Switching Back to GDE

Switching Back to GDE

This is a discussion on Switching Back to GDE within the RAM 1500 Diesel Tuning forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Got the AEM over a month ago, so I have put some miles on the original ECM. When I switch back to the ECM with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Switching Back to GDE

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    23 times

Switching Back to GDE

Got the AEM over a month ago, so I have put some miles on the original ECM. When I switch back to the ECM with the GDE tune should I just follow the same procedure that I used when I first got the GDE tune? Should I try to time it so that it is switched back right after a regen has completed? I recall when I first installed the GDE tuned module it ran through the "90% plugged process", This time the tuned ECM won't be coming right from GDE, so my thought is it would not automatically run through that process when I put it back in.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4711 times
    Do you recall what percentage the GDE ECM was at when you removed it? That's the value I would want to match. When you reinstall the GDE that's exactly what the ECM will indicate is current.

Member #
    Liked
    115 times
    I thought I read it was re installed the same way as first time because it doesn't know where your soot % is on install and has to regen to start fresh. I am not positive about that. I am sure someone on here knows for certain. Good luck.
    Captainmal likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1440 times
    on subsequent swaps , the ECM will not send you on a regen ride ,
    Lifeson is right , if possible wait after a regen , then swap modules .
    If the removed module remembers you are at 15% ,
    on next install it will go from there , if you are actually at 60 % , it will take a long time before the 66% is reached ,
    taking you to high levels of soot in DPF .

BUT , I read that there is more data used to trigger a regen , like differences in pressure sensors , pre , and post DPF ,
    " the first one ", of a couple different sets of watched parameters reached , will trigger the regen , even if other parameters watched did not reach
    the trigger point , I guess only someone like GDE could answer that one . is it safe to trust that ?????

if you have a 2014,2015,2016 , with a Edge monitor , no sweat ,
    you ask the truck to start a regen with the monitor , ( called "mobile regen" in diagnostic section ,of Edge monitor ) ,
    and it will start as soon as minimum temperatures required are reached , no matter the soot % .

with a monitor or less expensive Torque Pro App you see the soot % all the time ,
    just put a piece of masking tape on removed module , with soot % written on masking tape for next swap.
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 07-21-2019 at 07:44 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post

BUT , I read that there is more data used to trigger a regen , like differences in pressure sensors , pre , and post DPF ,
    first one , of a couple different sets of watched parameters reached , will trigger the regen , even if other parameters watched did not reach
    the trigger point ,.
    You are correct my friend and GDE has commented on this in the past. I'll repost it because I know you will put it in your archives. You somehow have things organized much better than me.

Soot Loading Strategy (Quoted from Forum Sponsor GDE)
    The ECU runs two different strategies in parallel and takes the higher of the two outputs to determine the current soot loading:

Strategy 1 is a simulated value, and is calculated according to how complete the previous regeneration was, and how the engine/vehicle has been operating since then (engine speed, load, ambient conditions, exhaust temps, etc). Different OEMs design different variations of such a strategy, but for the most part the high level concepts are similar. The strategy employed by the Ram's stock tune is fairly rudimentary.

Strategy 2 is a physically measured value calculated off of measured pressure drop across the DPF, the DPF temperature, and the known flow rate of exhaust gasses.

The soot loading is used to trigger the regeneration when all the correct criteria are met.

Just as a note for some more info...

Passive regens happen when there is sufficient exhaust temperature and a favorable NO2/NOx ratio for the soot to burn. This phenomena will happen starting with exhaust temps in the 380-400°C range.
    However...the stock tunes are not capable to detect that passive regeneration is taking place, and to thus slow the modeled accumulation of soot and/or decrease it if the burn rate exceeds the production rate. This is why the intervals are not improved more in the highway cycles.

...we fixed this with our tunes, in order to avoid regenerating when it's not necessary.

the DPF is made to withstand a certain number of regens by being taken to very high
    temperatures , so the less regens the better.
    Kazimodo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1440 times
    Thanks Joe , copied to my Regen file , then I found my notes ...
    you already quoted that stuff before LOL
    post # 31 here :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...uestion-2.html

and :
    post # 5 here :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...since-gde.html

and :
    post # 11 here :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...n-process.html
    All from original,,
    post # 69 and 72 together here :
    https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...r-gains-4.html

I guess I'm getting lazy , I could have linked one of your posts instead of my bla bla bla .
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 07-21-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6858 times
    So what is wrong with just doing the normal "new install" procedures?

That's what I did with mine but it was one I just got back from GDE.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram Ecodiesel
    Liked
    4711 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    So what is wrong with just doing the normal "new install" procedures?

That's what I did with mine but it was one I just got back from GDE.
    If you kept your GDE ECM and used the original for the AEM, you won't see the regen option when you put the GDE ECM back in.

RAM Silver Member Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie
    Liked
    1712 times
    Why did you wait so long to reinstall the GDE tune?
    2016 Laramie CC 6'4", Delmonico Red, GDE Hot tune and Trans tune, External oil cooler, PPE Trans pan

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    Why did you wait so long to reinstall the GDE tune?
    Mainly because right after I got the update my wife and kids were headed out of town with the truck (my job kept me from going on this particular trip), and since everything was running fine I just decided not to mess with it. I wasn't thinking about the regen status being out of sync. Then when they got back after adding 1500 miles or so, I thought of the regen issue, so I've been putting it off ever since.
    97hmcs likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links