RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I took my truck in for a few check engine codes. I had the AEM done a few months ago and have had zero issues. The truck is fully stock with 134,000 miles and it runs and drives without issue since I purchased it at 60k miles give or take. A few weeks ago my def gauge stopped responding. I noticed it was dropping and filled up the tank and it didn't go up. Then in the same week the NOx sensor threw a code. Long and short it's just coincidental that it happened simultaneously. I always clean the def injection point and get my def at the pump from a local station that services a big truck Depot.

Thanks to the AEM warranty all my work is covered as both the codes are emissions related. They order the parts and it took a week to arrive. The new def tank went in without a hitch. When they went to replace the NOX sensor however it was stuck in the exhaust pipe. Would not budge. So they moved to the flange upstream. The flange wouldn't come loose either. Heat has caused it to fuse or something I guess. So they moved to the connection at the turbo. They brake the bolts loose and are removing the sections and a piece of the turbo breaks... Now I get a new turbo and a new exhaust all as consequential damage of replacing a nox sensor.

The service advisor tells me to replace the turbo the cab has to come off. I'm just kinda worried that with all this work something else will break. I just imagine all the wiring connections and hoses and linkages connected to the cab that have to be removed to pull it up and off and replace a turbo. Anyone heard this before? Sounds insane to me. The plus Side is it's all free. The down side is I'm driving a junker car from a friend and it's a bit inconvenient for him so I'm throwing him a few hundred bucks for the loaner.

Has anyone experienced this type of scenario?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Like Mr Ted said, the cab comes off in about 2 hours (per the tech who did mine) and is recommended when replacing the turbo. The cab has been off my truck twice, once for a turbo, once for heads. The only complaint I have is that they put the cab back on crooked the first time, it was only off by about 1/2" but was visible when looking at the front of the truck

·
Registered
258 Posts
Fwiw the cabs/beds are that far off alignment from the factory.
My cab is pretty bad. I've learned to ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys. I'll let you all know how it works out. Right now I'm happy for the new parts under the AEM warranty. I was just a bit worried about all the things that needed to be taken apart for the repair causing more things to be fixed. You eased my concerns 2 hours to remove the cab while extensive is less time than I thought.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's also very easy to remove the bed. Took the bed off my last 2005 Ram to make it easy for rustproofing. BTW, when they reinstall the cab, have them put dielectric grease on all of the electrical connections.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts