Did I tell you I love this truck...?

This is a discussion on Did I tell you I love this truck...? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; We've been considering upgrading our TT since there's the possibility of kids and/or grandkids joining us on camping trips and there was no way our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Did I tell you I love this truck...?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    238 times

We've been considering upgrading our TT since there's the possibility of kids and/or grandkids joining us on camping trips and there was no way our "couples trailer" would accommodate 2 or 4 more people. Just before a planned trip to Nashville we found a deal on a bunkhouse TT from Grand Design that fit our needs perfectly now and for the future.

We literally towed our trailer to the dealer, signed the final paperwork, got our walkthrough/walkaround, transferred all our stuff from the old trailer to the new and set off for Nashville from NE Ohio. A bit crazy but I took a lot of time in the dealer's delivery area to set up the WDH and based on how it tows I'm pretty close. I may switch to an Anderson WDH later this summer after a couple more trips.

Anyway, my truck continues to surprise me! Our previous TT was 24 feet and came in between 4500 and 5000 lbs depending on what we had loaded. The new TT is 28 feet, empty is just below 6000 lbs and is about 6 inches taller and 6 inches wider. With a nearly full fresh water tank, full LP tanks, food in the fridge, assorted camping equipment, etc we came in at about 6700 pounds. GVW is 7500 pounds

The trip down to Tennessee took us through flat central Ohio and then the hills of southern Ohio, along I-71 in hilly Kentucky and then I-65 south to Nashville. The truck had no problems with the hills and a couple of long grades and maintained a steady 62 to 65mph in the right lane and returned 13.1 mpg's hand calculated. Really the drive was effortless and very comfortable with the primary difference being the "truck suck" as big rigs passed us - I had to be more diligent to correct for the trailer/truck being pulled to my left as the semi approached the trailer and then pushed to the right as the semi came even with my driver's door. But I learned quickly to compensate.

Several times on the longer uphill grades I ended up passing the semi's since the EcoD had more than enough power to overtake them without slowing down traffic behind me. And downhill the truck maintained the speed I wanted without me having to ride the brakes thanks to the GDE engine brake and trans tune. The trans only shifted down to 5th a couple of times, otherwise it held in 6th and occasionally upshifted to 7th going downhill. And I love how the truck will UPSHIFT going uphill while towing - impressive.

Trip home we took a different route via eastern Ohio and the hills of I-77 and my mileage dropped to 12.9 - but still stayed right around 65mph. I'll take it ;-)

Did I tell you I love this truck?

Our new rig - a Grand Design Imagine 2400BH:

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    Well, make sure to let your truck know how much it is appreciated.
    TwoBobs and sourdo like this.

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    Good report - thanks. I feel the same way about my 2017.
    TwoBobs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Beautiful setup...Always liked the look of your truck.
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    681 times
    Great report, and nice looking rig! Sounds like you are getting the hitch dialed in. I've never used an Anderson hitch, but I can say that if you are unable to correct the 'truck suck' to your satisfaction, a Hensley hitch will completely eliminate it. I have nothing but good to say about Hensley. Our camping days are behind us, but if I ever get back into another TT, another Hensley will be part of the deal. I know they are spendy, but they also have very good resale when it comes time to sell.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    517 times
    What is not to like with those super nice photos?
    Well done sir...
    TwoBobs likes this.
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Laramie
    Liked
    40 times
    Is this the model with the bunk beds? I've been eyeing this exact model!

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1690 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Why_rick View Post
    I would say so, by the BH (Bunkhouse) in the model nomenclature, and those stacked horizontal windows in the back.

Is there a reason you haul fresh water and don't fill up on arrival?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6845 times
    YES!

You told us and it was well received. Thanks.
    TwoBobs likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Why_rick View Post
    Yes, this is the bunkhouse floorplan. The bunk beds are full size vs twin with the fold up lower bunk for bikes, chairs, etc. Lots of storage which was our biggest complaint about our previous TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I would say so, by the BH (Bunkhouse) in the model nomenclature, and those stacked horizontal windows in the back.

Is there a reason you haul fresh water and don't fill up on arrival?

Bounty, since we literally drove out of the dealer's lot and took off for Nashville I left the fresh water in the tank with a freshwater tank cleaner to sanitize the water system. When we got to Nashville I drained the tank and then just used the water at the campground. I didn't trust that the dealership properly sanitized the freshwater tank given how quickly we made the deal and the timeline we gave them to have it prepped and ready to go.

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links