Banks Derringer issue

Banks Derringer issue

This is a discussion on Banks Derringer issue within the RAM 1500 Diesel Tuning forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hey y'all. First post here, hoping to find someone with a similar issue. I recently bought my 2016 Ram Limited Eco and it came with ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Towserdog
  • 2 Post By Towserdog

Thread: Banks Derringer issue

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited CCSB
    Liked
    5 times

Banks Derringer issue

Hey y'all. First post here, hoping to find someone with a similar issue. I recently bought my 2016 Ram Limited Eco and it came with the Banks Derringer, Banks "cat" back, and intake tube. When I test drove the truck I was impressed yet again with the smooth power and crisp shifts. Mind you we also own a 14 WK2 Eco which is my wife's car, that is also equipped with the GDE tune. That thing is serious beast and would catch me off guard often after driving my old Tacoma day in and out.

So, back to my truck. The tuner wasn't turned on when I test drove the truck. After getting it home and discovering this I flipped it to Plus/Tow and loved the added power and a little more turbo whistle. MPG was a little better too. Like 1-2 more. After a couple days I tried Sport mode and it worked well, a little more power and more whistle. I flipped it back to plus/tow and proceeded to drive like that for a week or so and discovered that my truck now has a distinct hesitation or stumble under load at part throttle with the tuner on. I flipped it to sport to see if that cures it, nope still there. Flipped it off, goes away.

I emailed Banks yesterday and am still waiting on a response back. Like I said just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Towserdog View Post
    Hey y'all. First post here, hoping to find someone with a similar issue. I recently bought my 2016 Ram Limited Eco and it came with the Banks Derringer, Banks "cat" back, and intake tube. When I test drove the truck I was impressed yet again with the smooth power and crisp shifts. Mind you we also own a 14 WK2 Eco which is my wife's car, that is also equipped with the GDE tune. That thing is serious beast and would catch me off guard often after driving my old Tacoma day in and out.

So, back to my truck. The tuner wasn't turned on when I test drove the truck. After getting it home and discovering this I flipped it to Plus/Tow and loved the added power and a little more turbo whistle. MPG was a little better too. Like 1-2 more. After a couple days I tried Sport mode and it worked well, a little more power and more whistle. I flipped it back to plus/tow and proceeded to drive like that for a week or so and discovered that my truck now has a distinct hesitation or stumble under load at part throttle with the tuner on. I flipped it to sport to see if that cures it, nope still there. Flipped it off, goes away.

I emailed Banks yesterday and am still waiting on a response back. Like I said just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!
    Sounds to me like it's a bad unit or bad connection. I'd try unplugging and reconnecting all the connectors and given it another try.

I'd also scan the ECU for pending codes.

Outside that, I'd just replace it w a gde.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited CCSB
    Liked
    5 times
    I'll take a look at the connections. Might be worth getting a tube of dielectric grease to keep them good too. I'm going to check and clean the MAP sensor while I'm at it just cause.

I'm really hoping Banks gets back to me about it. Doesn't seem like them to just leave me hanging.

I will say since I'll be using the truck to tow my travel trailer the new handheld tuner from PPEI that allows me to choose engine tunes and tune the transmission looks appealing.
    lucskoj likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    I'll take a look at the connections. Might be worth getting a tube of dielectric grease to keep them good too. I'm going to check and clean the MAP sensor while I'm at it just cause.

I'm really hoping Banks gets back to me about it. Doesn't seem like them to just leave me hanging.

I will say since I'll be using the truck to tow my travel trailer the new handheld tuner from PPEI that allows me to choose engine tunes and tune the transmission looks appealing.
    I havenít heard much from PPEI about a trans tune. Got any details on that?

You could also run their switch if you wanted. Just turn the knob to switch power levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited CCSB
    Liked
    5 times
    I can't seem find a ton of info on the transmission tuning they are going to offer. I just know they are working on offering it.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited CCSB
    Liked
    5 times
    I can't seem find a ton of info on the transmission tuning they are going to offer. I just know they are working on offering it.
    So I'll have to eat my own words on the transmission tuning. I've been in contact with them, PPEI and found out a couple things.

1. The flash tuner will not allow the user to simply change things in the tuning, IE turn on/off EGR, DEF, or DPF
    2. They are NOT going to offer any kind of transmission tuning through OBD.
    3. The $999.00 price tag is the price for not having to send them the ECU

I called Banks and am hoping to talk to a tech and see if maybe my tuner just needs an update. And if I can even do an update on it without the iDash.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1547 times
    Yet another reason to avoid sensor trickery. Go with a real tune.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited CCSB
    Liked
    5 times
    I finally spoke to a tech at Banks and he agreed it sounds like a tuner issue. He is sending me a bypass plug so I don't have to remove the complete harness to remove the Derringer. He also opened a ticket and I'm sending the Derringer to them so they can have a look at it.

I'll keep y'all posted
    97hmcs and pdvirgin like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram Limited CCSB
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Yet another reason to avoid sensor trickery. Go with a real tune.
    I couldn't agree more. If I can get the thing functioning correctly I might end up pulling it to install a GDE Hot Tune. Luckily I didn't buy it.

Member #
    Liked
    59 times
    So I'll have to eat my own words on the transmission tuning. I've been in contact with them, PPEI and found out a couple things.

1. The flash tuner will not allow the user to simply change things in the tuning, IE turn on/off EGR, DEF, or DPF
    2. They are NOT going to offer any kind of transmission tuning through OBD.
    3. The $999.00 price tag is the price for not having to send them the ECU

I called Banks and am hoping to talk to a tech and see if maybe my tuner just needs an update. And if I can even do an update on it without the iDash.
    1. Yeah you canít change that stuff with a flash tuner. All the handheld does is download and upload files. Instead of having to send in your ECU. Now you can have multiple files probably so you could swap from stock to other tunes and back to stock if you wanted.

2. Thatís a bummer.

3. Yeah I had heard price was going up cuz of the handheld. GDE will be the same. I think they said like $200 also for the handheld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links