. I'll probably get slammed for not telling you that you'll be fine and to just keep your speed down, but I'm a big believer in using the right tool for the job when towing. I've towed with both 1500 and 2500 trucks and the difference is night and day. If you're gonna do anything other than local campgrounds, do yourself and your family a favor and get the right tow vehicle. You'll enjoy your vacations much more knowing that you have a margin of safety vs. living on the edge.
    redsunBC and RudolfDiesel like this.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1486 times
    9700# and 17mpg? You must have a Jimmy tune and be drinking the koolaid lol. No, Really, how you managing that kind of results? Hand calculated?

Siha, our trucks appear identical but my '16 has the 3.55 gears. My K-Z Sportster averages around 8500 lbs with 3 ATV's inside, most I've pulled is around 8900# and it did great. I have a huge external oil cooler so I no longer worry about oil temps, only EGT on the long climbs.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Which oil cooler did you get Bounty? Given that my truck and trailer are both in the 6 month old range I havenít done much to the rig yet, but if the first year with the kids proves successful I do plan on doing some add ons as needed (as long as they donít void my 10 year extended warranty I purchased, so sadly the GDE tune is outta the question for now)

And Roegs, I fully agree I probably need to step up to 3/4 or full ton. But as this is my daily, I didnít want to take the MPG hit (and canít justify the cost of multiple vehicles). And no, Iím not going to bash you for the honest feedback. All input is good input and food for thought. I do make sure to keep within the specs of the truck and not exceed them for that very reason, weíve always made sure to pack light when taking it out. This trip I intend to load heavy and go to the scales (<5mi from the in laws where it is stored) and make sure that my estimates for cargo arenít off. If they are I will be offloading the extra weight and reassessing my trailer choice

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links