Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins

This is a discussion on Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins within the Ram 2500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; Took a motorcycle ride and looked at a 2019 2500 Cummins. I was stopped at a 3500 and told the salesman I want to see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Impressions of a Visit to a 2019 Cummins

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6249 times

Took a motorcycle ride and looked at a 2019 2500 Cummins. I was stopped at a 3500 and told the salesman I want to see the engine compartment. He got keys for a 2500 that was there because he said it would be lower to make it easier to view the engine. That was like a prediction based on my age.

Major cut-out in the front-right inner fender well. There sits the oil filter where you should be able to get at it. Know they had a trap door or some kind of flap the past couple of years. No flap - wide open which is good for access but bad for debris thrown into that area.

After opening the hood I was quite pleased with the space around the top of the front fuel filter housing and actually, most of the engine components. Seemed a bit more open than even the Ecodiesel. Guessing they reduced the size of those covers like the Ecodiesel is so burdened with. I removed mine on the Ecodiesel This 6.7 does not even seem as crowded as my old 5.9 was. I give a big plus to that engine compartment layout for service and cleaning.

This revised 68RE transmission has a dipstick. Unlike the ZF transmissions, I pulled the dipstick and checked the transmission fluid easily. Did not look for a filler area. Major plus over the Ecodiesel with the ZF. I read that future editions of the Cummins may go to the ZF 8 speed. Good because it may lower the rpm at highway speeds as today there is no higher (lower numerically) gear ratio than the 3:73's. Read the 6 speed did rpms around 2,000 at 70 mph. That tells me just above that will be the top cruising speed of the vehicle to get optimal fuel mileage. NOT a good thing when local roads have traffic doing 75-80 mph. The future 8 speed may have a lower top gear and improve on that but then again - no dipstick and reasonable way to deal with the fluid level in that transmission.

Noticed the column gear shift has a different shroud than than those before. Know there was some shift linkage issues with previous 68RE's. Guessing that's part of the upgrade.

Rest of the interior was the same although I hear the seat design has changed. Not really worthy of note. What was worthy of note is a basic characteristic of the 2500 and more so with the 3500. The wife and I struggled on the border of not being able to even get into the truck. My old 5.7 did not seem that high of fthe ground. Guess I was younger. It was kind of like climbing into my old Ford tractor. You have to grab hold of something like that pillar handle and yank yourself up, if you can get your foot up high enough to step on the floor. On my old one I tore that handle off the pillar pulling myself in. They are flimsly attached. This one did not tear off on my entrance but longevity is questionable.

The wife could not get in. She stood outside and stood until I got the message. Way too high for her. With some urging she agreed to have me try and lift her into the truck, much to the embarrassment of the salesman. I had to struggle pushing and cradling her under the butt to barely get her high enough where she could climb the rest of the way in. Sure the addition of a rather large running board/ step board will help. Actually help is not saying enough. That would be a necessary addition to hopefully allow us to actually get in. Getting out also took some care and careful dropping.

Liked what I saw mechanically. Surprised at the entrance and exit difficulties we both experienced. Product of age I guess. Sure not remotely comfortable and manageable for most anyone of any age. Something to consider into the near future and beyond.
    Lucky Dog and HYDREX like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1304 times
    Where did you get the info about the only rear end being 3.73?

Maybe they changed it, but I thought 3.42 was their main go to gear now. My dad's '18 with the heavy duty (non 68rfe) runs crazy low rpm at highway speed. To the point that towing our 5000 lb boat it is constantly shifting out of 6th on any hill. Towing at 65 mph in 5th gear it runs about 1750 rpm with tons of power and actually gets better mileage towing the boat in 5th than lugging it in 6th. His has 3.42 gears.

You sure you got it into 6th gear? Or perhaps the transmission gearing is that different.

Member #
    Vehicle
    15 Tradesman QC 4x4 3.92
    Liked
    493 times
    Capt, I used to think the powered running boards were a gimmick. They appear to have stuck around and cornered a segment of the market. They don't hang down so low to get torn off, but drop down farther than regular steps. A wise investment for you if you upgrade to such a truck. Best part is they can be installed by a dealer now - meaning you can use it as a negotiation tool at purchase.

It's not just you, it's the HD trucks. After being used to my 1500, first time I tried to put my foot on the rear bumper of my dad's new 2500, I realized I had to stretch first to swing my leg up that far. I installed a swing-down bed step for him. He never uses gimmicky things like that - yet he uses that all the time!

Unless something changed in this new generation of HD, the 4th gen cummins trucks were all 3.42 gear, UNLESS you got a 3500, DRW, with the Aisin transmission. Only then it opened up the options for 3.42, 3.73, or 4.10. That's what I found doing research on the HD for my parents in 2016.

This new Cummins motor is quiet. Just saw/heard one in person the other day (dealer sponsored truck at rodeo event). Literally could not hear any diesel noise from engine. Only when truck was put into gear and started accelerating away did I hear some clatter.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJL_57; 05-03-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    2015 RAM 1500 3.0L EcoDiesel/8HP70 4x4. QC 6'4' 140" WB. Factory options: Protection Group, Exterior Appearance Group, Trailer Tow Mirror and Brake Control Group, Popular Equipment Group, 3.92, Anti-Spin, UConnect 5.0, ParkView
    List of mods - DJL_57'S RAM

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    He’s right. According to Rams website only 3.73 and 4.10 available for the 2500. Gas and diesel. Maybe the updated 68RFE gearing is different. If not I agree waiting for the 8 speed might be a good idea for a cummins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3460 times
    Captain we may be able to order a 2020 ED before summers end for fall delivery with the 2nd gen ED. Wasn’t the 4th gen tradesmans also available with the air suspension? If that holds true to form with the 5th gen you may consider it. Being in Florida you wouldn’t have the cold issues our Canadian friends have. Also not only is it nice to drop the truck for easy entree & exit but also for loading the bed. Even drops the truck an inch for improved aerodynamics IE fuel economy for interstate cruising.

BTW the 3.92 trucks are still comfortable cruising 85 mph. Certainly not as efficient as a 3.55 truck at that speed but the motor is still in the top end of its comfortable efficient range. Out west where the speed limits are 80 I have done long stretches of 82-85 and often still get 22-23 mpg while doing it. I say this because I think you would like the 3.92 better towing a toy hauler and also that at times unloaded you like to roll.
    Captainmal likes this.
    Airstream, TT, Boat, transporter. Factory receiver 1,290/12k (w WDH) factory brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera. No sway WDH, Andersen Rapid adjust hitch, Turnover ball GN hitch w 5er adapter, Axle to frame air bags, GDE tune w turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, Combined axle rating 7,800, Max RAM 1500 CVWR 15,950, truck with me & 3 hitchs axle weights steer 3,340 drive 2,560

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Limited
    Liked
    652 times
    Agree with Vern's comments on the air suspension. I live in MN and only when its greater than -10*F do I ever have issues with the air suspension, and even then it just needs to sit in the garage for a couple hours. I lower / raise mine whenever my wife is with me. There are many days where its up / down 6 to 8 times. Sure saves on the knee's. It may also prevent you from pulling out another pillar handle!
    2015 RAM 1500 Crew Cab Ecodiesel Limited, 3.92 gears, air suspension, towing package.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6249 times
    You guys are right. It's only 3:73 and 4:10 for the 2019's. Asked an owner on another forum about the rpm's and it is like my old 5.9 Cummins. That is about 2,000 rpm at close to 70 mph. Too much in my book. I would not want a 2018 with the lower gear ratio because of the older motor and transmission design. Probably not going to go that way but never sure. My toy hauler is smaller and the wife wants a larger one. Good possibility the new Ecodiesel with 3:92's or the new in-line GM 3.0 might work. Just strange that right now neither are available and have not been for near a year.

Now looks like I will be using mine all Summer with a very probable tow out West in the mix.

As for a possible 2500 again - running boards are little more than $100 on Ebay. Not an issue and bolting them on is simple. Never buy the factory ones. They charge over $700 for something worth way, way less. Just not sure I want to subject myself and the wife to that much of a clime each time we get in and out.

Member #
    Vehicle
    17 ECODIESEL
    Liked
    278 times
    Before my Ecodiesel, I drove modified hemis, a Magnum and a 2005 Ram Thunder Road. Both had race cams, headers and Borla exhausts. Seems like I was always driving well over the speed limit, getting tickets, and once lost my license for driving 100 in a 65 zone. Since owning the Ecodiesel, I have "geezered up". I drive in the slow lane at 65 mph , when on the turnpike, listen to the excellent Alpine stereo and get over 30 mpgs. I believe, if you drive 300 miles at 65 vs 70, you only lose 15 minutes or less. There are plenty of over the road trucks running 65 , as many are actually governed. Seems like 65 is the sweet spot for 3:92's with the Ecodiesel. Running boards are your friend. My friend has a lifted 05 Ram with giant General Grabber tires, what a pita to climb into.
    17 CC 4X4 Bighorn Ecodiesel GDE Hot Tune, 08 Arctic Cat 700 Super Duty Turbo Diesel ATV

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    6249 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HYDREX View Post
    Before my Ecodiesel, I drove modified hemis, a Magnum and a 2005 Ram Thunder Road. Both had race cams, headers and Borla exhausts. Seems like I was always driving well over the speed limit, getting tickets, and once lost my license for driving 100 in a 65 zone. Since owning the Ecodiesel, I have "geezered up". I drive in the slow lane at 65 mph , when on the turnpike, listen to the excellent Alpine stereo and get over 30 mpgs. I believe, if you drive 300 miles at 65 vs 70, you only lose 15 minutes or less. There are plenty of over the road trucks running 65 , as many are actually governed. Seems like 65 is the sweet spot for 3:92's with the Ecodiesel. Running boards are your friend. My friend has a lifted 05 Ram with giant General Grabber tires, what a pita to climb into.
    Main is a nice place to visit in the Summer. Smaller, windy, scenic roads abound. couple major interstates areas in the southern part but essentially smaller roads. Speeds are kind of limited by the terrain.

Now contrast that with Florida and other places like Texas and many or most Western states. The interstate roads ha ve 70 - 75 mph speed limits. Long flat stretches abound with normal traffic running 5-10 mph OVER the posted speed limits. I have been on I 75 just south of the metropolis of Tampa running 85 and getting passed on a regular basis with normal traffic. It's a crazy situation. Traveling in that traffic malize at 65 mph is unsettling to me. Big trucks and busses with farm workers or children go faster than that and will pack up behind you in the far right lane. The constant traffic encounters as you are passed is just not safe. Best to find a niche in the traffic and maintain traffic speeds so the encounters are minimized.

My old Cummins was not fuel efficient above 2,000 rpm. I had to often do 2,400 rpm to find that comfortable traffic niche. My Ecodiesel does find it around 1,900 rpm, getting me a solid 28 mpg seemingly for hours. Actually, heading north today to a flat track motorcycle race on that same interstate. It will be a run much above 70 mph to be comfortable. No way do I want to deal with fuel mileage in the teens because of the higher speeds that fit traffic patterns here. To me it's laughable to see so many lifted trucks with oversize tires making major tire noise running 80 mph in traffic while getting maybe low teens in fuel mileage. Of course, they are run by "the man" with the gold chains.

Going to really figure out what an Ecodiesel does get with 3:92's and the same for a 2019 Cummins and maybe the GM 3.0L. Right now - heading to the motorcycle races with my 3:55's pushing the Ecodiesel.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Ram 3500
    Liked
    2324 times
    Capt.... Did you happen to notice the price of the 2019’s ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links