RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
We've been looking at new trucks recently, and one things for sure, I think Stella Artois/ram is far more severely affected by chip supply than Ford is.
Example, it's almost impossible to get features like Adaptive cruise on a Ram, but it seems that at least 2/3rds of all f150 from xlt and higher are equipped with it .

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The chips ram is using are older 'legacy' types these are the most cost efficient roughly costing like a .25 in normal times. These chips are rock solid think of them more like a transistor simple basic reliable and old tech, but bean counters love cheap, and warranty bean counters love reliable which equals financial bliss.

Everyone got caught with their pants down with the chip shortage for the same damn reason being hooked on cheap chips,most chip manufacturers bailed years ago because there was too little profit along with the risk falling behind on emerging tech.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
737 Posts
it's almost impossible to get features like Adaptive cruise on a Ram, but it seems that at least 2/3rds of all f150 from xlt and higher are equipped with it
That sounds to me like a great reason to buy a Ram without the electronic nannies!

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,703 Posts
That sounds to me like a great reason to buy a Ram without the electronic nannies!
If you drive in bumper to bumper traffic, Adaptive cruise can be priceless, even in lighter traffic it has it's merits.
Problem with buying anything nowadays is you'll pay more for a less featured vehicle.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I spent the better part of 10 years commuting down the interstate 130 miles round trip into Chicago for work. bumper to bumper traffic was a daily occurrence and I never once thought "i'd like to have adaptive cruise to control my vehicle for me". I changed jobs 2 years ago and have a much shorter off-interstate commute now which I really enjoy.

I believe all that system does is breed distracted driving and give drivers a scapegoat for not paying attention. "I don't need to watch traffic around me, my car will stop for me." "It's not my fault that I rear ended that guy, the car was supposed to stop for me."

That system should be outlawed but the terrible truth is it will likely be deemed a "safety device" and be required by law soon.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
303 Posts
I use adaptive cruise control on my 35 mile commute everyday. It in NO WAY breeds inattention. If more people used it the highways would definitely be safer as it eliminates all the weaving, unnecessary lane changes, aggressive driving by people who can't leave on time, etc. I wish my RAM had it!

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
531 Posts
..... I never once thought "i'd like to have adaptive cruise to control my vehicle for me". .....

I believe all that system does is breed distracted driving and give drivers a scapegoat for not paying attention. "I don't need to watch traffic around me, my car will stop for me." "It's not my fault that I rear ended that guy, the car was supposed to stop for me."

That system should be outlawed but the terrible truth is it will likely be deemed a "safety device" and be required by law soon.
You can use adaptive cruise control just like you do the old kind. If you come up behind slower traffic, you can switch it off. The only difference is that you don't have to switch it off. It doesn't breed distracted driving, but it prevents damage from one type of distracted driving. There is absolutely no reason to ban it.

The real safety system, which may become required, is automatic braking if you are about to hit something. Again, if you brake when needed, the system will never be activated, so it won't bother you. I have it in my Accord, and it has only activated once when there was a sudden stoppage on a freeway. I hit the brakes at just the same time and it felt really funny, but knowing how many rear enders there on in that kind of traffic, it's clear that many people will benefit from the system--the drivers that would be hit and the drivers doing the hitting.

PS. I switch off ACC in traffic, just because I think I'm smoother, such as when someone cuts in front of me.

·
Super Moderator
3,993 Posts
My son has both these features on his 2022 Ecodiesel limited. He likes them both. Lol and still hates the start stop on his 2017 Chevy Cruz. Says the only thing its good for is killing starters so he has a work around. He is on an Ohio to Miami Florida ASAP run currently. Tonight he called and said he has run (I-75) with cruise set on 84 mph as much as possible. Went over 900 miles on his first tank with an hour at idle & idle speed stuck coming out of Atlanta. 28 mpg according to the computer. 3.21 & 33 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,504 Posts
I use adaptive cruise control on my 35 mile commute everyday. It in NO WAY breeds inattention. If more people used it the highways would definitely be safer as it eliminates all the weaving, unnecessary lane changes, aggressive driving by people who can't leave on time, etc. I wish my RAM had it!
Only way to eliminate the bobbing and weaving is to take cars away. Some people will always think they can get there faster by darting around everyone else. Those are the people I like to wave at when stopped at the next light.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
My son has both these features on his 2022 Ecodiesel limited. He likes them both. Lol and still hates the start stop on his 2017 Chevy Cruz. Says the only thing its good for is killing starters so he has a work around. He is on an Ohio to Miami Florida ASAP run currently. Tonight he called and said he has run (I-75) with cruise set on 84 mph as much as possible. Went over 900 miles on his first tank with an hour at idle & idle speed stuck coming out of Atlanta. 28 mpg according to the computer. 3.21 & 33 gallon tank.
All of the interstates in and out of Atlanta are like that. We learned years ago which side roads to use to avoid them but we weren't hauling anything. It also gives a different view of life when you roll through MidGa and see Honey Boo Boo's and Col Sander's home towns.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So I was too harsh to say that adaptive cruise should be outlawed. I said in another thread that each person should be allowed to choose for themselves what they want/need, and that applies in this situation as well. However, I stand by my opinion that it only increases the probability of distracted driving and provides the driver a convenient excuse when it doesn't work.

@Henfield and @1shadowsabre may think it's a nice tool to have, and they may remain attentive and diligent while using it, but that doesn't mean that everyone will. Tesla autopilot has already proved this, how many accidents have we seen where people were killed because they set autopilot and then kicked back with a book, or took a nap?

As for the idiots weaving through traffic, I agree that something should be done about them. But I imagine that many of them would forgo this system as well, and only use it if forced to by law. But that brings us right back to people not being allowed to choose for themselves what best suits their wants/needs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So I was too harsh to say that adaptive cruise should be outlawed. I said in another thread that each person should be allowed to choose for themselves what they want/need, and that applies in this situation as well. However, I stand by my opinion that it only increases the probability of distracted driving and provides the driver a convenient excuse when it doesn't work.
I haven't heard of cruise control being blamed for distracted driving. I am surprised Tesla has gotten away with calling its features "Autopilot"! That sounds like an invitation for a class action suit.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

@Henfield and @1shadowsabre may think it's a nice tool to have, and they may remain attentive and diligent while using it, but that doesn't mean that everyone will. Tesla autopilot has already proved this, how many accidents have we seen where people were killed because they set autopilot and then kicked back with a book, or took a nap?

As for the idiots weaving through traffic, I agree that something should be done about them. But I imagine that many of them would forgo this system as well, and only use it if forced to by law. But that brings us right back to people not being allowed to choose for themselves what best suits their wants/needs.
It’s clear you have no experience with Adaptive Cruise. You are also equating adaptive cruise with Tesla AutoPilot,

I’ve used ACC on various vehicles, in multiple different countries. You pontificate on negatives that are totally inaccurate and reveal your ignorance.

You are wrong.

Over and out.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I haven't heard of cruise control being blamed for distracted driving. I am surprised Tesla has gotten away with calling its features "Autopilot"! That sounds like an invitation for a class action suit.
I think it was on the 405 in Toronto where the cops couldn't get the Tesla pulled over due to the driver napping after setting autopilot.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think it was on the 405 in Toronto where the cops couldn't get the Tesla pulled over due to the driver napping after setting autopilot.
I guess that includes ACC, but it's not like what's available on most other cars now. At least, calling it Autopilot has a whole different implication, and that backs up my thought that Tesla could, maybe should, be sued for calling it that. It depends on whether the fine print caveats will protect them. I think it was the Bay Area where one "driver" was caught several times riding in the back seat.

Tesla owner arrested after being caught ‘backseat driving’ l GMA - YouTube

·
Registered
737 Posts
There have been many crashes and fatalities attributed to both adaptive cruise and autopilot. Autopilot specifically has many reports of people sleeping or reading while it's engaged. There was a lot of demand for tesla to change the name but they refused, and as you said, I think the fine print protected them. There are supposedly failsafes in place in the car to make sure that the driver keeps their hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road, but they are obviously easily defeated.

It’s clear you have no experience with Adaptive Cruise. You are also equating adaptive cruise with Tesla AutoPilot,

I’ve used ACC on various vehicles, in multiple different countries. You pontificate on negatives that are totally inaccurate and reveal your ignorance.

You are wrong.

Over and out.

You are correct in assuming that I have never driven or even been in a vehicle with adaptive cruise, but that doesn't mean I'm not familiar with how it works. But my argument has nothing to do with how it works, my argument is solely with regard to how people interact with it. And I understand that adaptive cruise and Autopilot are not exactly the same, but I'm comparing them because both systems take some degree of vehicle control away from the driver.

And I'm sure you know as well as I do that Humans, as a rule, have a very short attention span, and if they no longer need to focus on maintaining a safe distance from the vehicle in front of them (as both adaptive cruise and autopilot manage this), they will quickly become bored and look for something else to do. As the links I provided above show (yes they are specific to autopilot), it clearly happens.

To expand on what I said before, I'm sure you are a more than competent driver, and knowing how the system works and what it's true intended purpose is, you will continue to keep your hands on the wheel and pay attention to the road and traffic around you. But I'm willing to bet you are the exception to the rule.

As for the totally inaccurate negatives on which I pontificate; if I am ignorant and wrong, then IIHS, NHTSA, AAA, and more must also be ignorant and wrong as they all investigated adaptive cruise systems and found similar things to what I am saying:
___

"A more recent 2019 study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety determined that these systems make their drivers more vulnerable to a crash. Drivers assume they’re safer with it on, so they don’t pay close attention while driving. They put a little too much trust in their systems and don’t always fully understand it, outweighing the safety benefits. That study found that ACC and ACC with pilot assist make drivers nearly twice as likely to become distracted drivers, a sobering statistic indeed."

"Setting and forgetting means more time for your mind to wander away from focusing on the road"
___

"The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that drivers using adaptive cruise control (ACC) were more likely to set a target speed that was over the limit because of the perception that the system enhanced their safety.

"The research concluded that drivers using the technology were at a 10% higher risk of a fatal crash compared to manual drivers due to the faster cruising speeds selected."

NOTE: Admittedly I never included issues regarding speeding, but this shows that there's a correlation between ACC and increased crash risk.
___

The attached report from the NHTSA investigated adaptive cruise control as well as the effectiveness of Forward Collision Warning systems to regain the attention of distracted drivers. They studied mild, moderate, and severe braking events and found that ACC helped in mild and moderate braking events but had no effect in severe braking situations.

"As a form of automation that offers relatively little feedback and operates with a high level of authority, ACC may ... undermine driving safety. In one simulator study, approximately one third of drivers were not successful in assuming control after the ACC had failed (Stanton et al., 1997). Distractions associated with cell phones and other in-vehicle
technology may exacerbate this effect by encouraging drivers to rely on vehicle automation and neglect the driving task."

"Another possible risk associated with ACC is that automating parts of the driving task will lead drivers to engage in more distracting tasks and to engage in those tasks more frequently."

I will admit that they also discuss the following:

"Drivers with ACC did not look away from the road any more frequently than drivers without ACC, nor did they engage the secondary task more rapidly. This result is consistent with recent field data that showed drivers did not increase the frequency with which they engaged in secondary tasks when they began using an ACC-equipped vehicle"

This would back up your personal experience that you did not become more easily distracted while using ACC. However they go on to explain that the way the study was conducted, the drivers were instructed to engage in the "secondary task" at certain specific points during the test. And that the braking event only occurred once the driver was engaged in the "secondary task", though not every "secondary task" triggered a braking event. So it's not really an accurate depiction of a driver becoming distracted.
___

Please understand Henfield, I mean no disrespect and I don't want to cause an argument. I stated an opinion and later admitted that part of it was too harsh, I understand and accept your opinion that ACC is a useful tool and even acknowledged that in your case that may be absolutely true. The beautiful thing about opinions is that they can differ without either one being wrong; but since you specifically stated that I am ignorant and wrong I felt compelled to provide specific evidence that I'm not, but I also included evidence which supports your opinion.

I wish you all the best with your ACC equipped vehicles.

Edit: forgot to attach the NHTSA report

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
303 Posts
I have a Tesla but would never have "autopilot" Way to scary for me!
At least in the Texas case alcohol appears to have played much more significant role that Autopilot.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,703 Posts
I have a Tesla but would never have "autopilot" Way to scary for me!
Even letting the adaptive cruise take the vehicle all the way to a stop behind another vehicle can be unnerving sometimes.

Full vehicle autonomy is probably 10-15 years out, just too many variables on the road namely much more adaptive yet unpredictable humans.

·
Registered
737 Posts
just too many variables on the road namely much more adaptive yet unpredictable humans.
My mentor at my first job had a saying "you can be a great engineer and design the safest equipment ever made, the problem is tomorrow they'll build a better idiot"

Reactions: Henfield
21 - 40 of 48 Posts