Load range E factory upgrade question - Page 2

Load range E factory upgrade question

This is a discussion on Load range E factory upgrade question within the RAM 1500 Diesel Wheels and Tires forums, part of the RAM 1500 Diesel Appearance - RAM 1500 Diesel Mod Corner category; Have enjoyed Cooper E’s the last 60k miles. Had I known about ordering them factory would have done that. Super tires and I get great ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Load range E factory upgrade question

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6536 times
    Have enjoyed Cooper E’s the last 60k miles. Had I known about ordering them factory would have done that. Super tires and I get great fuel mileage into the 30’s.

Do not believe E-rated tires hurt my fuel mileage. I run 65-70 psi all the time and they are great.
    dzink24, sourdo and MAS like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 RAM 1500 QC 2X4 Tradesman Pentastar V6
    Liked
    13 times
    Thank you for all the replies so far! Now for some more specific info on my question. I currently have a 2017 1500 QC tradesman 4x2 Pentastar, 3.55 with the stock standard load SR/A tires. As a grocery getter, this tire setup is just fine. I however, work this truck to the max. It tows dump trailer much of the summer, and in about 30,000 miles, I'm up to at least 5 flat tires. One tire has at least 2 plugs. The puncture resistance is comical at best, but again, i understand they are a standard load tire on a 1500. I've gone so far as to have a shop swap out my spare with one of the damaged tires (which, you guessed it) so that i could eliminate as many plugs as possible from my drive tires. I have on order, 2019 classic, in the exact same body, but with Hemi, 3.92, large fuel tank, vinyl/vinyl, trailer brake, anti spin, U3 and most importantly, LR E tires. I am trying to figure out if i should sell my extra set of snow tires, use the "Silent Armor" (if they are still the tire used) for winter, and purchase a set of the LR E Michelin Defender MTX for summer driving to reduce rolling resistance while keeping a tougher tire under me. I understand the "negatives" of a heavier tire, but if it means not having to change flats at often, it is well worth the minimal fuel penalty.

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1458 times
    My recommendation, forget about the big names BFG at’s michelins etc. shop tire sales and buy the cheapest set of name brand e range tire with the all season tread pattern you need and never look back. Inflate them by the chalk test and they will last a long time and I’ve never had them hurt my fuel mileage, but I’m not a red light racer either, I presume that is where most of the fuel mileage complaints come from.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Tradesman 2WD CC GC
    Liked
    101 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    My recommendation, forget about the big names BFG at’s michelins etc. shop tire sales and buy the cheapest set of name brand e range tire with the all season tread pattern you need and never look back. Inflate them by the chalk test and they will last a long time and I’ve never had them hurt my fuel mileage, but I’m not a red light racer either, I presume that is where most of the fuel mileage complaints come from.
    +1.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 1500 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    46 times
    I guess I don’t agree with anyone so far. I like E’s for the puncture resistance, they wear better, and while the loads we carry are within the rating of P tires LT’s do it much more confidently. I have also never noticed a difference in fuel mileage. Definitely not a drop from 19 to 14 lol

Agree 100%.

My first replacements were 285/70-17's (8 ply)..... Then I decided to go narrow and did, 255/80-17's (10 ply). Next to go on will be 285/75-17's which are 10 ply.

The MPG computer shows lower MPG, like an average of 22-23, but when I hand calculate, I am getting 25-26 mpg.

Also agree 100%. Matter of fact, I have started buying my tires at WalMart.com, as they are the least expensive anywhere.... and they install and balance for only $12 a tire, which includes free rotation every 5k miles. Just can't beat $131 a tire for 285/75-17's!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-Roa...0ply/778888975

It seems the E range, 10 ply tires are made with a different rubber compound and they last a lot longer than standard tires. My OEM tires only lasted 20k miles. Since I went to D-E range tires, I am getting 45-50k out of them.

I've never done the chalk test, but believe I will in the near future. I honestly run my tires constantly at about 65 psi, because I tow our camper about every 3rd week, 8 months of the year.
    dzink24 likes this.
    John of Colorado
    '14 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4 QuadCab
    http://www.gracemotoadv.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links