RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
11 years old and still running great.

I do have one issue with the truck that is random and has been happening for about a year now, random multiple misfires on start up which throws a check engine light. This goes out after a set period of time and will come back about every 3 or 4 weeks. Only happens on a cold start up and afterwards never a hiccup, no loss of power or acceleration. Truck runs great otherwise. Maybe an O2 sensor?

Also have some sun blistering on the roof, but that is my fault for not taking better care of the paint in this continuous hot California sun, my bad.

94k miles, drives as good as new and still very happy with the truck. I will need my first set of brakes here very soon so that is my next maintenance issue.

Other issues over the years were two HVAC blend door motor/actuators and a weepy pinion seal at around 40k miles done under warranty. Not to bad for 11 years.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Guy down the road with near the same experience, including the roof blistering there and on the hood. He always complains about the fuel mileage and more when he tows his toy hauler. Loud exhaust and all, he just runs and runs the snot out of the thing. Then he talks about heading out to get a new truck. Been doing the same thing for the past 4-5 years.

Nothing new at all. Guess both our you like the same old song and dance.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing new at all. Guess both our you like the same old song and dance.
This truck meets all my requirements, all my necessities, has all the features I need, has a lifetime drive train warranty, and no debt. Why would I want a new one? New and shiny bobbles aren't important to me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
When were the plugs last changed? The plugs on the 09 Hemi I believe are to be done every 30k miles. The other culperate could be a coil pack or 2. Should be a code to relate to what cylinders are having the issues.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I was thinking plugs too, but I thought the intervals were 10 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first but I am not certain of that. Anyhow worth a check. I guess wires after 11 years could be an issue too. One trick i have used over the years for a quick wire check. Choose a very dark night and start the truck on idle pop the hood and look for fire flying between the wires or wires and ground. Use a wooden stick to wiggle them around a bit.If the wires are bad it is common to see some sparking.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plugs were changed this past May and the recommended change for a 2009 Hemi is 30k miles. All the plugs looked good, and it is random cylinders I get misfires on so I am not thinking it is the cam right now. Oil and filter has been changed every 3 to 4 k miles by the dealer.

Always, only happens on a cold start up in the first 3 to 4 minutes and never when warmed up. Doesn't seem to be the coil packs as it is different cylinders.

Truck still runs like a beast and I am sure it could still outrun a non tuned first gen EcoBoost.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
2009-2012 hemi spark plugs had a copper tip and recommended interval is 30k. 2013 switched to some iridium tip thingys and the interval went up to 100k. When I changed the plugs on my gf's 2010 I put in the newer plugs and well hopefully not touch them for a long time. One thing the coil packs like is a little dielectric grease could be part of the cold misfire.

·
Registered
692 Posts
11 years old and still running great.

I do have one issue with the truck that is random and has been happening for about a year now, random multiple misfires on start up which throws a check engine light. This goes out after a set period of time and will come back about every 3 or 4 weeks. Only happens on a cold start up and afterwards never a hiccup, no loss of power or acceleration. Truck runs great otherwise. Maybe an O2 sensor?

Also have some sun blistering on the roof, but that is my fault for not taking better care of the paint in this continuous hot California sun, my bad.

94k miles, drives as good as new and still very happy with the truck. I will need my first set of brakes here very soon so that is my next maintenance issue.

Other issues over the years were two HVAC blend door motor/actuators and a weepy pinion seal at around 40k miles done under warranty. Not to bad for 11 years.
Hi: Ramzaq... Sounds a lot like me... but I'm older. No more 60's left on my dance card and I still have a serious "Miss fire" on a cold start up, at least that's what my wife says!!! As for the "Blistering" my skin Dr. just sprays me with his freezy gun and sends me on my way thanks to "Universal health care"!!! No warranty left.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts