RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting to make my 3D work with some hauling of garden supplies ;). Done 2 loads like this of composted mulch for the veg garden, and plan on doing a few more and numerous loads of dirt. I searched the 'net for some idea of how much dirt/mulch weighs but found opinions vary widely. What do you guys think, is this under the 1,270lb max payload? Truck drove fine with the load, but squatted a bit and I just want to make sure I'm not over doing it. Read end looks fine after I shovel all that out.
20160427_211545457_iOS_zpspnzw4w6e.jpg
20160427_211538920_iOS_zpscycxrqca.jpg

Also, perhaps this is a dumb question, but I'm new to hauling dirt around....any harm in my tail gate hinges and latches filling up with dirt (which they did)? I just plan on taking a shop vac/pressure washer to them after all the loads, but considered trying to cover them to prevent dirt getting in.

I read in another thread something about a payload sensor...is there something that can be read from the truck to tell how much was carried?

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Load sensors are on the air suspension trucks , and I bent a tail gate one time with a load of dry wall and one of my friends straightened it out by slamming it closed to push it back in , and it was bent very bad . Just be careful about dirt or mulch in your bed and having it get rained on .

·
Read Only
14 Posts
According to my Pocket Ref (everyone should have one of these) "Earth, Moist, Excavated" is 2430 LBS/CY. It doesn't have "mulch" listed, but that seems to be a close description.

there's also (in LBS/CY):
earth, dense - 3375
earth, fullers, raw - 1134
earth, loam, dry, excavated - 2106
earth, packed - 2565
earth, soft loose mud - 2916
earth, wet excavated - 2700

·
Registered
12 Posts
The biggest factor in how much mulch or dirt weighs is how much moisture it contains. Dry mulch can be as low as about 700 pounds per cubic yard, and soaking wet topsoil can weigh over 2500 pounds per yard. Your mulch looks like it's pretty dry and I would guestimate you have about 2-2 1/2 cubic yards, so I'd guess you have 1500-1800 pounds on your truck. You are likely over your max payload, but for shorter distances and lower speeds I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
458 Posts
any harm in my tail gate hinges and latches filling up with dirt (which they did)? I just plan on taking a shop vac/pressure washer to them after all the loads, but considered trying to cover them to prevent dirt getting in.
Nah. Just messy really.

Wife and I laid out a front patio last year to spruce up a house we sold. Used a vac and pressure washer to clean the bed out, so I thought. Roll-n-lock rails and canister kept dropping dirt for months from what blew up in there, and to this day I still get dirt droppings making their way out of the tailgate and onto the bumper.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to my Pocket Ref (everyone should have one of these) "Earth, Moist, Excavated" is 2430 LBS/CY. It doesn't have "mulch" listed, but that seems to be a close description.

there's also (in LBS/CY):
earth, dense - 3375
earth, fullers, raw - 1134
earth, loam, dry, excavated - 2106
earth, packed - 2565
earth, soft loose mud - 2916
earth, wet excavated - 2700
That's good info, I couldn't find anywhere on the net. Damn...really that much eh? I agree that might have been 2 Cu Yrds (or a bit more, box is 6"4 and it was overfilled). It was relatively dry, and probably a bit lighter than dirt...but I was planning on doing the same thing with dirt over the next couple of days.

What's the harm in over doing the payload rating? Truck seemed happy with the exception of the squatting, but it came right back up again. It is a short trip from the dirt place home...

I wonder if I should I look into renting a trailer for the remaining loads? One of the reasons I bought a truck was to haul stuff like this but I don't want to kill the thing.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Not a big deal going over the payload rating on occasion. Just drive sensibly. Obviously brakes aren't going to work as well and you really don't want to be hitting any jarring bumps. People have been grossly overloading pickup trucks w/o issue since about the day after the first pickup truck went on sale. Just be careful while driving and only do it on occasion.

Also we will need some pics of the fruits all your labor once done. :p

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Fine but a small 5 x 8 or 6 x 8 trailer would sure deal that mess a lot easier and be lower to the ground for unloading.

I have a 5 x 8 one and just slap plywood on the floor to haul loose loads. Add a little more up the sides and store those things under a carport when not needed. Just seems easier and cleaner than messing up such a nice truck.

Reactions: WARSW
1 - 8 of 8 Posts