Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Big Horn GDE Tuned at 50,000
Oil Changes @ 12000
Fuel Filters @ 25000
Air filters @ 25000
50/50 (Optilube Xl + DieselKleen) most tanks

Putting out some words of praise for the VM Motori 3.0L.
I have had my pickup for 4.5 years now, and have no major complaints. It has started in -25F(-29C) weather and never actually overheated, trough very close. The only thing that has broken down, has been the coolant thermometer, which I mistakenly had replaced by a dealer for an honest 375$.

How cool is it that diesel is finally cheaper than gasoline. I commute around MT frequently, so majority of miles have been highway. 60%Highway 10%City 30%Dirt Road. I can not recommend this vehicle enough for those that have a long commute. It maintains speed effortlessly up hills and after a slight delay, has tons of tourqe for passing. I try to drive no faster than 73 MPH on Interstates, as the hit to mpg is just too much after that. Anything after 65 really becomes noticeable. But in honest conditions I probably average 20 in the city, 24 around town and 30 on the highway.

Overall I am very happy with the motor and could not recommend it to someone enough, if they have a similar pattern of usage to mine. I have read a lot about the mechanical failures of these trucks and cross my fingers every time I start up the beast. However so far, I have nothing but good things to say. My buddy also used a 2016 stock ED to tow his 5,500 lb work trailer around MT and logged 130,000 trouble free miles except for a tiny oil leak on the turbo.

Heres to many more miles,

Justin

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Most people only come to complain. Nice to see. What made you pick a 12k oil change interval?

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most people only come to complain. Nice to see. What made you pick a 12k oil change interval?
Thanks, i like to think I speak for the silent majority. That interval ends up being about a year of use and most of the miles I put on are big chunks of 300-700 mi. I have gotten my oil analyzed at 10500, 11000 and 11500 miles and the TBN and viscosity continue to be high.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great Post!!! just curious... since it appears your following the Schedule of Maintenance.... The fuel... do you run much Bio Diesel blend?

·
Premium Member
14,050 Posts
Once you are out of warranty you can do what you want.

You have the original GDE or are you running stock emissions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great Post!!! just curious... since it appears your following the Schedule of Maintenance.... The fuel... do you run much Bio Diesel blend?
Thanks!

Not intentionally! Im sure I have put some B5 in at this point, but really try to only use #2. I think I have seen max of 10% on our diesel up here. Of course we have winterized fuel from about Oct-Apr and fuel quality varies quite a bit between stations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once you are out of warranty you can do what you want.

You have the original GDE or are you running stock emissions?
I got the GDE Hot Tune at 50k, so I have been running straight back from turbo to muffler unit. Ironically, everyone is getting their catalytic converters stolen around where I live. So mine probably is safer back at my folks barn. I also have a turbo baffle delta tube, which I am not sure ads much value asides from a little more noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts