1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We all hope for sooner than later but it has been delayed several times already. :( Of course, long waits between product announcement and delivery have become almost standard in many industries. It has taken me up to 6 months to receive cameras that I ordered! New computers and phones often take several months.

At the beginning of November a Ram rep told me that production would start the beginning of January with a few units probably coming out before the holidays in December. Now I see that production updates posted on 11/18 show it as 1/20/14 with a 10-12 week lead time! So, March seems optimistic for when they will reach dealer lots. :eek: I'm sure it will be worth the wait for those of us who are not in need of a truck now.

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
ugh, lets hope that RAM is just playing on the safe side when it comes to release dates. Under Promise, Over Deliver!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I see that production updates posted on 11/18 show it as 1/20/14 with a 10-12 week lead time!
Hey... 1/20 is my B'Day:)

Where can you find information about the production schedule?

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I finally got around to reading the owners Manuel for my 2014 ram. There is a whole section on the ecodiesel. A little while back i test drive one and posted some info from the rep. I quoted about the 5000 lb daily towing rating and 7200lb max tow. I was questioned on the 5000lb daily towing and this person wanted the reps name to hang him. So I turn to the tow rating page in my book and there it is. The 4 doors are rated for 5000lb daily towing and 7200lb max. If you don't like the info you read, try looking it up before you rant on correct info.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I finally got around to reading the owners Manuel for my 2014 ram. There is a whole section on the ecodiesel. A little while back i test drive one and posted some info from the rep. I quoted about the 5000 lb daily towing rating and 7200lb max tow. I was questioned on the 5000lb daily towing and this person wanted the reps name to hang him. So I turn to the tow rating page in my book and there it is. The 4 doors are rated for 5000lb daily towing and 7200lb max. If you don't like the info you read, try looking it up before you rant on correct info.
If that is the case and since I would order a 4 door, loaded 4WD, I'm even more convinced to order it with the 3.92 axle ratio. My boat, when loaded with boating accessories and on it's tandem trailer weighs approximately 5,000#. I estimate I tow it approximately 2,000 km a year. My annual overall mileage averages about 16,000 km per year.
Why is there a difference between "daily towing" and max. towing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am not sure. Have the user guide in front of me now and all 3 engines with 8 speed say 5000lbs for daily standard towing. Max towing number are different for each engine as we know. And payload numbers are different for each model. Might be worth a trip to dealer to look at a user guide. 1500/2500/3500 all use same book.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure. Have the user guide in front of me now and all 3 engines with 8 speed say 5000lbs for daily standard towing. Max towing number are different for each engine as we know. And payload numbers are different for each model. Might be worth a trip to dealer to look at a user guide. 1500/2500/3500 all use same book.
Digital (PDF format) owners manuals can be found at the Ram Trucks site.

My Ram Trucks: Ram Owners Service Manuals - Ram Cars, Minivans, SUVs

Page 70 of the Diesel supplement only gives max towing for certain models:

1500 ST SLT Bighorn/Lonestar Laramie Outdoorsman
3.0L Turbo Diesel Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission Max Towing: 9,250 lbs (4 196 kg)
Max Payload: 1,520 lbs (689 kg)

I think, but it is not clear to me from what I read in the user manual that the 5000 lb. figure for towing is for trucks not equipped with the Trailer Tow Group and the Diesel Max Towing Package.

From the towing charts on the ramtrucks.com site, I am to believe that the 4x4 QC Outdoorsman is rated to tow 8750 lbs. with the 3.92 rear end.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Are you refering to where it says Standard 5,000# and MAX 7200, 9200 10450 ETC?

If so you are misunderstanding what it says. Standard means how the truck comes standard ie, without a hitch and it's rated to tow 5,000# with the bumper. The MAX of 10,450 comes from when you add the hitch to it, the Class IV hitch is rated for 10,450 or less depending on your set up. Notice on page 585 where it shows you the different hitches offered, Class IV hitch has a max of 10,450 but not all trucks come stock with a hitch but every single truck has a bumper on it, which is "standard" and those happen to be a Class III bumper which is 5,000#

So yes your sales man is misinformed/lying. don't get confused between standard and max. you have standard which is limited by the bumper, you have max which is limited by the chassis. if you got the tow package your max towing is 10,450. You then subtract based on rear gear, trim level/options, cargo, passengers, etc

·
Registered
89 Posts
Then the book is misleading because in canada every truck comes with the hitch. It shows as an option but it is not. And I would love to see someone hook up 5000lbs to there bumper. The bumper would not be on the truck for very long.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've done it. My dad used nothing but the bumper to pull his boat. Yes, eventually your bumper will become V'd if you tow that much over a long period.

·
Registered
274 Posts
From the horses mouth:

I am glad to read of your interest in Ram.

According to our provided resources, the information the salesman has provided to you is incorrect.

According to our preliminary provided resources, the 2014 Ram 1500 equipped with the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel is slated to have a towing capacity of up to 9,200 pounds (with the proper hitch). Our resources indicate that this specification, as it relates to the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel, would be for a 2014 Ram 1500 Regular Cab 4x2 model with the 8? Box equipped with the 3.92 rear axle ratio only.

The towing specification provided above is for everyday towing and would not be restricted to a lesser towing capacity (e.g. 5,000 lbs as you were told) just because you were using it for everyday towing. If you plan to tow more than 5,000 lbs frequently you do not need to get the Hemi or adhere to a 5,000 lb max tow. The new 3.0L EcoDiesel will more than meet your expectations and can be used for everyday towing at whatever the Max Tow spec is for the model/trim/options that you choose.

I will provide the towing chart for the Ram 1500 models which gives the "Max" Tow for each model and engine/cab/trim/option level, at the following link.

http://chryslermedia.iconicweb.com/mediasite/specs/2014_Ram_1500_TowCharts.pdf

Please keep in mind that specifications for the 2014 Ram 1500 factory equipped with the 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel are preliminary and may be subject to change when the 3.0L EcoDiesel enters the factory order system soon.

Please feel free to sign up for updates on the Ram brand by visiting Ram | Signup By signing up, you will receive a quarterly eNewsletter with updates and information as it becomes available on new vehicles, special offers, upcoming events, and more.

If you have any further product questions about the current Ram lineup, you are always welcome to reply back to this email and we will respond back to you as promptly as we can. If you prefer, you can also call us
directly with your questions at the Ram Product Information Center by calling 1-800-964-0600.

Thank you for your interest in Ram, Dennis. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Mark
Ram Product Information Center

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I have been waiting and waiting. My Ridgeline is now at 140000 miles and a 2009. I was really looking at already having this truck. I hate to go buy another brand in gas but I do not want to wait till March or later. I would be over 150k by then. I am sure my truck can handle it but my trade value keeps getting lower. Come on Ram you told us October and here it is December. Let us get our trucks and don't screw us by not giving same rebates and prices equal to the 2014 hemi Ram. This truck I understand is 2850 sticker higher but should sale about 2600 more total after rebates and stuff. I just have a feeling I'm waiting then the dealers are going to say we want sticker for the diesel instead of same price as the hemi except for the engine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Crappie Man, the Ridgeline has one of those built in fish ice chests in the bed ! not sure if the Ram has that ! I always thought it would be handy in my steelhead fishing !
Looks like the wait is on, like you, I almost test drove the hemi.... But I have decided it will either be the diesel or nothing... perhaps an outside chance at another duramax... I think the 1500 is going to be good at a lot of different things, and the better the fuel economy, the more I will use it.....

Be patient ! and if you get a gasser, let us know which one ! and give a review. Marsman

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well I have been waiting and waiting. My Ridgeline is now at 140000 miles and a 2009. I was really looking at already having this truck. I hate to go buy another brand in gas but I do not want to wait till March or later. I would be over 150k by then. I am sure my truck can handle it but my trade value keeps getting lower. Come on Ram you told us October and here it is December. Let us get our trucks and don't screw us by not giving same rebates and prices equal to the 2014 hemi Ram. This truck I understand is 2850 sticker higher but should sale about 2600 more total after rebates and stuff. I just have a feeling I'm waiting then the dealers are going to say we want sticker for the diesel instead of same price as the hemi except for the engine.
Welcome, CM, you've hit upon a couple of things with the Ram 1500 diesel: it has been delayed several times and it has a hefty premium over the gas engines. Frustrating for sure. It will get here eventually and if you can wait I think it will be worth it. I'm driving a car with over 160k miles and if I had to replace it next week for some reason then the diesel would be off the table. I'll wait as long as I can within reason.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Crappie Man, the Ridgeline has one of those built in fish ice chests in the bed ! not sure if the Ram has that ! I always thought it would be handy in my steelhead fishing !
Looks like the wait is on, like you, I almost test drove the hemi.... But I have decided it will either be the diesel or nothing... perhaps an outside chance at another duramax... I think the 1500 is going to be good at a lot of different things, and the better the fuel economy, the more I will use it.....

Be patient ! and if you get a gasser, let us know which one ! and give a review. Marsman
The RamBox sounds like a great option for fishermen needing to keep their catch or their beer cold.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The RamBox sounds like a great option for fishermen needing to keep their catch or their beer cold.
Yeah. Ram box would be nice. I told myself today after going and driving the f150 and the new chevy that I wouldn't be happy 3 months from now when the diesel will hopefully arrive. Went to dodge dealer and they said hopefully after first of year they will let us order. So if that is the case it would be probably March. I am sticking it out. I want a Laramie with nav and 4x4. The hemi version in 2014 stickers for 49k and sells for 41k so the diesel should be 52k and should sell for around 44k. I'm ready for sure. Had a 2000 duramax and it was great towing and I got 19 mpg mixed and 16 towing my boat. This truck will fit exactly my needs how I use it. 30000 miles a year commute mostly hyw and use it on weekends towing bass boat. Hurry up Ram!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've heard great things about the RamBox on other forums. I just wish it was double hinged(or?) to work with a shell. I want one but need a shell on my truck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts