RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a 2014 Power Wagon but after a family member brought home the new eco diesel I am not sure if I want the Wagon or a 1500 diesel! I know that they are in no way, shape or form comparable vehicles, but those are the two I'm torn between. I've never owned a 1500 truck and that is my main hold up. The eco diesel seems to run great but I'm not sure if I'd be satisfied with it since I'm used to three-quarter ton trucks. I also know that I probably wont use the Wagon for it's intended purposes. I'm sure the winch will never been un-spooled and the lockers will only be used 'just because'. With that being said, has anyone transitioned from a three-quarter ton truck to an eco diesel? Are you happy with the way it tows, rides, etc.? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I downsized from my 2007 Cummins Megacab and the only complaint i have sofar is that its not a cummins. If you dont need the HD aspect of the 3/4 ton then you wont miss it. I was always bouncing around and getting shook to pieces in the megacab but now its like riding in a luxury car. I had a 2500 hemi to, same thing so much better ride, plus that truck was lucky to get 13mpg unloaded usually around 11, so its well worth the 23mpg ive gotten so far.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
It seems from reading people's posts on here a lot of people are making the transition. (that don't actually need A 3/4 ton)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I ordered a 2014 Power Wagon but after a family member brought home the new eco diesel I am not sure if I want the Wagon or a 1500 diesel! I know that they are in no way, shape or form comparable vehicles, but those are the two I'm torn between. I've never owned a 1500 truck and that is my main hold up. The eco diesel seems to run great but I'm not sure if I'd be satisfied with it since I'm used to three-quarter ton trucks. I also know that I probably wont use the Wagon for it's intended purposes. I'm sure the winch will never been un-spooled and the lockers will only be used 'just because'. With that being said, has anyone transitioned from a three-quarter ton truck to an eco diesel? Are you happy with the way it tows, rides, etc.? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Are you serious? A Power Wagon is a very cool truck but it is highly specialized and nothing like a 1500 or even a typical 2500. It comes in only a Crew Cab, 6'4" box, 6.4L Hemi, 6-speed tranny and 4.10 axle ratio. It will cost an arm and leg to operate and has limited payload, so you need to really love the concept and want the off-road capability--or image. The EcoDiesel is a completely different market that values fuel economy, comfort and versatility. If you are torn between such extremes, it sounds like you should just meet in the middle and get a 2500 diesel.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I downsized from my 2007 Cummins Megacab and the only complaint i have sofar is that its not a cummins. If you dont need the HD aspect of the 3/4 ton then you wont miss it. I was always bouncing around and getting shook to pieces in the megacab but now its like riding in a luxury car. I had a 2500 hemi to, same thing so much better ride, plus that truck was lucky to get 13mpg unloaded usually around 11, so its well worth the 23mpg ive gotten so far.
I agree coming out of a 08 cummins myself. only bought 3/4 tons for the diesel. pull a 34ft camper once a year for turkey hunting and that's it. wanted the mileage and reliability of dsl engine so 3/4 ton was the only option since the early 80's when junky motors had Detroit's in their 1500 trucks, blazers and suburban's. you will love the 1500 unless you pull real heavy loads a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've owned 4 3500 4x4 Cummins Diesels mainly due to reliability and the fact I love Diesels :) . Soon as I heard of the ecodiesel, I told the wife thats our new truck. And it is. Love everything so far. You will too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Most of the time at work I'm driving a Power Wagon with the HEMI. It's got a 1500 pound "cage" in the back. It's got a lot of pep, takes a beating on all the crap dirt roads that I drive, but they average only about 9 mpg under the conditions we work them. The traction and sway bar control gadgets only offer so much, and aren't even working most of the time (due to the unintentional but necessary abuse the trucks take). If your wondering what I do for a living I'll say it without saying it, I patrol the US-Mexican border in AZ.

If any truck manufacturer want their products thoroughly tested and proved off road, they should just take to us. I am a very experienced 4x4 (not rock crawling, though close) driver.

Chevy's absolutely suck off road. Fords are a little better, but lack on uphill power and easily loses traction (wrecked one because the aftermarket suspension was horrible). But Rams (Dodges) are favored by most agents, including me, at my station, PWs or not, Cummins or Hemis,There were some problems with the steering linkage and control bars on the Dodges (I personally had a few close calls with losing steering). However, Rams are the way to go IMHO.

All that said, if Ram would/could put a PW package on the 1500 ED, that would be SWEET!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Most of the time at work I'm driving a Power Wagon with the HEMI. It's got a 1500 pound "cage" in the back. It's got a lot of pep, takes a beating on all the crap dirt roads that I drive, but they average only about 9 mpg under the conditions we work them. The traction and sway bar control gadgets only offer so much, and aren't even working most of the time (due to the unintentional but necessary abuse the trucks take). If your wondering what I do for a living I'll say it without saying it, I patrol the US-Mexican border in AZ.

If any truck manufacturer want their products thoroughly tested and proved off road, they should just take to us. I am a very experienced 4x4 (not rock crawling, though close) driver.

Chevy's absolutely suck off road. Fords are a little better, but lack on uphill power and easily loses traction (wrecked one because the aftermarket suspension was horrible). But Rams (Dodges) are favored by most agents, including me, at my station, PWs or not, Cummins or Hemis,There were some problems with the steering linkage and control bars on the Dodges (I personally had a few close calls with losing steering). However, Rams are the way to go IMHO.

All that said, if Ram would/could put a PW package on the 1500 ED, that would be SWEET!
There is a lot I could say, but I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
12,843 Posts
Three diesel trucks in a row for 1/2 million miles. No longer tow big stuff. The Ecodiesel is fine for me. I miss the Cummins. I don't miss the fuel mileage and rough ride. Do miss the manual transmission.

The 1500 Eco. is probably the best of what's made in it's class today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys -

thought I was set on getting an EcoD but then saw a few threads about Power Wagon, especially what AZDZRTFOX wrote, and test drove a couple EcoD and also a 3.6 V6 pentastar. Also did a lot of reading; this forum has a lot of excellent information; also have been reading PowerWagonRegistry.org (good info, not nearly as active as this forum). Now I'm leaning more toward the PW, especially after driving my 2003 Dodge 3/4 ton in the woods several times this fall. I think the new PW with rear air bags would be about perfect for my use.

Based on less than 10,000 miles per year by my calculations it would be less than $1000 per year difference between EcoD and PW.

Here is a photo of my old 3/4 ton Ford (this is actually 2 loads of firewood hauled with the 03 Dodge:

72 F250 small.jpg

Then Car & Driver had a test of 2013 RAM 1500 with the 3.6 V6 pentastar; this photo and a few others on their review looks like it can handle firewood hauling pretty well...
View attachment 2013 RAM 1500 3.6 V6 firewood small.bmp

Thanks to everyone for all their information; very useful & informative to read your experiences with your trucks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would love for the outdoorsman to be more like the powerwagon. I would love it to have a leveling kit, tall 17" tires, off road tires, bench seat. and not fancy stuff like 8.4 screen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts