RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a CEL on the way to work today. Code was U029E

Dealership called, nearly $500 in parts/labor to replace the 02 sensor and EGT sensor along with a flash for the truck and a $75 diagnostic fee.

I thought it'd be covered under the emissions warranty, but im told no. :(

Any thoughts other than that I should have just deleted the truck?

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
I would double check on having to pay for that as an oxygen sensor is an integral part of the emissions system, and probably even the EGT sensor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Seems fishy they are both bad. That code points to the Nox sensor, but I don't see why the EGT is bad.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems fishy they are both bad. That code points to the Nox sensor, but I don't see why the EGT is bad.
I know... It's the sensor B, so I assume that's on the backside of the SCR? Unless the EGT controls something there? I don't know

Shouldn't the 5year/100k power-train warranty cover that stuff?
No. :( I even called a second dealership to confirm. The 80K emissions covers only the SCR/DPF but not the sensors or anything else. The powertrain also doesn't cover it either.

I would double check on having to pay for that as an oxygen sensor is an integral part of the emissions system, and probably even the EGT sensor.
That's what I said!!! ...but no dice.

·
Super Moderator
3,822 Posts
strange... cause without properly functioning sensors, the emissions systems don't function correctly, part of why the government forces the 8-80 warranty.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
strange... cause without properly functioning sensors, the emissions systems don't function correctly, part of why the government forces the 8-80 warranty.
My thoughts exactly...

The SCR/DPF cant function without the sensors. ......so.... how can the SCR/DPF actually even fail itself? Sounds like fat chance.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yeah, the emissions warranty isn't very good for the small stuff. At least the big money items are covered.

The diesel SCR catalytic converter, Diesel oxidation converter, and the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) are considered catalytic converters covered under the 8
year/80,000 mile warranty, however, the other components in the SCR system (e.g. exhaust sensors, DEF tank, valves, hoses, etc) are covered under the 2 year/24,000 mile warranties mentioned above.
If you were in California, the Nox sensor would be covered.

If my emissions equipment makes it to 80,000 miles, I'll put it in storage until its use is required at a later date.

Good luck with the repairs Troy.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
TSR6, Being in WI just take it to Calibrated Tuner in Union IL and be done with it, they can install the jailbreak and you can tune out those sensors and More.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TSR6, Being in WI just take it to Calibrated Tuner in Union IL and be done with it, they can install the jailbreak and you can tune out those sensors and More.
I don't think I'm going to tune this truck. If anything else goes wrong with it, I'll be in a Hemi.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does the FCA warranty actual cover anything?!?!?!? It seems like some bean counter somewhere was involved in providing the minimal amount of coverage possible but making it appear on the surface that they cover a lot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts