RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to warm up the truck and it would fire over once the just crank and crank.
Tried cycling the buttpn 4-5 times and by the sound of the fuel pump (loud) the fuel may be gelled.
Ambient temps hovering around d 5-15 since yesterday.
Kinda bummed the truck won't run as we need to pick up firewood

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,879 Posts
Would question gelled fuel but I noticed your location, I'm guessing they don't run winterized diesel that far south. 😳

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing no on the winter fuel.
I was reading about a fuel filter heater and cranking the truck for 30-45 seconds.
I don't know if mine is equipped with a fuel heater and not sure grinding away on the starter for that long is a good idea.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Would question gelled fuel but I noticed your location, I'm guessing they don't run winterized diesel that far south. 😳
I thought winter fuel was nation wide?

This chain carries it all through the south, but it looks like different "treatments" are available in different regions.
Travel America

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,879 Posts
I thought winter fuel was nation wide?

This chain carries it all through the south, but it looks like different "treatments" are available in different regions.
I wouldn't doubt that fuel stations treat by area and the nation wide truckers know to ask how the fuel is treated for where they're headed. The some of the big trucks have tank heaters.
What you probably need is a propane salamander heater and a tarp, direct some heat under the truck for while. Then go find some anti-gel.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
While it sucks pulling the filter when its cold that well be where the gelling is. If it looks cloudy then add a 911 and a new filter if you have one.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is central Texas, it doesn't usually get this cold here.
With the ambient temps currently in the teens I'll wait until tomorrow when the high should be almost 30*.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would it do any good to point a hair drier or heat gun at the filter for a few minutes

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was 2* overnight. Been in the high 20s & low 30s all week with no problems.

Reactions: Cmitch

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Would it do any good to point a hair drier or heat gun at the filter for a few minutes
I would inspect the filter and add Diesel 911 straight to the filter housing.

If you can direct some heat at the filter housing, try and get the fuel lines also. A tarp enclosure around that area would help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Makes sense. We were having the easiest winter ever but a vortex locked us down for the last week. With winter fuel my truck will start not plugged in up to -25°f.

Weathers supposed to break tomorrow and it’s all sunshine and better temps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
I’m in Texas at the moment. A few friends had that issue. Stores were all sold out on anti gel. Luckily I had a bottle of howse and treaded my fuel before the freeze. Fired up fine.

·
Super Moderator
834 Posts
Don't forget you have at least 6 feet or more of fuel line from the filter up to the injection system that's probably gelled too. That ounce of prevention is definitely a good move if you know it's getting cold.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I ended up pointing our space heater at the fuel tank and another one at the fuel filter housing and let them run for about 45 minutes. After that I cycled the button about 15 times until I heard the fuel pump finally load up. After that cranked and has been running find the rest of the day.
Was able to go pick up 1/2 cord of firewood, the truck does surprisingly well in the snow with the stock tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Just put some kerosene in the tank. I run summer diesel here in Maine year round, but cut it 5 gallons to a 26 gallon tank if down to 12-15F and 10 gallons if below zero. Best thing is keeping it in a garage if you can. Once it starts and is running, fuel will heat up from recirculation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts