RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was busy delivering food to people, so I forgot to get a picture of it. But I'm over 100,000 and for the first time I am going to 12,000 miles on the oil. The dash is screeeeeeeeeaming at me to change the oil. But the previous analyses looked very good, so I'm'a see how it looks on 12,000.

I also need to save a few $ so's I can change the transmission fluid. And I guess the rear end, too (not a 4X4).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Congrats on hit the 100K mark!

So reset the oil change reminder! It doesn't know if the oil has been changed or not. You are changing the filter at least ever 10K I hope!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Congrats ! I am so far behind you at 17k , I will never catch up.

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
Motor off key on three stabs of the pedal resets the oil meter.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'm approaching 80k. I need it to go at least 110k with no major defects. Then I'll have my Tesla and will be able to park the truck 4 days out of the week. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
Scottysize I read a short clip on the Tesla. EPA rated 208 miles per charge with twin charger upgrade it will only charge about 10 miles for every hour plugged in to regular 110 lol shocked me. We have a local Tesla charging station that does It faster do you know what they generally charge as in cost? It said they have the most miles on a charge of any battery car. Who else makes battery cars? I thought Tesla was the only one or probably they were including hybrids like the Chevy volt? Oh and what is the battery life expectancy?

Brian now that you have the first 100k under your belt see if you can do it another three or four times without major issue. :)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are changing the filter at least ever 10K I hope!
Nope. Not this time at least. I want to see what the report says when EVERYTHING has 12K on it.

Congrats on the milestone. Let us know the oil analysis when you get it.
Thanks. I will definitely be posting it in the appropriate thread.

Motor off key on three stabs of the pedal resets the oil meter.
I know. But I'm an outlaw! Don't try to stop me.

I'm approaching 80k. I need it to go at least 110k with no major defects. Then I'll have my Tesla and will be able to park the truck 4 days out of the week. ;)
So, you're looking to race the Mustangs?

Brian now that you have the first 100k under your belt see if you can do it another three or four times without major issue. :)
I'm on 1/4 the man you are! :D Even though I'm pretty much double your size. :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
Congrats ! I am so far behind you at 17k , I will never catch up.
Funny, I remember back in August of 2015 I only had about 8K on my 2014, and I think I still may have had more miles than you did but not a whole lot more. Well one thing led to another, and I have 44K now, so there's no comparison now. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was busy delivering food to people, so I forgot to get a picture of it. But I'm over 100,000 and for the first time I am going to 12,000 miles on the oil. The dash is screeeeeeeeeaming at me to change the oil. But the previous analyses looked very good, so I'm'a see how it looks on 12,000.

I also need to save a few $ so's I can change the transmission fluid. And I guess the rear end, too (not a 4X4).
Awesome! Now time for the next 100k :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Scottysize I read a short clip on the Tesla. EPA rated 208 miles per charge with twin charger upgrade it will only charge about 10 miles for every hour plugged in to regular 110 lol shocked me. We have a local Tesla charging station that does It faster do you know what they generally charge as in cost? It said they have the most miles on a charge of any battery car. Who else makes battery cars? I thought Tesla was the only one or probably they were including hybrids like the Chevy volt? Oh and what is the battery life expectancy?

You really shouldn't charge an electric car on 110 volts. You really need to get a level 2 charger at least. It'll charge in about 4-6 hours then. Tesla charging stations are level 3 and they'll give you 80 percent in about 30 minutes. I don't know how much because Tesla just started charging this year for the model 3. It was included with the older Tesla's.

BMW makes a fully electric car, but it's only 60 miles. Chevy makes the Bolt which is currently the longest affordable electric car around 235 miles, but it's still over $40k and its a Chevy. Nissan is supposedly working on a car that will go over 200 miles.

We leased an original 2011 Nissan Leaf. It started with 109 miles, but quickly fell to about 81 miles. After the first year it fell to about 70 miles and by the time we gave it back, it had fallen to 60ish miles. I bought her a BMW X5 to drive around for a bit and then she changed jobs and hated the BMW, so I leased her another Leaf in 2015. It started around 85 miles and it's down to about 65 miles after 2 years. We're in the last year of the lease. I won't buy one until it gets more than 300 miles. It seems like whatever the estimate is, you can half that with an electric car. The Tesla Model 3 one I'll get is estimated around 310 miles. Half that is 150 which still gets me to and from work every day.

As far as our electric bill, there was a year in-between Leafs where I never saw any difference in usage or my electric bill. It really doesn't cost anything to charge the cars.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 2016 has 127,000 miles now
Change oil every 10 to 12,000 and use only Kendall euro 5w-30
Original fuel filter So far
Why aren't you using T6? I can see using that stuff instead of Pennzoil (cost), but why instead of T6? Likely the same reason it's original fuel filter I suppose.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You really shouldn't charge an electric car on 110 volts. You really need to get a level 2 charger at least. It'll charge in about 4-6 hours then. Tesla charging stations are level 3 and they'll give you 80 percent in about 30 minutes. I don't know how much because Tesla just started charging this year for the model 3. It was included with the older Tesla's.

BMW makes a fully electric car, but it's only 60 miles. Chevy makes the Bolt which is currently the longest affordable electric car around 235 miles, but it's still over $40k and its a Chevy. Nissan is supposedly working on a car that will go over 200 miles.

We leased an original 2011 Nissan Leaf. It started with 109 miles, but quickly fell to about 81 miles. After the first year it fell to about 70 miles and by the time we gave it back, it had fallen to 60ish miles. I bought her a BMW X5 to drive around for a bit and then she changed jobs and hated the BMW, so I leased her another Leaf in 2015. It started around 85 miles and it's down to about 65 miles after 2 years. We're in the last year of the lease. I won't buy one until it gets more than 300 miles. It seems like whatever the estimate is, you can half that with an electric car. The Tesla Model 3 one I'll get is estimated around 310 miles. Half that is 150 which still gets me to and from work every day.

As far as our electric bill, there was a year in-between Leafs where I never saw any difference in usage or my electric bill. It really doesn't cost anything to charge the cars.
You can't compare a Tesla with a Leaf. Nissan doesn't climate control the batteries, Tesla does. It makes a HUGE difference. Model S & X owners report a loss of about 1% capacity a year.

Back on topic, congrats to the OP for 100k. I'm right behind you, at 92k and change. Figure I'll be at the 100k mark around February.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Why aren't you using T6? I can see using that stuff instead of Pennzoil (cost), but why instead of T6? Likely the same reason it's original fuel filter I suppose.

I am over 230,000 miles combined with Kendall oil and no issues why would I reinvent the wheel

you really think the oil switch was the cure all ?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
In my parts t6 is quite a bit cheaper. Ran euro L in mine until they changed the spec and now I’m at 140k and running t6. Both worked well, t6 is cheaper. No brainer for me.
I spend 100$ for oil and 42 for filter every 7 weeks- do it myself -very simple oil change and that CDN $ = $110 usd

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah I spend the same for T6 and do it myself. It is better heavier oil for a diesel, not a light fuel economy oil like that 5w30. The only reason engines run light oil these days is CAFE regulations, so they get a fraction of a MPG better for the fleet fuel economy numbers. It's your vehicle do what you want, I just don't understand why.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts