Water vapor, mist or ??? coming from A/C vents ???

This is a discussion on Water vapor, mist or ??? coming from A/C vents ??? within the RAM 1500 General Discussion (Non Diesel) forums, part of the RAM 1500 (NON DIESEL) category; OK - so this one is new to me. I had a 2017 EcoDiesel and it's been flawless so far (25K miles). But, I experienced ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Water vapor, mist or ??? coming from A/C vents ???

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

OK - so this one is new to me. I had a 2017 EcoDiesel and it's been flawless so far (25K miles). But, I experienced something the other morning I've never seen before. I had the climate control in "air only" i.e., no A/C, but when I went to turn the A/C on, a mist or fog as it were came billowing out of the center vents for a good 10 - 15 seconds. I thought I was back at an '80s concert where they had dry ice ... if you're as old as me, you'll get the reference.

This happened again when I repeated the air only to A/C cycle but never after that. No issues with the operation of the truck or A/C Wasn't a coolant leak, didn't have that smell (I've had heater cores in older cars fail), actually had no smell at all...which leads me to believe it was water vapor or steam.

Anyone else ever experienced this? My dealer who is pretty reputable has never heard of this. And of course, it's not repeatable. But, it was a serious mist/vapor coming out.

Any thoughts? The truck went to the shop for a CEL on a transmission switch or code that popped up, but I can't see how the two could be related ....

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    Do you notice water draining under the truck using the ac. If not the drain tube or box is plugged for the evaporator box.
    sourdo likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2369 times
    The AC in these trucks turns itself on at times for who knows why. If the dewpoint conditions are right, it's probably that air was condensing once it came out of the vents. I had something similar happen but it was while I driving down the freeway and turned the AC on, it was a different vehicle though.
    As mentioned above, it's a good ide to check if the water is draining from the truck, having extra moisture around the evaporator coil would help create conditions like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel; GDE tuned
    Liked
    25 times
    yes on a really hot day, I see that occasionally for a couple of seconds. Just need a strobe light and some disco music and we could run a little night club with the added fog, .

I think it's just moisture on the coils that chill super fast when you turn on the ac? I see puddles under my truck all the time so I don't think any hoses are ac plugged
    Last edited by cds13ca; 07-20-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you everyone - your suggestions / ideas are appreciated. I will have them check to make the water is properly draining from the coil. It was definitely water vapor so that makes perfect sense!

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DixonCAdiesel View Post
    OK - so this one is new to me. I had a 2017 EcoDiesel and it's been flawless so far (25K miles). But, I experienced something the other morning I've never seen before. I had the climate control in "air only" i.e., no A/C, but when I went to turn the A/C on, a mist or fog as it were came billowing out of the center vents for a good 10 - 15 seconds. I thought I was back at an '80s concert where they had dry ice ... if you're as old as me, you'll get the reference.

This happened again when I repeated the air only to A/C cycle but never after that. No issues with the operation of the truck or A/C Wasn't a coolant leak, didn't have that smell (I've had heater cores in older cars fail), actually had no smell at all...which leads me to believe it was water vapor or steam.

Anyone else ever experienced this? My dealer who is pretty reputable has never heard of this. And of course, it's not repeatable. But, it was a serious mist/vapor coming out.

Any thoughts? The truck went to the shop for a CEL on a transmission switch or code that popped up, but I can't see how the two could be related ....
    I had that happen with a different brand, a 2011 Chevy Silverado. One warm day, about 80 F, I turned up the A/C and mist comes out the vents. A couple of months later the blower froze up from the water going through.

In the end, I tapped the little rubber hose that drains the condenser collector, and about a quart of water came out. Don't know what was plugging it up, but after that it drained fine.

Try starting your truck up, turn on the a/c on high, confirm that water is coming out the bottom and go from there. You should have the cabin filter, I have a 2017 and changed it once, stuff was in it, pine needles, bugs.

Good luck
    Cheers
    sourdo

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1515 times
    I’ve had the same happen in my last 3 pickups 2 rams and a gm a/c worked fine in all of them.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.0 Ecodiesel 3.55 Axle
    Liked
    448 times
    I have to say, cold mist really feels nice on a hot day, lol.....
    97hmcs likes this.
    Cheers
    sourdo

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Laramie LTD Crew Cab ED Black of course.
    Liked
    511 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cds13ca View Post
    yes on a really hot day, i see that occasionally for a couple of seconds. Just need a strobe light and some disco music and we could run a little night club with the added fog, .

I think it's just moisture on the coils that chill super fast when you turn on the ac? I see puddles under my truck all the time so i don't think any hoses are ac plugged
    ditto
    2015 Laramie ED 1500 Crew 4X4 Loaded. At 42000 kms now
    2003 GMC Duramax 2500 Crew 6.6 litre Diesel 4X4 Loaded
    1993 Chevrolet 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel Ext Cab Loaded
    1986 GMC 1500 2 WD 6.2 litre Diesel REG CAB Loaded

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thanks again for the replies - I had the dealer check whether the condensor was draining properly, and it is. A/C works fine, and since it's not a repeatable issue, I'll see what happens or whether it ever happens again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links