GDE Tune questions? Around town and rolling to a stop? - Page 3

GDE Tune questions? Around town and rolling to a stop?

This is a discussion on GDE Tune questions? Around town and rolling to a stop? within the RAM 1500 Diesel Tuning forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Garage - RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanics Corner category; Originally Posted by 97hmcs They offer a military discount and maybe a sale around Christmas time. I believe there was a 15% off coupon that ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: GDE Tune questions? Around town and rolling to a stop?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 97hmcs View Post
    They offer a military discount and maybe a sale around Christmas time.
    I believe there was a 15% off coupon that came out last fall - October I think it was. That was the first time I had seen a sale like that, so I jumped on it. Still wish I had done it sooner, though. I had about 58K on the truck when I got the tune.
    Last edited by Lifeson; 08-17-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2018 Ram 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel Regular cab
    Liked
    5 times
    will the trucks pass state emissions with the gde off road tune installed?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    Probably old, but maybe will help somebody else.... a great little video on YouTube explaining the exhaust stuff in simple terms for idiots like me!

I need a 50% off GDE coupon!!
    dloop likes this.
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel w/Ramboxes, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, Amp Research BedStep, Block heater grill plug, Custom Jumper cable grill plug, Mopar OEM running lights, Custom LED bed lights, Custom Rambox organizers, Putco Element chrome window visors, Recon LED tailgate light bar

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    I noticed the GDE website has a “Flasher Tool” listed for $195, with instructions on how to download the trucks file using the flasher, to be emailed to GDE. They then update it and return a new file we can load back on to the truck. Is this the same “hot tune”, or something else?? I’d be all over the 195 over the 700!
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel w/Ramboxes, Bakflip G2 tonneau cover, Amp Research BedStep, Block heater grill plug, Custom Jumper cable grill plug, Mopar OEM running lights, Custom LED bed lights, Custom Rambox organizers, Putco Element chrome window visors, Recon LED tailgate light bar

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED Crew Cab Big Horn
    Liked
    90 times
    Its for the transmission tune, not the engine control module Hot Tune.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve49 View Post
    Its for the transmission tune, not the engine control module Hot Tune.
    Dang! Thanks.... I guess I’ll have to start a go fund me page to get the GDE then!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1397 times
    it is $699 now , regular price $ 750 ,

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Limited Ecodiesel
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    it is $699 now , regular price $ 750 ,
    Great, but I need it $250, with $50 off!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn CC 5.7' 3.55
    Liked
    1397 times
    dre -e -e -e -eam , dream ,dream ,dream , dre -e-e-e-eam.
    you could find a deal that came thru here once , a used GDE tuned ECM for $500, just add another +/- $200
    to flash to your truck's specs .
    because the tune is transferable , if you decide to sell it , you get a lot of your money back ,
    I paid $800 to a member here for his used GDE tuned ECM in march 2018.
    I'll bet he did not regret originally buying it .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel 3.0
    Liked
    5 times
    There is both an environmental element to this question and an economic one.

Other than the $1000 or $750, the gain in performance comes of the GDE tune comes at the cost of increased emissions, someone mentioned increased NO or nitrous oxide levels. Some states like California are aware of this fact and prohibit GDE from selling there. Environmentally you are producing more Nitrous Oxide, but you are saving some fuel through increased mileage. Which is better environmentally? EPA of course says that the increased fuel consumption is less environmentally toxic than the increase in NO levels, so they want you to burn a little more fuel to keep the NO out of the atmosphere. So if you have an environmental conscious that bothers you that you are adding pollutants to the air and agree with the EPA then don't do GDE.

From a pure economic view let's calculate how long it would take to get your $1000 back. Diesel fuel here sells for about $3/gallon. Assume your average mileage increases 2 mpg from 20 mpg to 22mpg. Traveling 70,000 miles at 20mpg consumes 3500 gallons of fuel. That costs $10,500. After GDE and an increase to 22mpg, that same 70,000 miles only consumes 3182 gallons, a fuel savings of 318 gallons. That translates to a savings of $954 in fuel costs. So it would take about 70,000 miles just to get your $1000 investment back. That's a real long break even period. To "save" $1000 in fuel costs you would have to travel 140,000 miles. That could take 7 years or longer to get to if you ever do.

The intangible here of course is that some owners just want more pep and performance and this is a simple way to accomplish that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links