RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What in the world is that? An anti-missing chip? Anti Green Diesel chip? See the second column of the sticker below:

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 262,000 KM.
2,098 Posts
It looks to me that its their way of recouping the additional cost of sourcing a new supplier of chips at a higher cost. The premium is added to the cost of the Laramie Level A Group Package price.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
531 Posts
It looks to me that its their way of recouping the additional cost of sourcing a new supplier of chips at a higher cost. The premium is added to the cost of the Laramie Level A Group Package price.
I don't see any added price for it.

Font Circle Handwriting Writing Number

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,501 Posts
No, it's listed as a seperate line item. It might be that they are thinking of adding a surcharge based on chip availability. Much as they have charged for a gallon or two of fuel on and off over the years.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,318 Posts
No, it's listed as a seperate line item. It might be that they are thinking of adding a surcharge based on chip availability. Much as they have charged for a gallon or two of fuel on and off over the years.
Look at the indents. Like said above, it appears to me to be part of the $1795 for Laramie Level A Equipment Group.

Nevermind, lol Im the one not seeing the indent correctly, it appears it is listed as a separate stand alone item with no cost.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that is my concern. Are they utilizing inferior chips and know it…and this is their way of tracking and communicating to the Buyer that FCA will replace the chips once the get the correct ones back in stock? Or are they using one chip to perform two, three or four functions with fewer chips knowing this is a temporary fix and will add the other chips when they arrive? Could this be a potential failure point for the Buyer until the chips arrive?

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
Well, that is my concern. Are they utilizing inferior chips and know it…and this is their way of tracking and communicating to the Buyer that FCA will replace the chips once the get the correct ones back in stock? Or are they using one chip to perform two, three or four functions with fewer chips knowing this is a temporary fix and will add the other chips when they arrive? Could this be a potential failure point for the Buyer until the chips arrive?
I think that's a whole lot of worry over nothing.

I suggest using white-out and pretend the line doesn't exist. Then relax.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hi: NorthStar... Another "Recall" in the making!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that's a whole lot of worry over nothing.

I suggest using white-out and pretend the line doesn't exist. Then relax.
I asked a simple question on behalf of the poor, unsuspecting soul who is looking to purchase a 2022 Ecodiesel. I have a 2021 with zero intention of trading it thus I have no need to relax.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Agreed, if I had to guess they're just adding some additional logistics tracking on the trucks they can complete on the assembly line due to shortages. Probably gets added to the build sheet for oversight and apparently the windows sticker as well.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understood…I just found it odd they would have it under “Optional Equipment”.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Supplier tracking mean they are getting chips from a new supplier. They will watch your vehicle for any and all repairs to make sure they are not related to that chip. More than likely these chips are attached to one or more of the options on the vehicle.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
935 Posts
Everytime the economy hits a rough patch, mega corporations try to cut corners to save a few bucks. I won't be surprised if they are using cheaper chips whatever it is to save a few bucks here and there.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
734 Posts
Everytime the economy hits a rough patch, mega corporations try to cut corners to save a few bucks. I won't be surprised if they are using cheaper chips whatever it is to save a few bucks here and there.
It's not likely cheaper in this case. they are scrambling to get chips to make vehicles and the new supplier is probably charging a premium for those chips. They are likely also not lower quality chips; they will still be made to FCA/Stelantis' specs, so it's not any better or worse than what the original supplier provided. However, Quality Control likely requires that they monitor where these chips go on the off chance that they have an issue with them.

I don't think it's anything sinister, they're not trying to pawn off some "garbage" on unsuspecting customers. They are trying to provide a quality product, and it just so happens that it's visible to the customer in this instance.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts