Winter Tire Opinions, General vs Bridgestone VS Firestone, 60s vs 65s, P VS LT

This is a discussion on Winter Tire Opinions, General vs Bridgestone VS Firestone, 60s vs 65s, P VS LT within the RAM 1500 Diesel Wheels and Tires forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Appearance - RAM 1500 Diesel Mod Corner category; Hey folks, looking for opinions on Winter Tires. I am looking at 2 options for my stock 20 inch wheels that I have. If I ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Winter Tire Opinions, General vs Bridgestone VS Firestone, 60s vs 65s, P VS LT

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Ram Big Horn | 06 Liberty CRD Sport
    Liked
    1055 times

Hey folks, looking for opinions on Winter Tires. I am looking at 2 options for my stock 20 inch wheels that I have. If I went stock size, I have the choice of General Grabber Arctic in P Rated XL or Blizzak DM-V2 in P Rated S tires. Generals will probably run me about $900 and the Blazzaks about $1000 installed, give or take. 2nd choice, I could go up one size to 275/65R20 and go again with the General Grabber Arctic in LT LR-E or Firestone Winterforce in LT LR-E (looks like it is being discontinued, but still in stock in places). Both of these will also run me about $1000 Installed.

I am already committed on the Jeep to Firestone Winterforce, and feel they are a decent tire, and had good luck until I hit something in a storm and blew one out. I will be replacing them because the price is right on the Jeep.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2
    2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, GDE Engine and Transmission Tuned
    Back to work, New Travel Trailer Coming!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Laramie CC ED 4x4
    Liked
    12 times
    I drove a Subaru of a friends with the Blizzaks last winter, it was on packed snow and that car would rip like it was on dry pavement. I liked them so much I just bought a set from Tire Rack on rims and road force balanced, delivered for 18 hundred. 275/65-20. I can squeeze the tread blocks they are that soft. I'm waiting until the snow starts in earnest here in Michigan before I put them on.

Edit: That included the TPMS too
    Last edited by Downsea; 10-28-2016 at 05:27 PM.
    2255 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie Crew Standard EcoDiesel
    Liked
    39 times
    i have been using Blizzaks for the last 5 winters. I will buy a replacement set this year. I would estimate 30k plus miles. They have been amazing. My wifes car has ice x and i would recomend those also.
    vindiesel likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 4x4 Outdoorsman Quad Cab
    Liked
    195 times
    Kind of hard to tell on a Subaru isn't it? I always put a few hundred pounds in the back of my truck to give the back some weight and even then I slip sometimes and need 4x4 from a light (here in Idaho). Now if you had winter tires w/ studs....

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    547 times
    I've been using Firestone Winterforce tires for years. I'v had good luck with them and the pricing has been the best by far.

I also buy separate wheels for the winter and try to get a skinnier tire by dropping a couple of rim sizes but keeping with the same diameter tire. When it comes to heavy snow wide is not what you want. My awd Audi was terrible in the snow with the stock 18" wide low profile tires! I changed to 16" Winterforce tires that were narrower and that thing was like a little tank in the snow!

Good snows make the difference between getting out and pushing and shoveling or just driving away.
    EcoD and CDNLaramie like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1055 times
    Anyone see any benefit in going to the LT tires in the 65 series? I don't tow in the Winter. I got my LTX tires in the summer for that. Maybe put some weight in the bed if I have to move something heavy, but not excessive.

Also, the wider vs narrower debate, I feel it all depends on your areas road conditions. My area has a lot of packed snow when it snows, so a wider footprint is, IMHO, better.
    2015 Ram 1500 ED Big Horn (Purchased 8/15) CC 6.5' Bed, GDE Tuned Since Week 1, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit Tonneau, 1A Auto Tow Mirrors, Debadged, SLT Grill Inserts, XD 797 Spy 18x8.5 Wheel with Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 LT275/65R18 Tires, 20" Stock Wheels Plastidipped with 275/60R20 Blizzaks DM-V2

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    547 times
    Quote Originally Posted by choochooman74 View Post

Also, the wider vs narrower debate, I feel it all depends on your areas road conditions. My area has a lot of packed snow when it snows, so a wider footprint is, IMHO, better.
    I have to disagree. I guess its from working with heavy equipment. Track machines that worked in wet or swampy areas would have extra wide track pads to give them less ground pressure per square inch so that they wouldn't sink into the soft ground. In contrast machines that worked on ledge in quarry's used narrower tracks for higher ground pressure to keep them from sliding on the rock ledge.
    So to me the higher ground pressure of a narrower tire should give you better traction in snow. ( I also add a couple of hundred pounds in the bed for higher ground pressure.)
    The downside is that in dry conditions you will have less traction than a wider tire so there is a trade off I think in that respect. Overall I really don't think that it would be a huge difference between a little wider tire or a narrower tire in normal driving conditions, especially with 4WD.
    I live in the Adirondacks @ 1250 ft where winter conditions can come on quickly and be rather extreme and I'm gettin old so driving a little slower in dry conditions is OK for me.
    If I was still a flatlander living north of Boston I think that I would go for the wider tires.

Good luck and safe winter driving!
    Patroller8D, EcoD, sfraser and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    1055 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram1 View Post
    I have to disagree. I guess its from working with heavy equipment. Track machines that worked in wet or swampy areas would have extra wide track pads to give them less ground pressure per square inch so that they wouldn't sink into the soft ground. In contrast machines that worked on ledge in quarry's used narrower tracks for higher ground pressure to keep them from sliding on the rock ledge.
    So to me the higher ground pressure of a narrower tire should give you better traction in snow. ( I also add a couple of hundred pounds in the bed for higher ground pressure.)
    The downside is that in dry conditions you will have less traction than a wider tire so there is a trade off I think in that respect. Overall I really don't think that it would be a huge difference between a little wider tire or a narrower tire in normal driving conditions, especially with 4WD.
    I live in the Adirondacks @ 1250 ft where winter conditions can come on quickly and be rather extreme and I'm gettin old so driving a little slower in dry conditions is OK for me.
    If I was still a flatlander living north of Boston I think that I would go for the wider tires.

Good luck and safe winter driving!
    Now, I am coming from Racing experience. More contact you have with the ground, the more traction you have. Continental tire has even done test that say wider, on average, is better (Details here Wide tires). Also, I also think of it as ski vs snow shoe. But, we all have our opinions, and would love to see unbiased testing of this. (Stopping, Accelerating, Slalom with 2 sets (wide and narrow) of multiple brands of snow tires on a few different vehicles)

Still, for my questions, still looking for...
    Opinions on the General Grabber Arctic tires.
    Any reason to go LT 65's. I am thinking
    Pros
    - Tougher sidewall protection and 1/2 inch more rubber to the rim of the wheel.
    - 1/2 inch more ground clearance
    Cons
    - Harsher Ride
    - Less Fuel Efficiency.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Eco diesel 1500
    Liked
    938 times
    Now, I am coming from Racing experience. More contact you have with the ground, the more traction you have. Continental tire has even done test that say wider, on average, is better (Details here Wide tires). Also, I also think of it as ski vs snow shoe. But, we all have our opinions, and would love to see unbiased testing of this. (Stopping, Accelerating, Slalom with 2 sets (wide and narrow) of multiple brands of snow tires on a few different vehicles)

Still, for my questions, still looking for...
    Opinions on the General Grabber Arctic tires.
    Any reason to go LT 65's. I am thinking
    Pros
    - Tougher sidewall protection and 1/2 inch more rubber to the rim of the wheel.
    - 1/2 inch more ground clearance
    Cons
    - Harsher Ride
    - Less Fuel Efficiency.
    Try pmctire.com they give good ratings for that tire
    i priced new cooper discovrer m+s tires on 17s. 169$ each. And same tire in 10 ply about 230 each all can funds

the grabber is a typical winter tire with good ratings better than regulAr all terrain tired just compare the ratings
    choochooman74 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    441 times
    Also, I also think of it as ski vs snow shoe.
    Apples and turnips, of course the narrower ski won't have as much traction as the wider snow shoe. Ski has a smooth base the snow shoe is designed for traction and flotation.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links