Before I make this purchase

This is a discussion on Before I make this purchase within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Similar to the dilemma Siha had in the post below I am purchasing a Jayco 29qb which weighs in at 6425 dry and gvwr of ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 4 Post By Patroller8D
  • 3 Post By Bounty Hunter
  • 3 Post By VernDiesel
  • 4 Post By Haul N Grass
  • 1 Post By Patroller8D
  • 2 Post By Captainmal
  • 1 Post By Crash68

Thread: Before I make this purchase

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Similar to the dilemma Siha had in the post below I am purchasing a Jayco 29qb which weighs in at 6425 dry and gvwr of 7500. I have the airlift 1000 air bags in the coils and the blue ox wdh and tow my current jayco x23b fine without any sag or issue. My question is looking at the specs of the new soon-to-be camper, will I be pushing it? The camper even though the model says 29qb is actually 34'11". There will be myself, wife and 3 kids in the truck totalling almost 400 pounds combined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Before I make this purchase-20180815_195618_1560109129917.jpg   Before I make this purchase-screenshot_20190609-153646_1560109223402.png   Before I make this purchase-screenshot_20190607-100456_1560109232079.png   Before I make this purchase-img_20190609_154648_1560109697387.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    423 times
    My son just picked up a 27' Jayco LE + tongue length and rear bumper, about 31'(can't remember the exact model) one slide out, comes in at about 7000 empty. We towed it with empty water tank, no grey, no black, 2 x 30lb propane tanks and 1 GP 24 battery. With the WDH and sway engaged, on the flats and going uphill was fine at 55 - 60 mph, going downhill even on long gentle hills was nothing but white knuckle experiences, had to slow down considerably. He had to activate the manual override quite a number of times. Transports passing us, ended up with what's that funny brown smell, get the hint. As for the power towing, it was surprisingly adequate, no effort, no engine screaming or downshifting past 6th. In my personal opinion, that trailer you plan on getting is far to much for the truck in general for any trips. He moved his to a seasonal campsite where it will remain for a number of years. I don't plan on being on the return trip with him. I have an older 22' and tow with none of the above problems. For you to be on the safe side, I would recommend on sticking 24' or under or going to a more capable truck, ie, 3/4 Ton, not for the power but the control of your truck/trailer combo.
    VernDiesel, sourdo, roegs and 1 others like this.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1486 times
    The truck can do it, the real question is what are you comfortable towing based on your experience level?

My K-Z 280THR is actually a 30' box and loaded it's between 8k and 8500. I'm comfortable towing it with the Andersen hitch.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3556 times
    “Will I be pushing it?”
    Yes and no while a HD would be a more ideal tool for towing it your truck can tow it well with proper WDH and set up. With the soft suspension of any half ton the flat front parachute and long leverage sail you have require the weight distribution and set up to be right in order for it to handle semi bow wave wind gusts etc. It is more difficult and more concerning than power cooling braking etc which can be more easily managed.

Your advice is the same as Shias weigh your truck and trailer with trailer & WDH then weigh just your truck. From the two weight slips you can make adjustments to your WDH and bed/TT loading to make the whole set up within Ram specs as best as possible in order to make the whole thing as safe & stable as can be. In doing such you will not have a white knuckle setup.

Edit Patrollers ED & sons 7k TT could be made much more safe & stable and confident feeling to tow. This is the results he would need from his hitch and loading adjustments. For his weight slips to show a TW (tongue weight) of at least 12 percent of the 7k if that is a verified number or 840 pounds. (840 per truck weight slips before & after as he is using a WDH) And to largely replace the unloaded steer weight which on his truck should be around 3200. After which with a few drives to verify patroller might be comfortable with his grandson towing it.

Longislanddiesel, aside from getting your weight distribution within range there are other things that will make your experience better & safer. Having a tune with turbo brake, a factory TBC (trailer brake controller), load rated tires. And bags & a WDH with built in sway control which you already have. BTW CAT has a free app with gps directions etc. cost is normally about $12 & $2 per additional weigh. For an hour & $20 it’s cheap insurance for the safety of your family and stress free driving. It’s also cheaper than a new truck.
    Last edited by VernDiesel; 06-09-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2359 times
    The 3 above posters have real world knowledge towing with their EcoDiesels , I also have respect for Verndiesels extreme knowledge with weights and setting the hitch / loads properly.. One thing to remember is length is leverage it also comes into play with side winds and semis passing from other directions, Unexpected rain/ windstorms. Now I do enjoy reading about families camping, What ever your decision is remember The slower you travel The safer you travel , never be concerned about the way others drive around you, stay in the right lane ....Enjoy the camping lifestyle.....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    “Will I be pushing it?”
    Yes and no while and HD would be a more ideal tool for towing it your truck can tow it well with proper WDH and set up. With the soft suspension of any half ton the flat front parachute and long leverage sail you have require the weight distribution and set up to be right in order for it to handle semi bow wave wind gusts etc. It is more difficult and more concerning than power cooling braking etc which can be more easily managed.

Your advice is the same as Shias weigh your truck and trailer with trailer & WDH then weigh just your truck. From the two weight slips you can make adjustments to your WDH and bed/TT loading to make the whole set up within Ram specs as best as possible in order to make the whole thing as safe & stable as can be. In doing such you will not have a white knuckle setup.

Edit Patrollers ED & sons 7k TT could be made much more safe & stable and confident feeling to tow. This is the results he would need from his hitch and loading adjustments. For his weight slips to show a TW (tongue weight) of at least 12 percent of the 7k if that is a verified number or 840 pounds. (840 per truck weight slips before & after as he is using a WDH) And to largely replace the unloaded steer weight which on his truck should be around 3200. After which with a few drives to verify patroller might be comfortable with his grandson towing it.

Longislanddiesel, aside from getting your weight distribution within range there are other things that will make your experience better & safer. Having a tune with turbo brake, a factory TBC (trailer brake controller), load rated tires. And bags & a WDH with built in sway control which you already have.
    Thanks Vern, much appreciated. Unfortunately, there was no close by set of scales to do an actual weight of truck alone, truck/trailer with WDH and then try to dial it in a bit more. We went with "the general" attitude of truck attached to trailer, apply the WDH to get the rear of the truck back to even measurements of tire to wheel well clearance while still having a bit of nose down attitude on the trailer. I'm suspecting he may have needed to tighten up one more link on the chains to move the weight towards the steering axle. Thanks again.
    VernDiesel likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6376 times
    Really think that all the numbers, hitches, and power mods make little difference when the wind blows. Over 30 ft. is a huge sail ready to literally pull a little 1/2 ton over in a crosswind. Remember, though the weight is manageable, all those huge trailers are just big boxes of air with a high center of gravity and lots of side wind load.

To me towing any of these big trailers, over say even 28 ft., is a bit too much for any 1/2 ton pickup.
    Last edited by Captainmal; 06-10-2019 at 08:00 AM.
    Patroller8D and Haul N Grass like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2282 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patroller8D View Post
    Unfortunately, there was no close by set of scales to do an actual weight of truck alone, truck/trailer with WDH and then try to dial it in a bit more. We went with "the general" attitude of truck attached to trailer, apply the WDH to get the rear of the truck back to even measurements of tire to wheel well clearance while still having a bit of nose down attitude on the trailer.
    Take a measurement of the front wheelwell to the ground and adjust to get that to the unloaded height or slightly less. I've done this as an available scale was too far out of the path of travel and with road construction, I could be at my destination before I get there.
    As for the nose of the trailer, it's a balancing act of how much airbag vs ball height. Adjustments of either will also effect you WDH setting and will need to be adjusted.
    Patroller8D likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash68 View Post
    Take a measurement of the front wheelwell to the ground and adjust to get that to the unloaded height or slightly less. I've done this as an available scale was too far out of the path of travel and with road construction, I could be at my destination before I get there.
    As for the nose of the trailer, it's a balancing act of how much airbag vs ball height. Adjustments of either will also effect you WDH setting and will need to be adjusted.
    I'm almost suspecting the ball height may have to be lowered one hole too.

Sponsored Links