The Science of Towing

The Science of Towing

This is a discussion on The Science of Towing within the RAM 1500 Diesel Towing & Hauling forums, part of the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Forum category; I would like to understand something... IF the EcoDiesel makes more torque...has the same frame how does the HEMI have more towing capacity? I'm not ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The Science of Towing

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 BigHorn EcoD
    Liked
    1 times

The Science of Towing

I would like to understand something...

IF the EcoDiesel makes more torque...has the same frame how does the HEMI have more towing capacity?

I'm not sure how horse power matters in this equation, though I do see how rear end gears and transmission could enter the math problem but that plays into torque, and we already know who wins that battle.

So whats the missing link here?
    2015 BigHorn EcoDiesel

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I think it's a weight factor if I remember correctly. Diesel is heavier than the hemi so more sprung weight as they call it contributing to less overall weight left for towing. Or in my mind that's how it works. Anyone feel free to correct me. Just out of curiosity what's ur gvwr. My hemi crew is 6900lb

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1416 times
    Pjordan4477 , The cooling system ( left unmodified ) cannot keep up if you tow too heavy .
    Brandon-w likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    16 Ecodiesel Laramie
    Liked
    13 times
    The gvrw on my Laramie crew is 6950 according ram using my vin, I can tow 8380lbs with Max payload 1150lbs
    Brandon-w likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1562 times
    Cooling and HP.

I do believe that the current standardized rating systems take into account how fast the vehicle can complete certain tasks and what weight they can do x task without downshifting etc. where HP would come in more. We all talk about torque, but the reason the ecodiesel seems slow... at least to me when compared to other vehicles is because it only has 240 HP, similar to a v8 of the 90's.
    TwoBobs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    597 times
    The way most manufactories calculate tow ratings now is by using SAE J2807. Our ecodiesels failed hard due to the crap cooling system which results in a derate condition during the test. If fca had designed the cooling system better it would be closer to the hemi.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    237 times
    The new 2020 ED's increased towing capacity is primarily related to the improved cooling. The intercooler was moved into the bumper below the radiator and condenser so FCA engineers eliminated the "stacked cooling" effect - basically too many cooling components stacked on top of each other thereby decreasing the effectiveness for all of them.

The HP and torque for the new ED are increased somewhat (near the same as a GDE tune on the current engine) but it's the cooling improvements that give the biggest boost to towing capacity.

I've been of the mind that unless I'm putting my truck in a situation in which I will be at or over the derate ceiling I can tow essentially the same weight as the same truck with a Hemi. The ED is about 80 pounds heavier than the Hemi IRRC but there's no difference in the frame, brakes, etc. between my ED and the Hemi version - the diesel's cooling is the limiting factor. I'm not stupid enough to keep my foot mashed to the floor on the skinny pedal just to climb a mountain faster than an unloaded semi so I'll manage the cooling myself. A trailer isn't going to wag the dog any more being towed by my ED than the same trailer with a Hemi.

My 2 cents - others' opinions my vary widely.

Bob
    BrianF likes this.
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 BigHorn EcoD
    Liked
    1 times
    cooling, interesting...now with the GDE tune, is the truck essentially operating (or have the ability to) at a cooler temperature under load? Do we think we gain that 1200lbs back with the GDE tune?

I drove the Eco 2.5hrs to pick up a tonneau cover.

When I arrived I took a look at my readouts:
    Trans temp was 190
    Coolant was 200
    Oil temp was 220
    Oil pressure 30psi

This was empty of course.
    2015 BigHorn EcoDiesel

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500
    Liked
    597 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pjordan4477 View Post
    cooling, interesting...now with the GDE tune, is the truck essentially operating (or have the ability to) at a cooler temperature under load? Do we think we gain that 1200lbs back with the GDE tune?

I drove the Eco 2.5hrs to pick up a tonneau cover.

When I arrived I took a look at my readouts:
    Trans temp was 190
    Coolant was 200
    Oil temp was 220
    Oil pressure 30psi

This was empty of course.
    The gde tune runs hotter in cylinder under higher loads than stock which is part of why it is so efficient. So no it well actually derate slighty quicker do to more heat being produced.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 BigHorn EcoD
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokedownbutgood View Post
    The gde tune runs hotter in cylinder under higher loads than stock which is part of why it is so efficient. So no it well actually derate slighty quicker do to more heat being produced.
    Sooo, whats the fix?

what is the ideal mods to get the 1200lbs back? Is it cooling the friction fluids or simply a better radiator and fan set up? OR is the block/head coolant channels just too small to make a difference?
    2015 BigHorn EcoDiesel

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links