Another maintenance day

Another maintenance day

This is a discussion on Another maintenance day within the Ram 3500 General Discussion forums, part of the Ram 2500 & 3500 category; Lots of fun was had with Big Blue and the 5 horse today. Got its brakes adjusted and bearings inspected and packed. Then onto the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Another maintenance day

Member #
    Vehicle
    2017 Ram 3500 Megacab. True Blue, SRW, AS69RC
    Liked
    99 times

Another maintenance day

Lots of fun was had with Big Blue and the 5 horse today. Got its brakes adjusted and bearings inspected and packed. Then onto the truck.

Oil and fuel filters..... lots of fun in the scorching heat. Far to much for this pasty bastard. 73,103km on the truck and 24,585km on the oil. Only 7,343km worth of towing this time but hauled some decent weight. At least 115,000 pounds of hay in 7 trips.

Out was petrocan duron shp10w30 and the same oil went In. Baldwin bt7349 oil filter was used, which is just a red painted version of the hastings lf608 that was removed.

Lots of cold weather daily driving this index. We had that nasty winter that refused to end. Put 100 idle hours onto this index, which is way up from the average.

Cardan was greased and did a quick drain/fill of the power steering reservoir. Forgot to do the transfer case, so that's tomorrow's job.

I took another used oil sample, which just needs to be mailed out. Although the break in metals should still be higher, I hope to start seeing the downward trend. I full well expect fuel to be up though. Will keep you posted.

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2413 times
    Hmmmm! I thought our trucks had an electrical power steering unit. Perhaps I am wrong. It is too late tonight to go out and double check but I don't recall a traditional power steering pump on my truck and wasn't aware of a maintenance requirement for an electric power steering unit. But I could be mistaken.

Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    99 times
    The HD diesels run some sort of hydraboost. Belt driven pump that runs power steering and brake assist. The Ram still asks for ATF+4 in the reservoir.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Ram1500Diesel.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Vehicle
    2014 Longhorn CC4x4 Ecodiesel
    Liked
    2413 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianF View Post
    The HD diesels run some sort of hydraboost. Belt driven pump that runs power steering and brake assist. The Ram still asks for ATF+4 in the reservoir.
    Thanks. I knew that but missed that it was a HD truck not an ECOD. Apologies to the OP.
    BrianF likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6832 times
    Curious about the issue of the bearings and the re-pack.

First I assume you are referring to the front wheel bearings as I can't think of any others that might be serviceable. If so, can those on the 3500's be greased through an ABS port without bearing removal? That is what can be done on the little 1500's but not familiar with the layout on the big trucks.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    99 times
    Sorry, I re-read my post and I was a bit vague. The trailer brakes and bearings were dealt with. Absolutely a simple design, so easy to work on.

But.... You can add grease to the HD unit bearings through the ABS port. I have read some posts on a forum or two on that. In fact, I will be doing this next year when I rip the brakes down to grease the slide pins. I will be hitting the 100,000km mark some time, which is a great time to get preventative maintenance done. From what I gather, other than size, bolt count, they are the same damn thing as the 1500 bearings.

Member #
    Vehicle
    '19 Ram Cummins
    Liked
    6832 times
    Good to read that. Granted they are way more beefy to handle the increased load capacity. Just curious if that was possible by design.

Appreciate the response and other readers may also profit from that knowledge.
    BrianF likes this.
    If you wrestle with a pig you'll both get dirty and the pig loves it. .

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    99 times
    Got the used oil analysis back. Nice to see the downward movement in the wear metals. Drop in all, including the "mystery" potassium, which is believed to be from the intercooler. What I did not expect is the 2.5x increase in silicon. I changed the air filter mid index and had it removed numerous times to knock off any debris and inspect it. I suspect that breaking the seal and subsequent inspection caused an intrusion. I do not plan on removal or swapping it out this index. Will monitor.

What I expected and saw, the oil was unaffected. 0.5cSt drop in 100c viscosity, really no shear, no oxidation, little additive depletion. The oil looks good to run much longer. Less than 1% soot and non reportable amount of fuel.

Test 2 and Test 1 are shown together.

Another maintenance day-test-2.jpg
    Haul N Grass likes this.

Member #
    Vehicle
    Liked
    99 times
    going through my phone and found a picture of the filters/oil I am using.

Another maintenance day-20190603_124415_resized_3.jpg

MAS
    Member #
    Vehicle
    2015 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 3.55's
    Liked
    1564 times
    Brian,

What do you pay for the set of filters? Looking for a more cost effective alternative to mopar, are the baldwin/fleetgaurds any less expensive?

Till haven't done an oil change on the old mans cummins because he has another 2 free ones, but did the first fuel filter service a while back, not to bad but since there is two of them not as quick as the ecodiesel. The rear water separator filter is just like the filter on our old duramaxes.

When I ordered the parts for his first fuel filter change I bought a set of mopar filters off amazon both fuel filters and an oil filter for $107, not sure if that's good or bad lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links