Why shouldn't I buy a 2500 diesel? - Page 2

Why shouldn't I buy a 2500 diesel?

This is a discussion on Why shouldn't I buy a 2500 diesel? within the Ram 2500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; As others have stated. Higher purchase price, increased fuel usage, more expensive fuel filters (Canada is a ripoff), rough ride, has no turning radius to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Why shouldn't I buy a 2500 diesel?

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    92 times
    As others have stated. Higher purchase price, increased fuel usage, more expensive fuel filters (Canada is a ripoff), rough ride, has no turning radius to speak of, higher ingress height, As69rc shifts like a big rig but.......... probably the easiest diesel truck to work on, reliable emissions system (have to disagree with Cap on this one), the megacab is amazing, insurance up here is actually cheaper than my 2011 1500 was and if you two heavy, there is no comparison. None. The ISB6.7 is an absolute beast. Not a racecar but with a trailer it is unfrickenstoppable.

I don't like daily driving mine for short trips in town. It is a beaut on the open highway. With the horse trailer weighing in at 7k I just lock it in 5th and set the cruise at 110km/h and it never shifts in the rolling hills.

Edit: what you also get is probably the industries best exhaust brake. You really need to test it out. To get the most, put it in tow/haul and let her rip. You wont be disappointed.
    Last edited by BrianF; 08-06-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    277 times
    Thanks for all the replies.

As it turns out my 2500 shopping spree has come to an end for now.

My garage door is 79" tall and the three 2500's I looked at were all taller than that, measuring between 79" and 82" tall. All were stock, two tradesman's and one Big Horn sport.

I have some thinking to do weather or not I want to buy one and keep it out doors or in my un-heated pole barn. My plan was to keep it in my heated garage.

I really liked everything about the 2500, ride, tow capacity, bed capacity, and especially the reputation of the Cummins.

Looks like my ED is going to have to keep me happy for at least one more hunting season.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6661 times
    Now next year there will be the other 1/2 ton options for you to look at. By then we will have read tests on them, know if they can be tuned and deal with pricing issues and towing capacity with more enlightened information.

I am using my Ecodiesel for another hunting season this year. Seems I tend to scratch and beat my truck on trails, mud, power lines and rough areas while hunting. Then I just may damage it again with my trailer or tractor while hauling and working the area for and during hunting season. No garage and washing clean for weeks while at camp.

Best to use the old one until after the season and then deal with both buying and preparing anything new for the battles to come.
    IMG_2525 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
    EcoD, Lucky Dog, BrianF and 1 others like this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram !500 Laramie Crew
    Liked
    182 times
    Capt, is that your infamous biting trailer?

I didn't consider the 2500 this time around since I still use it as a daily driver. I wanted something that I could get into and out of the parking spaces in one shot. Maybe when the wife finally lets me retire, I can reconsider.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    just got a 2019 2500 6.4 with the 8 speed it quieter then mt 2015 ed at highway speeds get close to 18 mpg on the highway around 14 mpg with 6000 lb trailer on the back deisle is 60 cent a gallon more then gas where im at go the truck for 45 my eg was 50 in 2015.
    so way your options 9100$ for the cummins with al the emission junk is not a good pay back to expensive to maintain and fuel less patload and only a few thousand lb more towing capacity go with gas the 8 speed makes a difference just like it dose behind the little 3 l eco.
    just drive one you will be surprised

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6661 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ncskibum View Post
    Capt, is that your infamous biting trailer?

IMG_1855 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

No ... This is the "biting trailer". Did pictures of the latest "bite'. Not done painting so not going there just yet.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    214 times
    Also dont forget the solid front axle 2500s are alot heavier and go thru tires and suspension... axle u joints alot quicker. They are built to haul and thats how they should be used to justify a 3500 tag. Hell you could drive a peterbilt 379 for a daily driver and still not feel manly enough lol.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 Longhorn 3.0 & GDE
    Liked
    575 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

As it turns out my 2500 shopping spree has come to an end for now.

My garage door is 79" tall and the three 2500's I looked at were all taller than that, measuring between 79" and 82" tall. All were stock, two tradesman's and one Big Horn sport.

I have some thinking to do weather or not I want to buy one and keep it out doors or in my un-heated pole barn. My plan was to keep it in my heated garage.

I really liked everything about the 2500, ride, tow capacity, bed capacity, and especially the reputation of the Cummins.

Looks like my ED is going to have to keep me happy for at least one more hunting season.
    Until then look for a Florida or Texas F250 with the 7.3 (2000-2003). For $4,500 you could upgrade injectors, turbo, tans shift kit, and tune. Another $2k replace the interior and modern Bluetooth/music system.

800tq is more than anyone would need and have an incredibly dependable mule, millions of parts, and cheap to fix. Cold weather is irrelevant for these engines.
    2002 Excursion Limited 7.3 w/ 285k and counting
    2016 Longhorn ED with GDE 194k miles / 4,694 hrs and counting

Towing #s: https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...tml#post872001

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    441 times
    Quote Originally Posted by r3gill View Post
    Also dont forget the solid front axle 2500s are alot heavier and go thru tires and suspension... axle u joints alot quicker. They are built to haul and thats how they should be used to justify a 3500 tag. Hell you could drive a peterbilt 379 for a daily driver and still not feel manly enough lol.
    I almost went this route but sold my 3/4 Ton. If I had know early on, this would have been one of the upgrades. A HD CV joint replacement for those pesky U joints on the front axle. https://www.google.com/search?q=ram+...BofKe7raRSZzM:
    97hmcs likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Ecodiesel St quad cab 2wd.
    Liked
    214 times
    ^ wow.. Never knew these HD axles were available. Pricey but well worh it. I sold my 2003 3500 few years ago.. Went threw 4 sets of axle u joints in 400k. Tried every brand possible but its a shit design to begin with...
    Cummins isb 6.7 is a heavy engine.. Ram finally realized this and made the gen 4s little beefier on suspension front.. But I still think the 1500s will be less headache on suspension side of things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links