Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins - Page 2

Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins

This is a discussion on Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins within the Ram 2500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; Originally Posted by VernDiesel Captain we may be able to order a 2020 ED before summers end for fall delivery with the 2nd gen ED. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins

  1. #11
    RAM Guru shawclan5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    969
    Member #
    18097
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    521 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDiesel View Post
    Captain we may be able to order a 2020 ED before summers end for fall delivery with the 2nd gen ED. Wasn’t the 4th gen tradesmans also available with the air suspension? If that holds true to form with the 5th gen you may consider it. Being in Florida you wouldn’t have the cold issues our Canadian friends have. Also not only is it nice to drop the truck for easy entree & exit but also for loading the bed. Even drops the truck an inch for improved aerodynamics IE fuel economy for interstate cruising.

    BTW the 3.92 trucks are still comfortable cruising 85 mph. Certainly not as efficient as a 3.55 truck at that speed but the motor is still in the top end of its comfortable efficient range. Out west where the speed limits are 80 I have done long stretches of 82-85 and often still get 22-23 mpg while doing it. I say this because I think you would like the 3.92 better towing a toy hauler and also that at times unloaded you like to roll.
    80-85 nets my 3.55 20-21mpgs. Probably better but only slightly for a non leveled truck and I am running 12.5 E rated ATs...just not convinced the 3.92 makes a significant difference regarding MPG inefficiencies overall. My next truck will be looking for 3.92.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 279k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 186k / 4.400 hrs and counting


  2. #12
    RAM Diamond Member Captainmal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sundance (Wimauma), Florida
    Posts
    11,453
    Member #
    185
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Haul N Grass View Post
    Capt.... Did you happen to notice the price of the 2019’s ?
    Yes. Saw little money difference but not looking for that so not sure. Did see some offered at good discounts. If I would move in that direction expect to get something in the mid-higher $40's. Try looking at the Lakeland Ram site for an example. There are a few local dealers with 2019's. Wells, in Avon Park, is NOT one of them.

    Firkins has been literally all over me today with texts, emails and a call to see if they can sell me something. I had to inform them on all three media about the Ecodiesel settlement and how that affects current Ecodiesel owners related to immediate purchase. Clueless. Best way I can describe their knowledge from internet manager, salesman and sales manager. Clueless.

    Leaving for the races right this moment.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

  3. #13
    RAM Guru Henfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,049
    Member #
    20793
    Liked
    197 times
    You got me thinking that an 8 speed could be too much rpm wise to play nice with the CTD. Perhaps it's time to lock out some gears especially first when not towing. CTD are towing animals.
    TFL continues its love affair with FCA products with a HO CTD 3500 up the Ike Gauntlet video. Mr Truck loved it.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    RAM Diamond Member Captainmal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sundance (Wimauma), Florida
    Posts
    11,453
    Member #
    185
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Henfield View Post
    You got me thinking that an 8 speed could be too much rpm wise to play nice with the CTD. Perhaps it's time to lock out some gears especially first when not towing. CTD are towing animals.
    TFL continues its love affair with FCA products with a HO CTD 3500 up the Ike Gauntlet video. Mr Truck loved it.
    Too much rpm??? I would think the 8 speed would have a lower top gear and therefore LOWER the rpm. That higher rpm is my major complaint about the 6 speed and the dropping of the lower gear ration rear end. With that higher ratio rear end the rpm's will be higher at cruising speed and result in more fuel consumption. To me that is a bummer I will not tolerate. I want fuel mileage.

    Last night after the races I was just cruising south on I 75 fitting into a slot so no traffic passed and I did not pass much. Looked down after a while and was doing 85 mph. Watched the instant EVIC consumption bar and it was hovering around 27 mpg, lower than my normal 28+ in the 75 mph range. I slowed down to 75 and stayed there. Traffic started to pass so I felt more comfortable picking it up a bit.

    Because of local high traffic speeds I am thinking the new Cummins is NOT desirable as a vehicle to cruise at Florida interstate speeds. Maybe an extra couple of over drive gears will improve that if FCA refuses to offer a 3:45 rear end ratio.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

  6. #15
    RAM Rookie Patriot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    12
    Member #
    36852
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram EcoDiesel
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Too much rpm??? I would think the 8 speed would have a lower top gear and therefore LOWER the rpm. That higher rpm is my major complaint about the 6 speed and the dropping of the lower gear ration rear end. With that higher ratio rear end the rpm's will be higher at cruising speed and result in more fuel consumption. To me that is a bummer I will not tolerate. I want fuel mileage.

    Last night after the races I was just cruising south on I 75 fitting into a slot so no traffic passed and I did not pass much. Looked down after a while and was doing 85 mph. Watched the instant EVIC consumption bar and it was hovering around 27 mpg, lower than my normal 28+ in the 75 mph range. I slowed down to 75 and stayed there. Traffic started to pass so I felt more comfortable picking it up a bit.

    Because of local high traffic speeds I am thinking the new Cummins is NOT desirable as a vehicle to cruise at Florida interstate speeds. Maybe an extra couple of over drive gears will improve that if FCA refuses to offer a 3:45 rear end ratio.
    You are thinking about this wrong. The MAJOR component in the equation for MPG at speed is wind resistance. The reality is that the effect of gear ratios is comparatively going to be very small. Have a look at this chart which is a reasonable approximation of speeds on a vehicle's fuel mileage. (Note that the curves may be a little flatter for a real slippery sports car and worse for an aerodynamic brick like a pick-up truck. 3/4 and 1-ton truck are additionally plagued (aerodynamically) by their height and other things being equal, the additional ride hieitght alone will impact fuel mileage over their 1/2 ton cousins.)

    In short, your assumption that gearing can change the slope of these curves is incorrect. Gearing would likely have an almost unnoticeable effect - hence the reason the OEMs gear as they do.

    Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins-mpg.jpg

  7. #16
    RAM Diamond Member Captainmal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Sundance (Wimauma), Florida
    Posts
    11,453
    Member #
    185
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
    You are thinking about this wrong. The MAJOR component in the equation for MPG at speed is wind resistance. The reality is that the effect of gear ratios is comparatively going to be very small. Have a look at this chart which is a reasonable approximation of speeds on a vehicle's fuel mileage. (Note that the curves may be a little flatter for a real slippery sports car and worse for an aerodynamic brick like a pick-up truck. 3/4 and 1-ton truck are additionally plagued (aerodynamically) by their height and other things being equal, the additional ride hieitght alone will impact fuel mileage over their 1/2 ton cousins.)

    In short, your assumption that gearing can change the slope of these curves is incorrect. Gearing would likely have an almost unnoticeable effect - hence the reason the OEMs gear as they do.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPG.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	79840
    Agree that fuel mileage is dramatically affected by wind resistance. Agree that aerodynamic design is extremely important to improve fuel mileage. Neither issue will explain this.

    I owned a 5.9 Cummins 2500 with the 3:73 rear end. Granted I had a manual transmission and no longer remember the 6th gear ration compared to that rear end ratio. A close friend, now deceased, also had the same Cummins 2500 near the same year and same configuration but he had an automatic transmission with 3:45 rear end gearing. We would both drive the same I 75 from South Florida to our shared hunting camp in central Georgia. At times we would share a ride, using each-others' trucks and often pulling the same quad trailer. Same engine, same body, one year apart, different transmissions and different rear-end ratios. To me the aerodynamic drag would be the same for both vehicles.

    Now we often used to switch off driving these two Cummins 2500's. His consistently, with the automatic transmission and 3:45's. Ran about 250 rpm LESS than mine at speeds 70 mph or higher in top gear. From what I could tell that rpm was the only real thing different between the operational characteristics of these two 2500's. Mine would do 23 mpg if I ran 68 mph with rpm's around 2,000. His would have the same rpm and get the same fuel mileage at around 75 mph. That 75 mph, maybe even to around 78 mph, had a much higher wind resistance than my 68 mph. His automatic transmission was historically thought to give worse fuel mileage than a manual. His was way better fuel mileage than mine.

    If I tried to run with him, something I did when we each drove and traveled together, I would run his speeds. When he got 23 mpg, I got 17- maybe 19 mpg.

    Now my memory for the exact details is clouded after say the 5-6 years that have passed since he was alive and I had my Cummins. Still I am certain general my experiences related here are correct. Wind resistance was probably not the factor to account for the difference. RPM was the issue, in my opinion.

    Much of my running involves operation at those higher speeds. Based on my experience the announcement that current Cummins offerings are limited to 3:73 and 4:10 rear ends ratios comes a a distinct disappointment.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Saw My First 2019 1500 Ram - Impressions
    By Captainmal in forum RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-01-2018, 04:10 AM
  2. First Successful Oil Change / Dealer Visit
    By RAM Fan in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Maintenance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 08:12 AM
  3. One month in: Some MPG numbers and a visit to the service department
    By rawskyb in forum RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 07:36 PM
  4. First visit to dealership!!!
    By WINKVLX in forum RAM 1500 Diesel General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 05:20 PM
  5. Unscheduled Service Visit - CEL
    By catdaddy63 in forum RAM 1500 Diesel Mechanical
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 08:46 PM