RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ram 4x2 Eco Gen III, Laramie crew, air susp. DSA rear end, barn door tail gate
119 Posts
chizzle1, you jelled up.... I'm about 6 hours North of you, and there is no treated fuel here either.... usually anything North of the Kansas/Nebraska line is when you begin to find treated diesel... or #1 diesel.... so, there is a company out of Pennsylvania, petroleumservicecompany.com they have what you want, but, it's a little late in your case since next Monday, you'll be busting 60 degrees again.... sometimes some farm and ranch stores carry what you need... but, since you're so far South, you'll need some serendipity to find what you want... now, if you were out in West Texas, as in Amarillo, you'd find it there since they get hit more often than East Texas... oh, one other thing, this last week, here in Grove Oklahoma, did witness 4 Fords drop dead in their tracks..... suggestion, garage your truck with some heat in there for about 24 hours, she'll fire up...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Had another hard freeze and same problem. Found 1/2 bottle of seafoam and that was enough to get her running. Put the Challenger in driveway and moved the truck to the garage. No issues since.
Found a working diesel pump and made another firewood run for the neighbors.
Side note: the electronic gadgetry associated with the 4wd system works amazing on snow & ice, even with the stock Goodyear tires.

I just hope we get power soon, day 4 of no power

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I’ve never had to worry about gelled fuel before in south Texas but with this stuff coming I picked up a bottle Howes, not sure I spelled that correctly..., when I got home I put in the prescribed amount with the truck idling and let it run a few minutes in hopes it would distribute through the system. Have had no issues even in the upper single digits/low teens.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
This no 4x4 when in park is a safety problem. I figured this out when attempting to set the parking brake on a hill in 4 wheel drive hi or low.
When I took my foot off the brake the front wheels started to turn.
My previous 01 ram with a solid front axle and NV transfer case did not have this issue.
If we dealt with snow or ice on a more frequent basis I would look into the manual locking switch I have read about.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,879 Posts
This no 4x4 when in park is a safety problem. I figured this out when attempting to set the parking brake on a hill in 4 wheel drive hi or low.
When I took my foot off the brake the front wheels started to turn.
My previous 01 ram with a solid front axle and NV transfer case did not have this issue.
If we dealt with snow or ice on a more frequent basis I would look into the manual locking switch I have read about.
It's a design quirk of the BW44-44, the front axle drive clutch is released when not under power or the truck is shut off. The BW44-45 doesn't do this also this is supposed to be remedied with the transfer case used in the Gen5 (DT) truck BW48-11.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes, wasn't that a lovely feeling stop, throw it in park, release the brake and start to get out and the truck starts sliding.
The first time mine did that to me was facing uphill and had gotten the door open and was about halfway out when it took off.
Now when I need to stop on icy hills, I will LEAVE THE TRUCK IN GEAR REVERSE OR DRIVE WITH THE PARKING BRAKE ON.
Another reason to not have the auto park feature active, I use the seat belt extenders to eliminate that.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts