Some usual cold weather woes...

This is a discussion on Some usual cold weather woes... within the Ram 3500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; Just an update for the HD owners. Like most of North America, it has been frigidly cold. My wife has been daily driving our 3500 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BrianF

Thread: Some usual cold weather woes...

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    92 times

Just an update for the HD owners. Like most of North America, it has been frigidly cold. My wife has been daily driving our 3500 and recently ran into some issues. It has been regularly -30C and we plug in about 2 hours prior to start and allow anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes of warm up before slowly driving off. The poor truck has been running like it has solid engine mounts. Heavy shake on start up and shutdown as well as heavy vibrations while running. 2 weeks ago it was extremely bad and threw a P0301, which is cylinder 1 misfire detected. It cleared and has not returned. In efforts to narrow down the issue, I pulled fuel, which was not cloudy and looked just fine. No snow/ice buildup either. Got it into a warm garage for a few hours and it was back to its self and been fine for days. Poor girl just needed a warm up. Thankfully our weather is slowly warming and we wont be seeing much more -30.

Now another issue I have to contend with: Body mounts. There had been a TSB out for the previous years where the body mounts were either defective or not torqued to spec. I was getting a clunk from the chassis that was very irregular. I suspected tie rod ends and swaybar end links as the usual but everything was solid as it was new. The clunk presented itself when you really twisted the chassis, wheels turned and accelerating around a corner or turning sharp up or down a hill and also quickly taking off from a stop without wheelspin. The clunk is felt directly under the driver and passenger. So I found some updated body mounts that I might swap out this spring.

Lots of fun for a truck that only has 65,000km.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    92 times
    There is an updated B pillar body mount according to the dealer parts dept. 68090735AB. Dealer asks 55$ before tax and Rockauto wants 35$. Once the weather warms, I will be trying the new mounts.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 EcoD Outdoorsman CC 6.5' 4X4 3.92
    Liked
    2379 times
    You might want to give the block heater a couple more hours to warm the engine. That's a lot of cast iron to get warm. Get a WiFi Smart Switch so you can either program it when to come on or just remotely turn it on/off. The CTD block heater draw 700 watts(about 6 amps), most smart switches can handle 1500 watts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    92 times
    We try to plug in well in advance but sht happens. I have a couple mechanical timers I need to dig out. I also spent about twenty minutes breaking ice from the chassis. Down pipe, dpf and transmission mounts were nearly encapsulated by ice. Took out a few pounds. Never had a vehicle ice up this bad that was never buried in snow in all my time.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    92 times
    Just an update. I have not had the chassis clunk reappear now that it is sub winter, almost spring here. I have bombed over a few uneven bumps to torque the chassis but all is well. The misfire has not returned either. Appears to be the fun of operating vehicles in such a cold and hostile wasteland.

My wife is still daily driving it but we take it out for a burn now and then to really stretch its legs. Still love that torque!
    Patroller8D likes this.

Sponsored Links