Transmission Service? - Page 3

Transmission Service?

This is a discussion on Transmission Service? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Transmission forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by VernDiesel 525k on mine. Iíve changed the fluid 5 times now 3 times with filter. You win, Vern....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Transmission Service?

Member #
    Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    525k on mine. Iíve changed the fluid 5 times now 3 times with filter.
    You win, Vern.
    VernDiesel likes this.
    Doug Dickerson
    "We have not inherited the Earth from our parents, we have borrowed it from our children."

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1406 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rlhjr View Post
    Folks, Speaking on transmissions, has anyone purchased the GDE trans tune? I own a 2016 Bighorn 4x4 with 3.92 nor engine tune. I tow an RV some and was considering it for the truck but would appreciate any input.
    Thanks
    I run the ECM tune and trans tune, and they're great. Even better coupled together. I pull around 8k toy hauler regularly and the two tunes work very well together. The ECM with the turbo brake and the trans tune with it's intuitive downshifts in T/H mode to control descents. I wouldn't run it any other way.

When not towing, the trans tune really wakes up the truck. It's quick off the line in gears 1-3. The stock trans tune is really lazy. Money well spent.
    Blacky68 and podhauler like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I run the ECM tune and trans tune, and they're great. Even better coupled together. I pull around 8k toy hauler regularly and the two tunes work very well together. The ECM with the turbo brake and the trans tune with it's intuitive downshifts in T/H mode to control descents. I wouldn't run it any other way.

When not towing, the trans tune really wakes up the truck. It's quick off the line in gears 1-3. The stock trans tune is really lazy. Money well spent.

Thanks
    Bounty Hunter likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Didn't sound like you needed to change it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've had the trans tune and Hot tune for 40,000 km now and couldn't be happier. The difference is considerable. Gear command allows you to select and hold any gear (within parameters), engine braking option is a must if you're going to haul. My favourite part of the Trans tune is the annoying 8-7 downshift every time the truck looks at a hill is now gone. I estimate I save between 100-200 shifts per day because of the tune. Fuel economy went up because of the elimination of the nuisance downshift.
    lucskoj likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    524 times
    Quote Originally Posted by podhauler View Post
    I've had the trans tune and Hot tune for 40,000 km now and couldn't be happier. The difference is considerable. Gear command allows you to select and hold any gear (within parameters), engine braking option is a must if you're going to haul. My favourite part of the Trans tune is the annoying 8-7 downshift every time the truck looks at a hill is now gone. I estimate I save between 100-200 shifts per day because of the tune. Fuel economy went up because of the elimination of the nuisance downshift.
    You must have 3.55 gears? If yes...this is my experience on hills when I leave the Florida peninsula however the hills in the Panhandle are enough create the 8-7 annoyance.

Worth getting the 3.92 next time for just this reason...would never happen with a 6-speed...makes me wonder what the 3.55s with 10-speeds are doing.

All of my hardware is Apple so the trans tune is not available to me otw I would have it.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 279k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 186k / 4.400 hrs and counting

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 ram 1500 laramie, everything but the leaky roof, and the cracks in the side of the bed.
    Liked
    4 times
    Every automatic trans I have seen has the metal / fiber laying in the bottom of the pan when you remove it, just from break in and normal wear, the longer you drive the more you get, to a point. I have always done my own service, and when I have rebuilt or serviced new, the declining point of the break in period is about 30K on up to 50K, I changed my ecodiesel at roughly 40K, and drained it to check the contaminants and try to remove more old fluid at 60K, filter still pretty clean, got some more residue but am thinking it was left from old fluid in trans and torque converter. I dropped the pan again at 90K and it was still cleaner than the original change, so I put another pan/filter on and ran it.

The longer you go, the more you force particles thru your filter and thru your pump, bushings and bands, as well as servos and valves. ther hardest thing to do is make sure the level is back to proper fill, I used a oil sight glass to find proper level cold first start and run thru gears, shut down and check level, after getting the correct(as possible) hof fluid level.
    whitrock likes this.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1307 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I just used the correct size Allen wrench and it came right off. At first it made a clicking sound when I turned it and I thought I was stripping it, but actually I was unscrewing it. Special thanks to Capt. Mal and others for their threads on the steps for changing the fluid. That helped a lot.
    As a side note, there have been comments about the trans cooler lines and checking your fluid after the change to make sure the fill is correct. In my case, there was no change in fluid level. My transmission is funny though, some days it runs in the 170ís and then other days itís in the 190ís. Doesnít matter what the temp outside is. Itís strange.
    I have read about checking it more than once to check the cooler lines also. In my mind the coolers flow at leas some all the time I think so it shouldn't matter as long as you run it for a little bit before. Also if the cooler can drain itself then there is no guarantee that after you drive it etc. that it wont drain itself again, seems like a pointless measure to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links