Oil change before or after? - Page 2

Oil change before or after?

This is a discussion on Oil change before or after? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Originally Posted by howie12 That's a crap response and you darn well know it too! Bwahahaha. Wine and a keyboard. Always a dangerous combo. Hope ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Oil change before or after?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    224 times
    Quote Originally Posted by howie12 View Post
    That's a crap response and you darn well know it too!
    Bwahahaha. Wine and a keyboard. Always a dangerous combo.

Hope I didn't jinx him.
    howie12 and TwoBobs like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    (onOrder) 2018 Sport/Quad/3.92/ED
    Liked
    130 times
    I'm late to the party but would've change the oil. I don't go past 8k, diesel dilutes the oil and reduces the longevity of the oil. I believe the manual recommends 8k... I'd stay away from 10k.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    224 times
    The manual says 10,000 miles unless you are using biodiesel. Then it is 8. Also, for those of us that use the GDE tune, oil change intervals could even be longer. On my last report they said it could easily go to 12,000 miles, but I will most likely change it at 10 anyway.
    TwoBobs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesup View Post
    The manual says 10,000 miles unless you are using biodiesel. Then it is 8. Also, for those of us that use the GDE tune, oil change intervals could even be longer. On my last report they said it could easily go to 12,000 miles, but I will most likely change it at 10 anyway.

Same here. I tow about 4000 miles a year and with the GDE tune Blackstone still says I can go up to 12,000 miles if I want. I'm simple and 10K is a nice round number that's easy to remember so I just stick with it.

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6865 times
    Shia. How many miles you have on your oil?

Just hoping you write the mileage at oil changes so you can figure. Nuts to that oil life meter. If you have enough miles to go on your trip and return with less than 10,000 miles on the oil, go. If it is over 10,000 or whatever your book says is the oil change mileage, change. Assuming you are under warranty I would not go past the recommended mileage change interval.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    (onOrder) 2018 Sport/Quad/3.92/ED
    Liked
    130 times
    hmmmmmmmmm, I swore I read the oil change spec also reduced the frequency down to 8k, I'll check my manual later. There's no way I'm going to 10k on a stock tune, that's just me.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6865 times
    Shia never came back. Her proposed trip was two weekends ago.

Hope we get a follow-up.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Laramie Eco-D, 4x4 CC, pearl white, tow pkg & mirrors, spray-in bed liner, Leer XR-100 cap
    Liked
    8 times
    +/- 10% of your oil change interval, and you will be fine.

That being said, I try to keep mine at +/- 500 miles, and change at 8,000. Schedule the next change as though you did this one at the specified interval.

A 300 mile trip with 3,000 miles left on the EVIC is plenty of margin. Even if you changed oil at 8,000 you have a 1,000 mile margin.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1717 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    diesel dilutes the oil and reduces the longevity of the oil.
    It does? Have you seen this in oil analysis somewhere? I haven't seen it in any of mine.
    BrianF likes this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    So I made the decision to change the oil after the trip. Attached are the stats for the trip. The truck was only running when hitching up, unhitching or towing so it’s as accurate of a read as I can get (using the EVIC). Granted it takes about 30 minutes to get the 33’ behemoth turned around and parked at the in laws property, think I lost close to .5 mpg doing that alone. But overall I had no issues, temps peaked at ~240 for the oil, coolant hung around 210. Not sure if that big gap should be concerning? I seem to recall in another thread seeing the recommended delta between the two to be in the 12-16 range, but I could be wrong on that.

Took it to the dealer with 2% left on the oil life meter for my prepaid oil change (can’t beat a $100 oil change when the materials to do it myself is upwards of $85 in my opinion) and still running like a dream. Coming up on 1 yr and almost 15k, untuned and no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links