RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long day working on both of my boat motors at the marina. Lots of people asking me to lift the hood. Also stopped at my local auto shop and the entire shop was all over, into and under the truck. This is getting tiresome.

Ok, now lets get to it. There's a 4 mile two-lane straight stretch of road to my house with farm fields on both sides. Truck accelerated easily and I just kept going. Did NOT floor it but when I looked down it was around 90 mph easily. I have run my GPS with the speedometer and it's spot on to 80 mph so I assume it's accurate here.

Truck accelerated easily to and past 100 mph. At around 106 mph I felt the truck stop accelerating. There was a lot more pedal but nothing seemed to happen. A quick look down gave me the impression I was only in 7th gear but not sure. Tach showed around 3,200rpm or maybe slightly higher. Noticed it dropped way back when I let off the throttle. Truck was calm, no major sensation of the speed. I was alert and on my game for max attention. Nothing special about the engine or wind sounds either. If it were not for the landscape flying by I could have mistaken it for something n the 80's.

There might be some kind of governor at 106. Don't know. Do know there seemed to be lots and lots of pedal and rpm's left but it stopped at 106.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Heck... it's a truck... not a race car. That's 30 MPH faster than my truck will ever see. But, it's good to know it will go up there.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Oh, you mean on that two lane private drag-strip near your house?! :p No doubt these trucks have computer limited speed. I but your fuel mileage took a hit!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Having the truck computer limiting the top speed lets Ram put a lower speed rated tire on them, probably saves them money. Aftermarket tunes might alter that. Plenty of speed for me though.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tires are a much "cheaper" version of the same size Michelins I had on my old Cummins. They are Goodyear tires made in Canada with two-ply sidewalls and 44 psi pressure ratings.

I kept it around that speed for a mile. Did not take both hands off the wheel but played with the foot throttle that had lots of space left but did nothing. Rolled into the driveway and the lie-o-meter had gone UP .1 mpg than before I did the test.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yep,106mph is the end of the line for my 2012 Hemi too.Never been there but I do have a BD tuner that allows the top speed to be increased.It shows 106 to be factory setting.By the way,glad to know the diesel would do it.I bet your the first.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Have superchip on my 03 hemi, which takes the limiter off, had it up to 227 on GPS..... on private property of course. That's KM/hour or about 136mph

Reactions: Sasquatchilly

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear my 106 test has validity. That's what it did and that's what it was.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Capt, your seat of the pants feel that truck was in 7th gear is probably correct. Doing the math, for 355s, with a .667 final drive, and your wheels, the RPM in 8th gear would have been 127 mph. So you were right on the money when you said you thought it was 7th gear.

Also for our hills in PA, it further supports my leaning towards a 3.92..

Amazing you were not even full pedal, and the little 3.0 V6 held it well, stable, smooth... this must be quite a motor..... can't wait to get one.....

Marsman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts