GDE Hot Tune Question

GDE Hot Tune Question

This is a discussion on GDE Hot Tune Question within the RAM 1500 Diesel Tuning forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; If i'm understanding this right. The GDE Hot Tune turns off the EGR valve, keeping crap from flying back into the engine. But it leaves ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: GDE Hot Tune Question

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram BigHorn Ecodiesel
    Liked
    1 times

GDE Hot Tune Question

If i'm understanding this right. The GDE Hot Tune turns off the EGR valve, keeping crap from flying back into the engine. But it leaves all the exhaust like the DEF system running on the truck? Or am i misunderstanding something.
    2014 Ram Big Horn ED
    So I got that going for me, which is nice.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1253 times
    You are correct. The hot tune also removes unnecessary injector cycles that reduces soot by 700%.
    coduh82, Jinx and Captainmal like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 4x4 Laramie longbox crewcab
    Liked
    668 times
    The hot tune can also disable the DEF for $50 additional "misc" fee. That would leave the DPF intact.

Call them up and ask questions. Or email them. I've found GDE to be incredibly helpful. FWIW, I'm a very happy customer of theirs.
    Houser likes this.
    2014 4x4 Laramie Crewcab, Longbox, 3.55, every option except RamBoxes and parking sensors.
    1A Auto power folding tow mirrors, Mopar wheel to wheel bars, Access Lorado tonneau cover
    Weathertech floormats & mudflaps, TrailFX hood protector, Edge Insight CTS, GDE Hot Tune

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    241 times
    Think about getting the DEF delete feature. $50 now will save you from resending the ECM to them a second time.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1036 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    Think about getting the DEF delete feature. $50 now will save you from resending the ECM to them a second time.
    I'm not a greenie, but I do believe in at least using the scr to it's fullest capacity to reduce NOx. The EGR just causes too much damage to make it worthwhile.

This means using DEF

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    957 times
    I agree with shaggn on this one. Really, the only reason that I went full (exhaust) delete was that I was being a cheap bastard and didn't want to pay for DEF any more. Now I'm missing out on the payout.

Also, "deleting" the DEF which would require no action by the way would eventually ruin the DEF tank and injector. So you might not be able to pass the criteria set forth in the settlement. Were I you, I would wait until after I collect to do any tuning at all. $3000 is $3000.
    mitchmaclean, HYDREX and MAS like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    241 times
    I got the 200 miles to no start message after about 25,000 miles of being tuned. DEF pump had failed. Also, I live in northern Maine, not many cars on the road. Absolutely, if yours is a 2016 or older, wait for the settlement, mine is a 2017, no settlement for me.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ecodiesel Limited Crew Cab
    Liked
    186 times
    I've seen here on the forum, from one of the moderators I believe, that FCA is required to be quite accomodating to owners in applying the new tune and then applying the warranty. I would think that anyone with just a tune and no removal of exhaust components would want to drive in, let them tune it, and if things like the DEF injectors fail then roll the dice on their willingness to repair. If you've kept distilled water in your DEF tank and have experienced no leaks, then I'd empty it, fill it with DEF, and go for the tune. The worst you would have it to remove your vehicle, send the ECM to GDE, and pay $50 to get back to normal. You would still get the $3000 as you actioned the application of the tune.

If you've removed your DPF and straight piped, the only way to go back is to go back, installing the DPF and all sensors to get as close to OEM as possible.

I'm not walking away from the money, and nothwithstanding anyone who has a full delete, we should feel entitled to getting the money. Regardless of what you have done to your vehicle since you purchased it, they sold you something that was originally defective and have a responsibility to make it right. It's a stretch but some owners who have a tune may elect to get the revised FCA tune applied and leave the truck stock as then they could legitimately sell it as OEM with the current, and legal tune. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1036 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RudolfDiesel View Post

I'm not walking away from the money, and nothwithstanding anyone who has a full delete, we should feel entitled to getting the money....... .
    you are in Canada like me , so far there is no money to walk away from,
    unless there is some new info that I missed .....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT EcoDiesel
    Liked
    3 times
    The Canadian class action suit isn't far along from my understanding. Is it still advisable for those that got a 2016 or earlier recently to wait to see if the suit goes anywhere for us? Or should we just tune once we have the cash to do so? For me the tune is going to be $2115 once you convert it because I want to keep the original ECM to switch it out in case of any warranty work needing to be done.

The whole class action suit might have made us think twice about getting the EcoDiesel over the Hemi, if we would have known about it prior to us making up our minds that is.

Everything I have read about the GDE Hot Tune it almost sounds like a must to have the engine last.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links