RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this question about the tire size and axle ratio is an old one , but, I'm going to ask it again. I want 17" tires. I also want 3.92 axle ratio. Unfortunately I can't have both. So...do I order 17" tires with 3.55 axle ratio or go with 20" tires and get the 3.92's? I have a 26' pontoon and a 29.1' TT that weighs 4,350 dry and has a GVWR of 7,000 lbs.
Thanks in advance for any advise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I go 3.55 then I'd get the 17s. The 17s seem to have more options and are definitely cheaper to replace. I can also deflate the 17s if I have too while on the beach. The only reason for me to get the 20s would be to also get the 3.92. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Start by defining your needs. Write down what percentage of your time the truck will be towing, hauling, working, commuting, on road, off-road, etc. look at combos, too...off-road on the beach with a trailer, etc.

That'll help you know where to start looking for the right answer for you.

·
Registered
544 Posts
For the weight you plan to tow, you would be OK with 20" wheels with the 3.92's. I have that setup and just towed my 5,000lb boat today with absolutely no strain or fuss. The 8 speed has a very low 1st and 2nd gear combined with the 3.92's making take off from a stand still very easy. I only towed the boat about 10 miles (just got the truck yesterday) and I was very gentle with the throttle because it's so new, but I can't imagine your 7,000 lb TT giving you much trouble. Be aware that due to the large frontal area of a TT, your fuel mileage will drop dramatically if you travel at speeds much above 65 (not a good idea with a TT anyway). The difference between 20" wheels with 3.55's and 17" wheels with 3.92's is about 200 RPM at 70mph. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
For the weight you plan to tow, you would be OK with 20" wheels with the 3.92's. I have that setup and just towed my 5,000lb boat today with absolutely no strain or fuss. The 8 speed has a very low 1st and 2nd gear combined with the 3.92's making take off from a stand still very easy. I only towed the boat about 10 miles (just got the truck yesterday) and I was very gentle with the throttle because it's so new, but I can't imagine your 7,000 lb TT giving you much trouble. Be aware that due to the large frontal area of a TT, your fuel mileage will drop dramatically if you travel at speeds much above 65 (not a good idea with a TT anyway). The difference between 20" wheels with 3.55's and 17" wheels with 3.92's is about 200 RPM at 70mph. Not a big deal.
I wouldn't worry about going too "easy" on it. I think the more load u put on it earlier the better. I subscribe to the theory of get on it when it's new to make sure rings are seated. Of course proper engine warmup prior to running it is essential.

The good thing about the 17s is that they are a LT tire and not P tire. Stiffer and better handles the loads. I believe they are putting the Goodyear with Kevlar on the 17s which appears to be a pretty good tire when I searched tirerack.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly. With 17s you have more tire options, they ride better, get better gas mileage and there's more room (sidewall) to deflate them should you be on the beach and need more traction. But 20s look better :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wheels are easier to swap out then gears. If you want 3.92s I say go with it. The whole chrome clad (plastic) is junk anyway. They look good now but they are in fact plastic. So save some cash up and look for a good tire and wheel combo deal with the 17's you want and sell off the plastic covered 20's.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. So I'll go with the 3.92s and put aftermarket tires on it if I need too. Any recommendations as to a place to buy wheels?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The options for 17's are endless. 4 wheel parts is a good place to get ideas because they have a wall with different wheels. They do not sell every brand on the market but they'll work with you on pricing and what you want. Discount tire also has good package deals. For online shopping I've used wheel fire a couple times. They come mounted and balanced shipped to your door but the tire options are limeted. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts