RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm disappointed that they suggested it should last 10,000 miles when apparently nobody even thinks they'll make it to 7,500.

Why false market?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm disappointed that they suggested it should last 10,000 miles when apparently nobody even thinks they'll make it to 7,500.

Why false market?
I read 8-10k. 10k is probably assuming little to no idle time while operating at peak efficiency

·
Registered
730 Posts
10k is probably assuming little to no idle time while operating at peak efficiency
...and that to me is false marketing. You could drive your ecodiesel and get 35mpg, you know with no idle time and operating at peak efficiency. Don't see anyone from RAM or the EPA throwing that number around.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Reference the DEF issue can anyone advise what price they are paying when they get it at a truck stop? Being in a somewhat remote area without truck stops I have not seen it available at a pump yet.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The difference between 10,000 miles and 7,500 drives the cost up by less than 1/10th of a cent per mile. And this is an issue? I guess I have better things to worry about.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have 4,500 miles and still a little over half. I figure I will get 9,000 before I need to refill.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Right now, I'm estimating about 1 gallon per 1,000 miles as well. It's really not a big deal. Even if it DID last 10K miles, I wouldn't wait for the oil change to add more.

·
Registered
144 Posts
1000 miles per gallon is fine by me, just the cost of doing business with the best 1/2 ton truck on the market!

Reactions: CB919

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Why false market?
It's not false. DEF is used as a % of fuel burnt. 10,000 mi on the DEF tank assumes the 28 mpg highway. Most of us are getting 23~24 mpg on average, so we are looking at 7500~8500 mi on the DEF tank.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's not false. DEF is used as a % of fuel burnt. 10,000 mi on the DEF tank assumes the 28 mpg highway. Most of us are getting 23~24 mpg on average, so we are looking at 7500~8500 mi on the DEF tank.
Does the lower mpg result in an earlier oil change too? What I'm asking is will the higher use of DEF coincide with an earlier than 10,000 mile oil change and both be serviced at the same time? Or is the higher DEF burn independent?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Agreed, some "hyper milers" will get more than 10000!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reference the DEF issue can anyone advise what price they are paying when they get it at a truck stop? Being in a somewhat remote area without truck stops I have not seen it available at a pump yet.
I bought DEF for $2.79 per gallon at a Flying J. Be careful though as when you pull up to the big truck pump and use a CC to pay, they put a $500 hold on the CC for a $15 charge. That scared my bank enough to call me and verify if this was fraud or not!

·
Registered
738 Posts
IF it makes anyone feel better, I passed a tractor last night on the highway. His Def take was HUGE. When you need a filler nozzle for DEF that's bigger than our Diesel nozzle, I feel better. :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This made me laugh This evening.... I pulled into the gas station and of course all of the pumps are open but the one diesel pump... Seemed like the best one to fuel up a Subaru I suppose... So finally the person is done and leaves so I pull up and top off the tank. Afterwards I pulled forward out of the way to dump 2.5 gallons of DEF in and I kid you not a Prius driving woman sneaks up on me and asks what I was doing... So I explained that it was diesel exhaust fluid and how it eliminates NOx through chemical reaction to make it clean.... Her response "oh! Does it get you better 'gas' mileage?"

So I answered "yup, you should go get yourself some for your Prius". But then stopped her as she pranced away with her new bright idea and told her I was only joking.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Reactions: Pip

·
Registered
346 Posts
Does the lower mpg result in an earlier oil change too? What I'm asking is will the higher use of DEF coincide with an earlier than 10,000 mile oil change and both be serviced at the same time? Or is the higher DEF burn independent?
According to my EVIC, for every 1,000 miles driven equals 10% reduction in oil life. Thus every 10,000 miles for an oil change, in theory. I'm betting that the more miles the quicker the oil life will depreciate. So I would guess 8,000 miles is probably a good time for oil change.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
According to my EVIC, for every 1,000 miles driven equals 10% reduction in oil life. Thus every 10,000 miles for an oil change, in theory. I'm betting that the more miles the quicker the oil life will depreciate. So I would guess 8,000 miles is probably a good time for oil change.
Its more of just a mileage counter IIRC, it doesn't monitor the condition of the oil.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts