RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
I’m not sure the coolant catching on fire is the root cause of the fires. The leak allows the coolant to escape from the system. At some point, air will enter the system to take the place of the lost coolant. If coolant can leak out of the EGR cooler, it would stand to reason that “air” would get sucked back in from the failed cooler after the engine is shut off and cools down. Given that the EGR is one of the higher locations in the cooling system, that air is probably never completely purged to the degas bottle, especially when this happens every time the engine cools off. This would allow air to accumulate in the EGR cooler and eventually render it ineffective at cooling the EGR gas. The hot gas heats, then melts and finally ignites the plastic of the intake.

Miraculously I was getting smoke thru the AC vents and the truck didn’t go up in flames. Got a new EGR cooler and intake and all was well...although that happened an hour and 15 minutes after signing on the dotted line. Easy come, easy go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
482 Posts
We never heard of an ecodiesel fire until after the AEM recall started in May 2019. Maybe there was one here or there, but the instances since the recall have increased significantly. We maintain the fires are due to very poor engine calibration and not the egr cooler.
I have said this from the start. The EGR cooler and setup with a composite manifold was never intended or tested for the true duty cycle defined now after the AEM.

The old tune had the actual egr duty cycle at a fraction of where it is post AEM.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have said this from the start. The EGR cooler and setup with a composite manifold was never intended or tested for the true duty cycle defined now after the AEM.

The old tune had the actual egr duty cycle at a fraction of where it is post AEM.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The 17s and up didnt get it so I assume the tuning passes just like the aem had too. Not sure how many 17+ have burned up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,172 Posts
Just a fyi the egr should be closed and not flowing during regen other wise it would be putting fuel into the intake. Intake manifold temps should never exceed 300 F which is well below auto ignition temps for coolant. Egr flow is normally no more than 30% of total air so the other 70% comes from the intercooler and should be within 30ish degrees of ambient temp. All this is generalized and not specific to this engine of course .
We have measured temps going into the manifold at 500 F with the AEM tune. The plastic manifold starts melting around 356 F. FCA never read the book 'Fahrenheit 451' lol

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m not sure the coolant catching on fire is the root cause of the fires. The leak allows the coolant to escape from the system. At some point, air will enter the system to take the place of the lost coolant. If coolant can leak out of the EGR cooler, it would stand to reason that “air” would get sucked back in from the failed cooler after the engine is shut off and cools down. Given that the EGR is one of the higher locations in the cooling system, that air is probably never completely purged to the degas bottle, especially when this happens every time the engine cools off. This would allow air to accumulate in the EGR cooler and eventually render it ineffective at cooling the EGR gas. The hot gas heats, then melts and finally ignites the plastic of the intake.

Miraculously I was getting smoke thru the AC vents and the truck didn’t go up in flames. Got a new EGR cooler and intake and all was well...although that happened an hour and 15 minutes after signing on the dotted line. Easy come, easy go!

Interesting thought. If so, vapor lock in the EGR coolant channels?

·
Registered
743 Posts
We have measured temps going into the manifold at 500 F with the AEM tune. The plastic manifold starts melting around 356 F. FCA never read the book 'Fahrenheit 451' lol
Have you tested a 17 or newer that didnt get the aem?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Interesting thought. If so, vapor lock in the EGR coolant channels?
Basically. I don’t have any proof, just a theory based on what little we know about the actual failure and experience working on vehicles and troubleshooting industrial equipment.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yikes that is stupid high intake temps but still not enough to cause auto ignition with coolant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A Ram dealer said that? Interesting.

Your bio says you drive a 2015, is it still under warranty?
I thought the same thing, honestly I don't wonder if they're not just sick of seeing me weekly lol. I outdrove the 100k in my third year, but still have the added AEM warranty for another (20k?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The majority of fire pics I've seen are highway with trailers in tow. Not all but most. The rest are on open roads/highway just the truck.

I think that's what mine did. Dealer said it had 3 good sized holes melted in it and he started it right up and drove it into his bay.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We never heard of an ecodiesel fire until after the AEM recall started in May 2019. Maybe there was one here or there, but the instances since the recall have increased significantly. We maintain the fires are due to very poor engine calibration and not the egr cooler.
Could this be related to the age of the vehicles. The AEM took 4 years to settle and be implemented. If the failed EGRs are from earlier engines with lots of thermocycles on them, we could just be seeing the results of 2 independent issues coming together at the same space-time interval. In other words, its not clear to me that A causes B in this case.

So, what you are telling me is that monitor the intake temperatures isn't going to help me one bit ... Solid.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Is the cooler alone going to fix this? Besides a proper tune?

How comfortable can we be once a new part is installed?

·
Registered
243 Posts
2017 GDE Tuned..
Never had AEM done as it was:
A) outside the years required for it
B) in Canada where there was no reward for completing it..

How concerned should I be regarding a potential fire being EGR or as GDE stated poor engine calibration related?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Theres been plenty of them. Theres a facebook group specifically for fires. No one is gonna try to put their truck out if it burns. I called my insurance company, they would pay it and go after FCA for the money. Info about the recall and the fact they catch on fire is old news. The 2019 and 2020 2500 and 3500 with the cummins and auto trans is now on the recall fire list due to trans fluid dipstick popping out with the chance of fluid landing on the turbo. Promasters also are recalled for fire.

If mine catches fire, I’m gonna have a BBQ.

·
Registered
255 Posts
But if you melt a hole in the intake manifold and therefore introduce fresh air required for ignition.........
I've been trying figure out how boost/vacuum plays into all of this, if at all. Under boost, a hole in the manifold would only allow EGR and charge air out. Under vacuum the engine would suck fresh air in through the hole. How often are these engines in vacuum? I also wonder about any hint of fire not just getting sucked/blown into the next intake stroke. Maybe the fires don't actually start until right when the engine shuts off. Before that, the driver could be smelling melting plastic or seeing smoke from that, but no flames.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Damn I just bought a 2020 eco , has this issue been fixed?
The 2020 Eco is a brand new engine, redesigned. Not included in this issue.....yet.

...and welcome to the forum!

21 - 40 of 96 Posts