Falken Wildpeak H/T initial impressions.

This is a discussion on Falken Wildpeak H/T initial impressions. within the RAM 1500 Diesel Wheels and Tires forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Appearance - RAM 1500 Diesel Mod Corner category; So, I'm back from the Bahamas trip. You can see the video in the other forum. Here is your briefing from my previous posting. Originally ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Falken Wildpeak H/T initial impressions.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times

Exclamation Falken Wildpeak H/T initial impressions.

So, I'm back from the Bahamas trip. You can see the video in the other forum. Here is your briefing from my previous posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    So I just ordered some tires. Here is the long story of what just happened. Y'all know how I ramble on!

My direct deposit hit today (Monday) instead of the usual Friday. I'm leaving Thursday for my annual jetski trip to The Bahamas. So time is of the essence. I've ordered from Tire Buyer before and got the tires within a couple/few days, so I was really pushing it! But I also still had to pay off my credit card with my late deposit so that I would actually have enough $$$ to order. Time was not on my side for sure!

So I called them. Eric picked up the phone and was very helpful. His extension is 4159 if anybody would like to contact him after reading my pamphlet here. So, anyway. I told him about my time situation and that I wanted the Generals. He said that they had them in North Little Rock and shipping would take 3-5 days, so it would be dicey.

But he knows his product and the location(s) of said product, so here is what happened next. He found me a Falken with a "similar" tread pattern. Wildpeak H/T. Located in Baton Rouge--I'm in Lafayette, about 55 miles away. So I can have them tomorrow! Yay! I looked at them on the website and they do look similar. And Falken has been around a while, so I was not as adverse to getting them as I was to the Nokian.

Here's how the $$$ came together: $129.99 each/$519.96 set. So we're already starting at a price $112 less than the Generals, $72 more than the Nokians. So then I got a $20 discount for using their installer and an additional $40 for ordering over the phone, bringing it down to $459.96. That brings it to $172 less than the Generals, $12 more than the Nokians. After applying the discounts and comparing that to the Generals (that 8% was no longer available!) it comes to $121.44 less. Oh, and they collected $27.60 in taxes. Still going to the same installer, so $68 there. Plus, since I was doing it over the phone he was able to split the cost between two credit cards so I didn't have to go to the credit card site and pay on the card and wait for that to hit before I could continue. Damn! It sucks to be so broke! (But things are actually looking up for the past month or so.)

So after all is said and done, $527.96 for the Falkens as opposed to $680.66 for the Generals ($152.70 savings) and $535.56 for the Nokians ($7.60 savings). I can't believe it actually came out cheaper than the Nokians!!! I will be sure to report on how they are working out.

On paper, their numbers are not quite as good as the Generals. There is only a 60,000 mile warranty versus a 65,000 mile warranty. UTQG is 600AB versus 680AB. Load/speed rating is 115H versus 119T. Max load at 51psi is 2679 versus 2998.

I'll be driving ~1,000 miles to the Miami area to put the WaveRunner in the water then ~1,000 miles back. So I'll have a small amount of data for you guys when I get back. But don't count on me to remember. Especially since I'll be fresh from vacation and tires will not be on my mind.
    So, the first thing I noticed was that the tires improved the ride quite a bit! Instead of slapping each pavement crack (we have a few of those in Louisiana!) with a "loud" noise and a small slapping-like impact, the new tires were now "absorbing" some of that impact. Hence, the ride was immediately nicer and quieter. I haven't decided yet if the normal tread against the pavement noise is less or the same.

The tire pressure stayed at 45 the entire trip for all 4 tires. I wanted them a little harder for better economy.

Did I say economy? Well, the friend that I picked up in Florida along with his wife and his WaveRunner is contemplating buying a 3D. And since my driving style would be much too slow for him, I let him drive. Shucks, he was paying for the fuel anyway. We ended up with 18 mpg. That sucks, right? But he was driving 85 the entire trip. Sometimes creeping up to 90. He was quite pleased with the truck and is planning to get one for sure now.

Well, that's all I have to report as of yet. I guess I'll update next year.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    So these are the factory tires with 79,825 miles on them (the four top ones):

This one looked the best:

This one looked the worst:

And here is what the new tires' tread looks like:

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 BlueStreak EcoDiesel OD CC
    Liked
    177 times
    What were those? 20" Goodyear SRA's?
    I only have 25k miles on mine and they dont look much better.
    2016 Ecodiesel 4x4 Outdoorsman
    2012 Pentastar Blacktop Charger
    1972 400-4 Plymouth Road Runner

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6536 times
    You really drive on the road?

I mean your factory tire mileage is spectacular.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    168 times
    It never ceases to amaze me that people are willing to sacrifice their safety to eek out every possible mile from their tires.

I'm not that tight, I would have been tire shopping 10,000 miles ago.

Member #
    Liked
    198 times

C'mon a couple of those tires still have visible siping. Plenty more miles to go!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 CCSB bighorn Eco
    Liked
    779 times

Quote Originally Posted by msp548 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that people are willing to sacrifice their safety to eek out every possible mile from their tires.

Not everyone is in your nor my situation. He clearly expressed finances are tight by what I read. I refuse to try and shame him, and to make a play on your post....I don't understand others judging perfect strangers. That said, I drove my last set of cooper AT3's to the wear bars at 48kish miles. That said I did drop $1200 on a new set of 19 ply Nokian rotiva AT's and an alignment, and they are great so far! He got away with spending merely half of that. Great bargain shopping in my eyes.
    Last edited by B-g-K; 05-19-2017 at 12:35 AM.
    Diesel78, TexasJoe and Ram1 like this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Laramie 4X4 Bright Silver with matching Leer cap.
    Liked
    168 times
    Quote Originally Posted by B-g-K View Post
    Not everyone is in your nor my situation. He clearly expressed finances are tight by what I read. I refuse to try and shame him, and to make a play on your post....I don't understand others judging perfect strangers. That said, I drove my last set of cooper AT3's to the wear bars at 48kish miles. That said I did drop $1200 on a new set of 19 ply Nokian rotiva AT's and an alignment, and they are great so far! He got away with spending merely half of that. Great bargain shopping in my eyes.

My post was intentionally written as a generalization. Read it again.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyg29 View Post
    What were those? 20" Goodyear SRA's?
    I only have 25k miles on mine and they dont look much better.
    Yup. The factory 20" SRAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    You really drive on the road?

I mean your factory tire mileage is spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by msp548 View Post

I'm tight, but the money just was not there in my case. Still struggling, but things are looking up. If I can just keep the big truck from breaking...

Quote Originally Posted by Henfield View Post
    C'mon a couple of those tires still have visible siping. Plenty more miles to go!

Hey, I was willing to push them further. However, I was picking up some other folks and dragging the WaveRunners a couple thousand miles. With the other guy driving. So not slow like me. More like 85-90 getting ~18 mpg. And I knew that's how he would drive, so I wanted to be sure my tires could handle the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by B-g-K View Post
    Thanks, B! But I'm FAR from perfect.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Big Horn EcoDiesel
    Liked
    1028 times
    Oh, I forgot to put in the last post: It was rainy yesterday and I broke traction several times while taking off from a stop. I'm not sure it's because of the tires or not. I was getting a lot of that with the previous tires, too. So it's probably just a combination of the wetness and the tune giving me that unintended slippage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links