RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wondering if anyone is having issues with the 18 ecodiesl? My 15 is at the dealer about to get it’s 4th motor in under 40k miles and I love everything about the truck but I can’t deal with it anymore. So I was trying to see if maybe going to an 18 might be ok or if they still have reliability issues

My 18 just had a rod bust through the engine block at 27,400 miles 😑. Waiting for a new engine
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't buy another Ecodiesel until either FCA figures out the problem or they have a different engine. I love the Ecodiesel, but the engine has too many problems and the reliability is not the best. FCA needs to come clean with the Ecodiesel fiasco, but I think the EPA lawsuit already has them between a rock and hard spot. I'm just waiting on my settlement check so I can move on. Hopefully the next generation of Ecodiesel is a better engine, otherwise, I might have to look at GM or Ford's 3.0L.
Well, I must be one of the lucky ones. I bought my 2016 Ecodiesel used with 31K miles and found out it had a leaking EGR cooler about 7000 miles later after topping off the coolant reservoir multiple times and looking for leaks. I just turned 110K miles and haven't had a single problem since the EGR cooler was replaced. No oil consumption, no rods through the side of the block, no main bearing or crankshaft failures, zippo problems. Based on what I'm reading hear my peach must be the exception to all the lemons..............

·
Registered
775 Posts
Based on what I'm reading hear my peach must be the exception to all the lemons..............
No, there are 160,000 EcoDiesels out there. This forum has 16,000 members. My guess is that less than 10% of them post regularly and there are still several of us who have (like me) had no real troubles. Mine is 50,000 miles (80k km) and is absolutely stock and is a joy .... I have had one DEF heater element, one RH mirror (came loose), and any OEM recalls, all under warranty ..... nothing else.

I think that like many news events .... the engine failures are exceptional but sensational and get the press .... those of us with dull boring "no issues" stories are the norm but that don't sell newspapers .... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I must be one of the lucky ones. I bought my 2016 Ecodiesel used with 31K miles and found out it had a leaking EGR cooler about 7000 miles later after topping off the coolant reservoir multiple times and looking for leaks. I just turned 110K miles and haven't had a single problem since the EGR cooler was replaced. No oil consumption, no rods through the side of the block, no main bearing or crankshaft failures, zippo problems. Based on what I'm reading hear my peach must be the exception to all the lemons..............
I ended up trading in for a 20 5.7 hemi

·
Registered
740 Posts
I figure that I've driven around 2-2.5 million miles in my lifetime. I even drove 2 Mazda Rotary Pickups, first rusted out at 100,000 miles, motor was still good. Second one went 240,000 miles, I sprayed used oil under it. At 240k, it blew an apex seal, but still got me home. The only bad engine that I ever had was a 2.4L Tacoma! My Ecodiesel has been flawless for 84,000 miles. Sometimes you get dealt a bad hand. Ecodiesel has been the best truck that I've ever owned, but if it lets me down, I will drop it like a loaded diaper. I remember the Mazda dealer saying, we never saw a 13B rotary lasting and they were junk, but guess I was lucky.

·
Registered
2015 Laramie 2WD
44 Posts
I think that like many news events .... the engine failures are exceptional but sensational and get the press .... those of us with dull boring "no issues" stories are the norm but that don't sell newspapers .... :)
Agreed. I bought my Laramie 2 years ago with 82,000 miles on it. It has 113,000 now and I have only had to do scheduled maintenance and recalls, and front brake pads at 96,000 miles. The only issue I have had was the one time the radio would not shut off and I had to disconnect the negative battery terminal. It has not done it since, been about a year. Oh, and I did have to replace the coolant reservoir cap after I broke it, but that was my fault. I'm very happy with this truck.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Other than my EGR cooler leaking at 98,000kms which resulted in a delete and tune , my 2016 truck has run stellar now to 230,000 kms so far.
Doesn't use a drop of oil and I'm getting great fuel mileage with the warmer weather too..Love the truck....FCA not so much.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts