RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone is having issues with the 18 ecodiesl? My 15 is at the dealer about to get it’s 4th motor in under 40k miles and I love everything about the truck but I can’t deal with it anymore. So I was trying to see if maybe going to an 18 might be ok or if they still have reliability issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, 4 engines... maybe the ecodiesel isn’t for you. Maybe your driving style is hard on this engine. I don’t think there are any major design differences with the 2018.
Ha you would think... I drive like a grandpa, don’t accelerate hard, rarely speed, none of that. The motor blew at 7k with the previous owner. I bought it at 17k and threw a rod through the block at 19k and now at 36k it was knocking pretty weird so I took it in and when they pulled the oil pan it had metal all in the oil, like a lot of it. Nothing done to the truck aftermarket wise l. Oil changes done on a regular basis by the dealership. So I have no idea what is going on

·
Registered
13,523 Posts
You serious. 4 motors?????

Welcome to the forum. Man really surprised you have not been here before. FOUR is a forum record.Maybe glad you were not here, Don’t play the lottery. You have world record bad luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You serious. 4 motors?????

Welcome to the forum. Man really surprised you have not been here before. FOUR is a forum record.Maybe glad you were not here, Don’t play the lottery. You have world record bad luck.
Haha tell me about it. I had a case to lemon law the truck last time but was in the middle of my fiancé having our baby so I didn’t want an extra headache... decided to stick with it because I love the truck other than the issues but seems like I made the wrong move

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ha you would think... I drive like a grandpa, don’t accelerate hard, rarely speed, none of that. The motor blew at 7k with the previous owner. I bought it at 17k and threw a rod through the block at 19k and now at 36k it was knocking pretty weird so I took it in and when they pulled the oil pan it had metal all in the oil, like a lot of it. Nothing done to the truck aftermarket wise l. Oil changes done on a regular basis by the dealership. So I have no idea what is going on

Im not sure my counting skills are much to brag about, but 7k = 1, 19k = 2 and 36 k = 3?

Not that it isn't a problem to run thru 3 in 36K...how strange that your truck is thus cursed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not sure my counting skills are much to brag about, but 7k = 1, 19k = 2 and 36 k = 3?

Not that it isn't a problem to run thru 3 in 36K...how strange that your truck is thus cursed.
That’s how many times it’s blown one... 1 motor/ blown at 7k, 2nd motor at 19k, 3rd motor at 36k, so now it’s getting it’s 4th motor

·
Registered
766 Posts
Common denominator equals the dealer doing service. So highly unlikely this could ever happen unless there’s reason which I just listed above
Something fishy, in the water as people say. Definitely find the common denominator/issue and get away from it, IMHO...:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

That’s how many times it’s blown one... 1 motor/ blown at 7k, 2nd motor at 19k, 3rd motor at 36k, so now it’s getting it’s 4th motor

·
Registered
322 Posts
Op dont be surprised, lotsa people on their 3rd engine, the common denominator imo is FCA not telling the world the real root cause of motors blowing up with so low miles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Op dont be surprised, lotsa people on their 3rd engine, the common denominator imo is FCA not telling the world the real root cause of motors blowing up with so low miles.
There are lotsa people on their third engine!!!??? Is there a thread about that? Could you share a link to that info, I haven’t seen it.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Sounds like you're oil changes start by removing the engine and replace the whole thing. So you must have a dealer that requested nothing but Tony motors.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have seen other reporting multiple failures aswell. Its gotta be a certian type of a scenario for certain type of people that makes them throw rods. Rest of it is all speculation.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I wouldn't buy another Ecodiesel until either FCA figures out the problem or they have a different engine. I love the Ecodiesel, but the engine has too many problems and the reliability is not the best. FCA needs to come clean with the Ecodiesel fiasco, but I think the EPA lawsuit already has them between a rock and hard spot. I'm just waiting on my settlement check so I can move on. Hopefully the next generation of Ecodiesel is a better engine, otherwise, I might have to look at GM or Ford's 3.0L.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ha you would think... I drive like a grandpa, don’t accelerate hard, rarely speed, none of that. The motor blew at 7k with the previous owner. I bought it at 17k and threw a rod through the block at 19k
Sometimes "style of driving" has nothing to do with abuse. The way I understand it, these engines need to be used and like to be driven for long periods of time under a reasonable load, inother words they need to work and be warm to stay clean.

If I understand it correctly the previous owner lost a motor at 7k, then drove it for another 10k after having the motor replaced (not rebuilt ?), then you bought it and put another 2k on it before it died again, so you had the motor "replaced" (again .. not rebuilt ?) Then it died again at 36k, so you had the motor "replaced" and now with approximately 4k on a new replacement motor you are looking at another failed engine?

There's definitely something fishy going on somewhere.

·
Administrator
8,677 Posts
Have seen other reporting multiple failures aswell. Its gotta be a certian type of a scenario for certain type of people that makes them throw rods. Rest of it is all speculation.
While driving style can affect engine longevity, it has very little to do with a defective engine failure.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Wondering if anyone is having issues with the 18 ecodiesl? My 15 is at the dealer about to get it’s 4th motor in under 40k miles and I love everything about the truck but I can’t deal with it anymore. So I was trying to see if maybe going to an 18 might be ok or if they still have reliability issues

What dealership is this taking place at ? Do you have any recordings of the most recent noise it was making ? Do you have any engine #s you can share with us ? Do you have any pics of it in the shop ?

Do you know how suspicious it sounds , when a guy who has claimed he is on his 3rd ECODIESEL engine in less than 30,000 miles , asks if he should get a 2018 ECODIESEL , or if its shit too ? Who would ask that question , if this was reality ?

Not saying you are fibbing here ,, but at this point I need to see some facts to back this whole story up. Until then , this reads as satire...

I will wait to stand corrected , and if so look forward to the information.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts