-2F Cold Start Video

-2F Cold Start Video

This is a discussion on -2F Cold Start Video within the Ram 3500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/new...-freeze-video/ Cut and Paste The newly redesigned Ram has two versions of the new Cummins straight-six diesel: the standard version with 370 hp and 850 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EcoD

Thread: -2F Cold Start Video

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Laramie Limited 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel
    Liked
    295 times

-2F Cold Start Video

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/03/new...-freeze-video/

Cut and Paste

The newly redesigned Ram has two versions of the new Cummins straight-six diesel: the standard version with 370 hp and 850 lb-ft of torque in the 2500 & 3500 HD trucks, and this high output (H.O.) version in the 3500 HD with 400 horsepower and 1,000 lb-ft of torque. While the standard diesel is mated to an updated Ram’s 68RFE 6-speed automatic transmission, the H.O. is mated to an updated 6-speed Aisin transmission.

The truck you see here is a 2019 dually 4×4 in Limited trim and with nearly every option. The final retails price on this particular truck is over $87,000.

The truck has been sitting in my driveway an entire weekend with temperatures ranging from -3F at night to 10F during the day. It was time to fire it up and go to the office on Monday morning after a -2F night, so I had to do a “cold start”. This truck did not come with an engine block heater, so it was not “plugged in” to keep it warm.
    HYDREX likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2016 EcoD Quadcab 4x4
    Liked
    423 times
    And why do you think it wouldn't start. My previous 2004 5.9 would start at -20F without being plugged in.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel quad cab 4 x 4
    Liked
    6377 times
    Have watched many of your video tests. Most often informative and objective. Good.

Now this has me thinking. It is not the newest motor as that has not been released yet. Still thinking that engine might have a block heater standard, like the little Ecodiesel. then all you do is get a cord and pdsalug it it’s.

If not, that started like it was not needed. I call that a fast start under cold conditions. No major clatter and smoke. Good for Cummins and FCA.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2299 times
    Seems to me it was a lot slower start than an Ecodiesel. THe preheat time was considerably longer and the cranking sounded quite slow. I do agree with others that it darn well should have started. My brother has two old early 90s vintage 5.9 Dodges that he uses for snow plowing one has about 325,000 and the other just under 300,000 miles. They start reliably down to minus 20 degrees not plugged in with a single battery. The bodies are rags but he claims nothing is better for snowplowing with the characteristics of the engine and the old torqueflyte transmission with a loose converter.

Sponsored Links