Ram Ecodiesel Transmission Fluid Change - Page 2

Ram Ecodiesel Transmission Fluid Change

This is a discussion on Ram Ecodiesel Transmission Fluid Change within the RAM 1500 Diesel Transmission forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter I changed mine at 70k and the fluid analysis was good. Would have been comfortable waiting until 100k. I used ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ram Ecodiesel Transmission Fluid Change

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    I changed mine at 70k and the fluid analysis was good. Would have been comfortable waiting until 100k.

I used Valvoline MaxLife.
    I am assuming you just replaced the fluid you lost with the MaxLife and didn’t flush it somehow. In other words, you mixed the old and new fluids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tjkoen01 View Post
    I am assuming you just replaced the fluid you lost with the MaxLife and didn’t flush it somehow. In other words, you mixed the old and new fluids?

Exactly , there is a thread around explaining that some needed fibers are in suspension in oil
    and removing every last drop , before filling up again ,would not be beneficial .
    good threads : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...uid-check.html
    this one about the pan : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...fferences.html
    ZF instructions in PDF file .

make sure the transmission is taken back to needed temperature ( you can see it on the EVIC )
    and level rechecked then , after the transmission cooling system has taken oil around ,see at 12:15 minutes in the video.
    tjkoen01 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM Bighorn
    Liked
    238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    According to the owners manual its lifetime fluid. I changed mine at 100,000 miles.
    Yeah, it's a funny statement until you realize they are telling you this on your expensive transmission. The real LOL is that ZF whole sale denies this. They even have a video on how this is not true.
    2014 RAM Ecodiesel Bighorn
    2014 Dodge Durango V6 3.6L

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6239 times
    That's a popular video above. Just not for an Ecodiesel. The thermal control valve on the Ecodiesel is different than the one in the video. I do not know exactly how ours operates but think when closed it still holds fluid. When mine was changed the lines were immediately plugged as it appeared they were full of fluid. Sure there must be some fluid in that valve. Just hoping the proper fill procedure - a real PIA to me - will open that control valve up and get it full again. If not, so be it as mine has run maybe 20,000 miles since the valve change and what is felt as a proper fill procedure.

Many here talk of changing their pan and replacing the fluid. Some say it's an easy job. I say it's a miserable operation brought with heat from that DPF and a bit of discomfort dealing with that fill plug. Best with a lift and a second person in the drivers' seat that can start, operate the shifter in the proper sequence, watch the transmission temperature and make sense out of the directions. Finding an assistant with those skills is not as easy as it reads. Doing the work underneath, especially the filling in that restricted and hot space, sure was problematic for me.

I suggest going over the directions, finding an local independent garage with a lift and an reasonable assistant. Then have them do it properly with your competent guidance. The ZF transmission is reliable. It is not easily serviced without a dip stick and fill plug in a reasonable location.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Fellas.. 100K seems to be a good time to change transmission fluid. I'll do it then. Thanks everyone. Jim Ford
    97hmcs, Kazimodo and shawclan5 like this.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1389 times
    No, I changed my fluid completely and added the oversized aluminum trans pan from PPE. Pan is sweet. Added capacity, extra cooling, a serviceable filter, and a drain plug that actually works.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    No, I changed my fluid completely and added the oversized aluminum trans pan from PPE. Pan is sweet. Added capacity, extra cooling, a serviceable filter, and a drain plug that actually works.
    How did you completely change the fluid?

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1389 times
    How did you completely change the fluid?
    Is this one of those trick questions? LOL. Let's not get caught up in semantics. I changed it the same way most do.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6239 times
    Back when I changed mine it was because of extreme overheating multiple times. Some the old fluid was sent to a lab for analysis. Still good.

Just change the fluid if it's something you think needs to be done. What might be left that's not getting changed and mixed with the new is probably good. That's why it's no big deal hustling to change the fluid. Have yet to read of bad fluid coming out.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    99 Ram Sport 2014 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    73 times
    I havent seen a proper dump and flush yet but imagine the same as doing ,.. lets say 1999 ram,..whereby u hook onto the lines and flush it properly,

so if they get a portion of the fluid out and get the filter replaced it seems adequate to simply do the dump and fill method, and load that new fluid with the old muck.

Probably guessing but u might get 50% of new fluid,,mixed with old cooler line fluid , torque converter and the transfer line fluid and then close ur eyes and not think about that part , hahaa

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links