RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason I asked is because yesterday I have the transmission serviced by a local transmission shop. They only put in 5 quarts.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The reason I asked is because yesterday I have the transmission serviced by a local transmission shop. They only put in 5 quarts.
Read that thread again. There are about 2 12 MORE quarts that need to go in that silly fill hole after it is full. To do that you need to have the engine running, go through that sequence of shifts get the transmission to abut 100*, open, fill until it runs out and close back up BEFORE that transmission gets to 120*. If it cold or above that top temperature the job cannot be done.

Hope that transmission shop can fix it properly. Show them the sequence on checking and filling.

·
Registered
79 Posts
^^^^^ my shop put in 5.5qts w/ stock pan.
ditto...stock pan approx 5 1/2 quarts..... i put in the original oil type so as not to mix fluid types.. i think ZF Lifegaurd 8??? I did the job myself, replaced pan with stock pan and put fluid in using a $10., 1 gallon garden spray bottle from HD.
Hardest thing was not taking a bath in that stinky oil !! LOL
Lots of info on here about Tranny fluid change, thats where I got mine...
good luck

·
Registered
79 Posts
ditto...stock pan approx 5 1/2 quarts..... i put in the original oil type so as not to mix fluid types.. i think ZF Lifegaurd 8??? I did the job myself, replaced pan with stock pan and put fluid in using a $10., 1 gallon garden spray bottle from HD.
Hardest thing was not taking a bath in that stinky oil !! LOL
Lots of info on here about Tranny fluid change, thats where I got mine...
good luck

P.S. I saved the old oil in an empty 2.5 gal Rotella T6 bucket to compare/measure how much came out.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
the " re-check " oil level part explained here in video , around 12:15 ,

"" double check level of oil after the thermal bypass valve has opened
and now cooling system was filled ,
the transmission oil level will now be too low ,
so recheck , and bring back up to proper level . ""

1 - 12 of 12 Posts