RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Eco diesel without the air ride suspension. I have a 10 year old ram 1500 that shakes and rattles whenever i hit a bump in the road. How do the new trucks ride without the air ride suspension?

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Bring that Carolina Skiff here and take me for a ride. Then I will let you ride my truck.

it's fine to me. Not as rough as my 2500 Cummins was. There is a bit more noticeable road feel but that's maybe a good thing. All seems normal to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mine rides like a Cadillac compared to my 2003 ram 1500 I use to drive that I thought rode nice lol

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ride's great for a truck

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ride's like a big sedan. Really terrific.

I put in Airlift 1000 airbags for towing. No pump, just the bags so the simple as possible system would have few failure points. I use a cheap Black and Decker air compressor that lets you set the pressure. So once I hook up, I pull the pump out of the trailer, set the pressure on the pump, hook it to the nozzle and in 30secs the airbags are at 35psi. Whole operation takes 90secs.

I don't trust air suspension. I've had too many problems with BMW air suspensions over the years so I burned thru all my trust. The Ram forums have lots of complaints re. air suspension behaving erratically or draining batteries. Springs are entirely reliable.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I had the update done last week.... no notices since(knock wood).... is it me or does it seem to operate faster and smoother as well?(with the update)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Way better than my 2008 Ram. No comparison!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Having had a Cadillac CTS, yes, it does ride like a Cadillac. Don't worry about it Skiff man, it is a fantastic truck. And thanks for not buying mine! Then I'd be without.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drew, I wanted a 4 wheel drive because I got stuck a few times last fall. I really liked the looks of your truck but went with the granite crystal color hoping it would show less dirt than white. I hope my truck comes in next week or no later than the 23rd. It has been a real pain waiting for the new truck to come in. I am so ready to unload my 04 Ram with 150,000 miles and drive a new one!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I came from a 2010 2500 and this thing rides like a dream compared to that and I like the ride better than the wife's Honda Pilot Touring.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Ride's like a big sedan. Really terrific.

I put in Airlift 1000 airbags for towing. No pump, just the bags so the simple as possible system would have few failure points. I use a cheap Black and Decker air compressor that lets you set the pressure. So once I hook up, I pull the pump out of the trailer, set the pressure on the pump, hook it to the nozzle and in 30secs the airbags are at 35psi. Whole operation takes 90secs.

I don't trust air suspension. I've had too many problems with BMW air suspensions over the years so I burned thru all my trust. The Ram forums have lots of complaints re. air suspension behaving erratically or draining batteries. Springs are entirely reliable.
I plan on installing airbags like you. Did it help the ride? I was ecstatic with the ride if my 13 so I ordered without air suspension as well. Cool feature but I was nervous about longevity plus I didn't feel I needed it.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
My experience with air ride comes from 18-wheelers. I haven't had many problems, so I don't have a problem trusting in the modern technology of air ride. We are presently in a 2012 Big Horn and it rides better than my mom's Lincoln MkZ! I'm thinking the factory air ride will be even better.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I plan on installing airbags like you. Did it help the ride? I was ecstatic with the ride if my 13 so I ordered without air suspension as well. Cool feature but I was nervous about longevity plus I didn't feel I needed it.
If the trailer is not hooked up, I don't notice a difference in the ride w/ 35psi in the air bags. Driving a bit around town tho isn't much of a suspension test. I bet 35psi adds about 350lbs to the rear spring rate and that's not chump change, so the difference has to be there.

When the trailer is hooked up the air bags are pretty important. A car can easily become uncontrollable if the suspension is banging off of the bumpstops. With no air bags I had 3" of rear sag. When I was taking those measurements I didn't look to see how close I was to the end of suspension travel but it couldn't have been too far.

End of suspension travel = banging off of the bumpstops.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Then there's no reason you can't use Timbren bumper stops. Even with the air pressure up, any extra bouncing would move an inch and hit into the Timbren's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts