EcoDiesel Transmission Tune

This is a discussion on EcoDiesel Transmission Tune within the RAM 1500 Diesel Tuning forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Hey all, My 2016 Ecodiesel HFE has shift controls (+/-) on the steering wheel, but it doesn't let me lock the truck in gear. For ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Bounty Hunter
  • 2 Post By Bounty Hunter
  • 1 Post By DrivingZiggy
  • 2 Post By Bounty Hunter

Thread: EcoDiesel Transmission Tune

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Hey all,

My 2016 Ecodiesel HFE has shift controls (+/-) on the steering wheel, but it doesn't let me lock the truck in gear. For example, I want to keep it in 8th gear on the highway, and if I give it more than 10% throttle it downshifts into 7th. It is a diesel, and should be handle some additional load in 8th gear. In order to get optimal fuel mileage, I am in a constant battle of trying to keep the truck in 8th gear which is extremely frustrating.

All the shift buttons let me do is:

1. Stop the vehicle from engine braking when going downhill
    2. Select a maximum gear for the truck to upshift to.

I believe GDE sells a transmission tune that allows you to take full control of the shifts, does anyone have experience with this? Or is it only my HFE model that doesn't let me take full control of the gears?

Any thoughts/insight appreciated.

RAM Bronze Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1492 times
    It's not just your HFE, all stock transmission tunes work in that manner.

I have the GDE trans tune. It will do what you're looking for. I requested they add the option to have the gear indicator always on. Handy to always know your gear even when the computer is shifting for you.

I love the trans tune, it's a great compliment to the ECM hot tune.
    Blacky68, John Jensen and TwoBobs like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    It's not just your HFE, all stock transmission tunes work in that manner.

I have the GDE trans tune. It will do what you're looking for. I requested they add the option to have the gear indicator always on. Handy to always know your gear even when the computer is shifting for you.

I love the trans tune, it's a great compliment to the ECM hot tune.
    The stock truck will lock out upper gears above set point but not force an upshift. Truck doesnt need to upshift unless it's in a position to do so, which in my opinion it does too fast anyway but that's the mpg tuning (in theory). A quick tap on the minus button will show gear allowed and gear it's in. If you always want to know what gear it's in, just hit the minus and then the plus up until it says 8. You can see what gear it's in as it will show up and downshifts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the info. I will likely get the trans tune. Is it just a reflash? No hardware required?

If Ram is going to reflash everything when I take it in for the settlement updates in a few months, will it get rid of the trans tune? And can I re flash it? Or does GDE somehow incorporate a one-time-use into their program?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, 5'7" box, 3.55's, Air suspension
    Liked
    204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ECOBRAP View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will likely get the trans tune. Is it just a reflash? No hardware required?

If Ram is going to reflash everything when I take it in for the settlement updates in a few months, will it get rid of the trans tune? And can I re flash it? Or does GDE somehow incorporate a one-time-use into their program?
    GDE will give you a tuner that will have the trans tune on it. You'll first download your original trans tune to the tuner module and then copy the GDE tune to your truck.

When you take your truck in for the engine flash you'll want to put your original trans tune back in the truck, take it in for the EPA-mandated flash, and then put the GDE tune back on the trans when you get home. If you get the GDE engine flash before the settlement update it will be written over - of course if you have a spare ECM with the GDE tune on it you can just swap it back in when you get home.

Bob
    2014 3.0 EcoDiesel, Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab, Graphite Gray, Saddle Brown Leather, 5'7" Box w/ Ram Boxes, Factory bedliner, BakFlip F1 Cover, BedRug, Air Suspension, 3.55's, DeeZee Tailgate Assist, Amp Research bumper step

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBobs View Post
    GDE will give you a tuner that will have the trans tune on it. You'll first download your original trans tune to the tuner module and then copy the GDE tune to your truck.

When you take your truck in for the engine flash you'll want to put your original trans tune back in the truck, take it in for the EPA-mandated flash, and then put the GDE tune back on the trans when you get home. If you get the GDE engine flash before the settlement update it will be written over - of course if you have a spare ECM with the GDE tune on it you can just swap it back in when you get home.

Bob
    The GDE trans programmer dies not come with the trans tune preloaded. When ou receive the programmer, you first update the programmer's software. then hook up to your truck and copy the stock trans tune. Email the stock trans tune to GDE and they promptly email you back with the modified tune for you to upload to the truck.

I don't believe GDE knows if their tune will work post-AEM until they've had time to analyze the AEM and how it will work with aftermarket tuning.
    TwoBobs and John Jensen like this.
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1002 times

However:
    Quote Originally Posted by GDE View Post
    CARB is not accepting EO applications on the ecodiesel while the EPA suit is still pending. Thus no engine or trans tuning in CA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EcoDiesel Transmission Tune-52593d1505215747-transmission-tune-interest-snap1.png  
    pqw3413 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM EcoDiesel OutDoorsman
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ECOBRAP View Post
    Hey all,

My 2016 Ecodiesel HFE has shift controls (+/-) on the steering wheel, but it doesn't let me lock the truck in gear. For example, I want to keep it in 8th gear on the highway, and if I give it more than 10% throttle it downshifts into 7th. It is a diesel, and should be handle some additional load in 8th gear. In order to get optimal fuel mileage, I am in a constant battle of trying to keep the truck in 8th gear which is extremely frustrating.

All the shift buttons let me do is:

1. Stop the vehicle from engine braking when going downhill
    2. Select a maximum gear for the truck to upshift to.

I believe GDE sells a transmission tune that allows you to take full control of the shifts, does anyone have experience with this? Or is it only my HFE model that doesn't let me take full control of the gears?

Any thoughts/insight appreciated.

SFT Transmission tune. $400 and you'll have control over your shifting.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaKingTuned View Post
    SFT Transmission tune. $400 and you'll have control over your shifting.
    Buck up and be a forum supporting vendor if you're going to push your product on here.
    TwoBobs and Hawaii_Built like this.

Sponsored Links