2500 with the 6.4 hemi Reviews

This is a discussion on 2500 with the 6.4 hemi Reviews within the Ram 2500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; There seems to be much better deals on the 2500s with the 6.4 HEMI. Are there any real work reviews of this engine truck combo? ...

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

There seems to be much better deals on the 2500s with the 6.4 HEMI.
    Are there any real work reviews of this engine truck combo? Fuel Mileage? Needs a tune?
    I don't two often but when I do it can reach 11k. My next vehicle will be a 2500 mostly because I want a 2500.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6767 times
    Doubt any gasser needs any kind of tune. Actually most of the diesel tunes deal with controlling the emissions debacle equipment. Sure some deal with power but the diesel emissions issue is the big negative. For a gasser you probably do not want much more in power as they all take high rpm for horsepower and then they run. Of course that's at the expense of the fuel mileage.

My brother-in-law has a 6.4 in his Power Wagon. I have both ridden in it and drove it. It is a creature for power but a thirsty camel for fuel mileage. Cruising might do 16 mpg on a good day. figure normally it will be 14 mpg. Towing means you are single digit fuel mileage for anything with any weight and/or resistance.

Check the videos on TFLTruck - Fastlane ... They may have done some testing on one of them.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1545 times
    What do you tow that is 11k and where/how do you tow it?

If you moved a utility trailer a few miles once in a while i'd be inclined to stick with a half ton set up to handle the weight. If you tow an 11k TT cross country once a year i'd be more inclined to reach for a 2500.

The ecodiesel will be rated to tow your 11k in the next model 2020 when properly equipped.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Ram ED CCSB Bighorn 4x4
    Liked
    79 times
    2500 with 6.4L hemi will get about 18 MPG highway unloaded, 12 MPG or a bit better around town. For towing 11k, I'd recommend the 4.10 rear axle ratio. The tuck will handle the weight, but if you are towing over mountains at altitude, the Cummins is going to outperform the gas option easily. Main reason for a tune would be to improve shift points on the transmission. The 2019s have the eight speed which should help some with 11k lbs, but the the six speed works except it is geared high for a gasser, hence the recommendation for 4.10s. The 6.4 does a good job of developing power at lower rpms (for a NA gas engine) and handles cooling well (has egr cooling). Have been pretty reliable from what I have seen and driven. Loaded with 11k trailer, you are probably looking at 8 mpg as an estimate / complete guess, depending on drag and speed.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram Laramie
    Liked
    39 times
    About 20 years ago I worked for a company called Gear Vendors which splits gears. Not sure if it's used in new trucks with all the computer systems. We did a lot of RV's.

Sponsored Links