Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

This is a discussion on Service Electronic Throttle Control Message within the RAM 1500 Diesel Transmission forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hello Everyone, I own a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. It has been a rather dependable truck. I drive quite a bit, so far have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Service Electronic Throttle Control Message

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Hello Everyone,

I own a 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Ecodiesel. It has been a rather dependable truck. I drive quite a bit, so far have put 182,000 miles on this vehicle. But lately things have started to creep up on me. I had to do quite a bit of front end work, such as struts, and bearings etc... no big deal considering the mileage. But today the Service light came on indicating “Electronic Throttle Control Needs Servicing” message. I am now at a loss, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Do you guys think it will be costly. Prior to the light coming on the engine seemed to miss a bit, then the light came on, seems to be running fine now, but the light is still on. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1257 times
    that "Electronic Throttle Control Needs Servicing" accompanies a multitude of different errors
    you will need to have a place pull the actual code for more info ,
    either get a code reader ,or go to Napa ,or another place like Napa , they will pull it for you .

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Congratulations on your experience with the 2014 Ecodiesel. I had the same truck and the engine locked up at 36,000 miles. I got a replacement, a 2016 Ecodiesel and now have 70,000 mostly trouble free miles. I have also experienced "Service Electronic Throttle Control" message several times. In my experience if you accidentally touch the accelerator and the brake at the same time that message will appear immediately. However, simply restarting the engine always cleared the alert. I figured that God gave me 2 feet and I tend to use both of them to drive; therefore, on occasion I touch both pedals at the same time, it is very sensitive to this.

More recently my truck displayed "Service Electronic Throttle Control". This time was totally different. The truck drove fairly normally below 40 mph, however experienced a severe lack of power trying to get up to highway speed, and
    definitely lost power and speed trying to go up hills. Took it to the dealer and they told me the code pulled was "Turbo Under-Boost". They reset the PCM (Power-train control module) and performed a "Stationary De-Soot".
    It sounds to me like maybe the exhaust particulate filter had clogged up and the truck had not gone into regen mode automatically so they forced it into that mode. They did this repair in less than 1 hour and charged me nothing.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    JohnnyMac likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4 times
    I had the same message on my 2015 but when i shut it off it would not restart. Mine is still in the shop, (2-weeks now) replaced PCM and then it popped codes for crankshaft sensor and a code for the fuel injection. Crankshaft sensor came in yesterday so they will pull transmission and install it. My hope is this cures my issues but i am holding my breath. Good news is i have 95,000 miles on it and it's the first issue i have experienced with the engine. I don't want a new truck, i just want it to run again, my plan was to put a couple hundred thousand on it before i retired it. My advice to anyone who has not tried one of these is to drive one for a week, once you do most will have no desire to go back to gas V-8's and 6's, especially if you live in hill country. Mine was in the body shop a couple of months ago and i was given a brand new F-150 to drive for a week, nice truck but on the highway here in the mountains of NC the ecodiesel is superior in every way.
    Kazimodo and JohnnyMac like this.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Guys,

I really appreciate the info. I took it to the dealer, but I’m not sure they know what their talking about. They have tried to tell me that the turbo may have a leak or may need to be replaced AT A COST OF $4000.00! I’ll trade it in before put 4K into it! They are acting like it’s going to take some time to figure out! This is really exasperating me! Just don’t know what to do!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel Laramie Crew.
    Liked
    194 times
    Would highly suggest you read through my thread. $9000 in parts in mine and still didn't work. GDE tune. Worked fine after that. Just coming up on 101,000 miles now with no issues.

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...9-codes-2.html

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1257 times
    Richrob3 , not all Ram dealers have good tech for Diesel ,
    if you feel that dealer is lost , you should phone around and take your truck to another dealer
    with a tech that worked a lot on the Ecos . a good tech will narrow it down a lot quicker towards the real trouble
    compared to a bad newbie tech without the proper formation.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    510 times
    Same thing happened to my 2015 with the same under powered crap.
    It took about 5 minutes for the truck to reach highway speeds.
    Took it to the dealer - they blamed it on some sensor. Replaced same under warranty and I never got the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" ever again.
    Dealer blamed it on the severe cold at -40F with no winter front on. Been using the front ever since and it seems to be ok.
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ram ecodiesel, 03'ford 250 6.0 superduty, 05' volkswagen jetta tdi, toro 23hp kubota diesel
    Liked
    27 times
    we have 2015 with 100,500 mi. on it and get this same thing about every 3 months, we reset with scanner and keep on driving

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2335 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseldoya View Post
    Dealer blamed it on the severe cold at -40F with no winter front on. Been using the front ever since and it seems to be ok.
    Wowsers, -40F with no winter front, I could see that. I notice a difference with the engine temps in the mid 20's (°F) staying on the cool side without the winter front on. I could see why the dealer would mention that. At 0°F with only one lower open, I'll see just shy of a 40°F rise across the intercooler compared to ambient while traveling 73mph(boost pressure is about 13psi).
    Kazimodo likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links