OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch

This is a discussion on OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; Hello All, Before I reinvent the wheel I wanted to throw this out to the forum members. Recently purchased a 2015 LongHorn EcoDiesel. During the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hello All,

Before I reinvent the wheel I wanted to throw this out to the forum members. Recently purchased a 2015 LongHorn EcoDiesel. During the process I failed to notice (stupid me) that the truck was equipped with the hitch option where you put a ball through the bumper rather than a 2" receiver. After discovering (and attempting to use) I have come to the conclusion that this is the most idiotic hitch I have ever seen. Whoever designed this thing has never towed a trailer in their life. Within the confines of their office cubicle it might make sense from a visual perspective but the real world applicability of it escapes me. Pain in the a** to switch ball sizes, cannot adjust drop lengths for the trailer to tow level, no tow chain attachments. Seriously? A truck designed to tow things that doesn't have a good system for actually connecting the trailer to the truck?

Now that I have vented .... Is there another solution other than completely replacing the current oem with a below bumper receiver hitch. Is there some work around or something that I am missing here?

Thanks for the time and input!
    phprof likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    607 times
    Truck should have came from the factory with a receiver hitch as well as the bumper style. If its missing the receiver hitch then install one the bumper greatly limits the weight you can tow.
    DrivingZiggy and phprof like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    290 times
    Some trucks could have been ordered without the trailer tow package. It's not automatic.

0) Does it have a place on the bumper to plug in trailer lights? If it does, is that place 4 prong only or does it have 4 and 7 prong receptacles?

1) Look up your VIN number on mopar.com (or find the window sticker if you can) and verify that it didn't come with the trailer tow package. If it says you are suppose to have the tow package with hitch, you need to visit a dealer and/or call FCA and have this remedied. By the way, the original window sticker can be download from mopar.com.

2) If it didn't come with the trailer tow package and it doesn't have a 7-prong receptacle, you may have to order a wiring harness or get really good at installations. I don't know if the wiring is already there or not on the Rams regardless of the factory installation of a hitch.

3) You can order a factory class III/IV receiver hitch from a dealership (I wouldn't) or you can find one on any number of websites. Recently I have been using etrailer.com (not a sponsor). You will want one with a minimum of 1000 lb tongue and 10,0000 tow capacity. I'd personally go with the 1500 lb tongue/15,000 lb tow version(s).

4) Prepare to crawl on the ground or find a shop that will install it for you. Most of these install with little or no drilling required now days but since I haven't installed one on a Ram I cannot confirm.

5) If pulling more than 2-3k lbs ... get a brake controller. State highway safety rules vary from state-to-state. Basically, if the trailer has brakes then make sure they work and you can control them. Lots of good threads on this in the forum.
    Last edited by phprof; 09-07-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    VernDiesel likes this.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1438 times
    been mentioned before , high trim truck , but no class IV hitch , I was surprised at first , tought because I had one , that
    everybody with a RAM had one , but no .

class I hitch = usually has a 1-1/4" square receiver opening...rated up to 2000 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 200 lbs.
    class II hitch = also has a 1-1/4" square receiver opening. .. rated up to 3500 lbs. gross trailer weight (GTW) with a maximum trailer tongue weight (TW) of 300 lbs.
    class III , IV , and V hitches = more tricky :see descriptions here : https://www.drawtite-hitches.com/lea...towing-classes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch-21-2015-ram-1500-ecodiesel-dual-exhaust-full-size-spare-tire.jpg   OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch-trailer-hitch.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6850 times
    Welcome Fletch... - First post.

Like to see a picture of that. As stated above, not the common way to have one from the factory. Hope you come back and do a follow-up.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Possible that this at one time was a Rental truck, like from Enterprise? Rentals rarely have trailer hitches for obvious reasons.

Lou
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 ecodiesel
    Liked
    137 times
    My son in laws 2016 didn't have the receiver hitch installed when he bought it.
    We installed the strongest one from e trailer.
    This one has more bolts then the others;
    https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leID=201523416
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1438 times
    Interesting Lou , in your link , , a class V hitch , with 2 inch receiver opening ...
    usually I've seen A Class V hitch with a 2-1/2" square receiver opening.still built strong .

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for all of the responses and thoughts. It is a strange situation on this truck. I guess at least in my mind it is. I am not a stranger to towing, tow vehicles and hitches. Our primary tow vehicle is a 2014 RAM Longhorn 3500 Dually. We primarily tow a gooseneck horse trailer.

The specifics on the EcoDiesel:

1. Factory build shows the towing package.

2. Truck has both 4 and 7 pin factory receptacles.

3. Factory installed electronic trailer brake in the dash.

4. The hitch (for lack of a better description) is on the truck and is fully integrated in to the frame. There is a hole that goes through the hitch via the bumper that you put a ball in. It takes a 1" shank. The plastic on the bumper is stamped to indicate 5,000# trailer weight and 500# tongue weight. Its not that you can't tow with it, it is just that the design is beyond stupid. The ball is 24" inches above the ground! And there is no place to attach the trailer safety chains to the truck.

5. Did find a parts guy at the local dealer that showed me the solution for this type of setup is Chrysler part #82213205 Trailer Tow Receiver Hitch Kit. It bolts through the hole in the bumper and in to the frame area. It has the same weight rating as the factory specs at 5000 trailer / 500 tongue but at least with this you have a 2" receiver below the bumper. With a weight distribution system it is rated at 12,000 trailer and 1,200 tongue. I don't use this truck for that kind of towing so the factory specs will work for my purposes.

6. The dealer wanted $275 for the part and $120 for the install. I found it on Amazon from a Chrysler dealer for $125 and I can install it myself. I think Etrailer has the aftermarket equivalents. Probably less money but I didn't want to deal with any fit issues.

I have attached some pictures of what the factory setup looks like in case anyone else runs in to this issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch-img_1194.jpg   OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch-img_1190.jpg   OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch-img_1192.jpg   OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch-img_1188.jpg   OEM Receiver Bumper Hitch-img_1193.jpg  

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1438 times
    we all have that hole in the bumper , when a 2 inch receiver is present , there is a big round plastic cap to block the hole ,
    the decorative plastic on bumper even lists the same capacities you listed in item 4 , and not the class IV hitch ' capacities / specs .
    Maybe the previous owner sold the " below bumper receiver hitch " ,
    or maybe it was stolen in a parking lot .... ,battery impact guns now days can undo those big nuts quickly .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 09-08-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links