Why shouldn't I buy a 2500 diesel?

This is a discussion on Why shouldn't I buy a 2500 diesel? within the Ram 2500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; I'm getting closer to trading in the ED on a Cummins. As always I'm thinking and analyzing way too much. So tell me some good ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Why shouldn't I buy a 2500 diesel?

Member #
    Liked
    277 times

I'm getting closer to trading in the ED on a Cummins.

As always I'm thinking and analyzing way too much.

So tell me some good reasons why I shouldn't.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2374 times
    A 1500 rides,handles and manuvers better especially if this is daily driver. Normal wear maintenance items like brakes, tires, etc are more money for HD truck.
    Lucky Dog likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 ED Laramie, 355 Diff ,ARE Cap, pull me over first Red
    Liked
    547 times
    The only reasons I went with a 1/2 ton was Ride quality and price. Although I didn't drive the 2500 so I can't say if the ride quality is much stiffer.
    At the time when I bought mine I was already experiencing major sticker shock, so the extra $ 5-7k for a 3/4 ton was out for me. My last NEW truck was only $25K.

Next time around I would definitely consider the Cummins.
    Lucky Dog likes this.
    Do not rule out working with your hands, but it does not preclude using your head.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED CCSB Bighorn 4x4
    Liked
    77 times
    No reason not to other than firmer ride and a bit higher operating costs. As a plus, you have a lot more suspension to work with.
    Lucky Dog likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6658 times
    How much do you tow?

How much do you load into the bed?

Now those two questions are paramount for the necessity or usefulness of any opinions to your question. There are other lesser points of interest. If normal driving is a lot, the Cummins normally gives less fuel mileage. If money is an issue, that is important along with the probably increased cost of buying the 2500. Factor in the increase cost of registration, insurance, some parts (larger, beefier and more expensive), higher profile for garage and operation, parking, overall weight gain etc. Some just like the feeling of "manlyhood" they get from a bigger, higher more prominent vehicle. That's a positive to some who literally have no use for the bigger truck. You can more easily fit in with the horsey crowd and stand out in the bar parking lot. Get some stickers and vertical exhaust pipes when you are doing that.

I had both a Duramax and a Cummins. My Duramax was more Duro-junk. The Cummins was wonderful for near 200,000 miles then it started to cause me expensive trouble the next 40K plus. The modern Cummins has the same emissions crap as the Ecodiesel. Do a full delete and it really is designed to go 300K or more. Now if you keep it that long - miles and years - get the Cummins and do a full delete.

Sure the ride is a bit rougher than a little 1500. Sure you need some kind of steps, running boards or a ladder to get in and out. It is better to look down at stopped traffic next to you and see what you can see. Might be just what you want?
    turkeybird56 likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi , 4 X 4,
    Liked
    253 times
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wat the Captain said. $$$$$$ factor, but the key thing else: Do U tow enough and enough weight to justify. But get and do WHAT works for U.....
    2019 Bighorn 4 X 4, 3;21, Flame Red, Mopar full cover tonneau, painted veh color, pending bed mat, TRADED in ED, no longer suited for my needs...
    2006 Honda Gold Wing GL1800, with installed 2015 Cobra Razor Trike Kit (Color=Yukon Gold)
    (2) Hossies,.. ... (4) Doggies... (Pics in album)
    Let us be sure that those who come after will say of us in our time, that in our time we did everything that could be done. We finished the race; we kept them free; we kept the faith. RONALD REAGAN

Member #
    Vehicle
    Big Horn QC 4X4 6.4 bed 3.92 LSD
    Liked
    3676 times
    I don’t often tow much over 8k and fuel economy is paramount for me so the ED works well. I also like the quietness & ride quality as its my daily driver including taking her out to eat or as in today dressing up a bit going to a viewing to pay respects. If it was solely a work truck for heavier hauling & bigger tows I’d have an HD.
    TwoBobs and Merlin30 like this.
    Airstream TT & boat transporter. Factory trailer brake controller tow mirrors & hitch camera, B&M GN turnover ball, Andersen 5er adapter, WDH with built in sway control & steel adjustable hitch, Axle to frame air bags, GDE engine & transmission tunes plus turbo brake, SLT Grill, 275/55/20 XL load tires, Max ED tow rating 9,200, combined axle rating 7,800, Max 4th gen 1500 CVWR 15,950, Max receiver tongue weight 1265 w WDH, CAT scales 3,300 steer 2,560 drive with me hitches & tools

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 BlueStreak EcoDiesel OD CC
    Liked
    177 times
    From what I understand the 2020 ED may have a more comparable towing capacity.
    2016 Ecodiesel 4x4 Outdoorsman
    2012 Pentastar Blacktop Charger
    1972 400-4 Plymouth Road Runner

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel BigHorn
    Liked
    419 times
    Shouldn’t buy a 2500 cause you don’t need one. If you did, you would’ve bought one in the first place.

BUT, if it gives you piece of mind and you want it, by all means go for it. Can’t take that moldy money with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    howie12 likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2372 times
    Because it is more truck than you need and it has its share of troubles too and they are more expensive to fix. Unless you tow virtully all the time you can go 5 or 10 mph slower with an ecodiesel in certain situations and have a much more economical and nicer truck to use when you are not towing. If you are selling your house and moving to a mobile life with a big trailer then get the 2500.

And, because you are asking you really don't wan't one/
    Captainmal likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links