RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recommend avoiding the recall for a couple months. We need time to port our tune versions over to the new software, this will take a couple months or so. If you get the recall done now, it will be stock for a little while.

Trans tune customers must flash in the stock trans tune before recall is applied. This will allow the flash tool to be erased and the new dealer tune read out and emailed to GDE for update and new tune creation. That fee will be $25.

When available, the engine tune update will be $50 plus shipping, see 'ecm service update' on our website.

·
Registered
769 Posts
For those with spare stock ECMs I am assuming we can swap in the stock ECM to be AEMed and then swap back the GDE ECM with no issues. I was also assuming we could re-install our trans tunes with no issue. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
For those with spare stock ECMs I am assuming we can swap in the stock ECM to be AEMed and then swap back the GDE ECM with no issues. I was also assuming we could re-install our trans tunes with no issue. Is that not the case?
I'm guessing no and no. Wait for GDE to have a replacement tune ready.

Your current tunes might not be compatable after the AEM.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Will GDE's new tune version be available for owners in California to purchase? I think we will all be having some cash burning a hole in our pockets.

·
Registered
476 Posts
This was always my plan. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work if only the ECM software is being updated.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Can't wait for a " brave soul ", to swap back to stock ECM , get AEM ,
then reinstall Hot Tuned ECM to see if it all works like before .
Being in Canada , nothing has started here , I would hate to have to send ECM across the Border and back ,
just to update ECM , I kept my stock module to avoid exactly that .
Time will tell.............
P.S. I know GDE always uses the more recent FCA tune , and then change a multidude of data in that
latest software , to make it the " Hot Tune " , going by the last sentence in first post , am I to understand the next " Hot Tune "
will be the AEM tune , with GDE data within it to make it the latest Hot Tune ?????

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

If you have a spare ecm, you are good to go. See our first post about the trans tune to see howto handle it. If dealer overwrite GDE trans tune, it will lock the flash tool and you will be out $200. Don't do it.

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being in Canada , nothing has started here , I would hate to have to send ECM across the Border and back ,
P.S. I know GDE always uses the more recent FCA tune , and then change a multidude of data in that
latest software , to make it the " Hot Tune " , going by the last sentence in first post , am I to understand the next " Hot Tune "
will be the AEM tune , with GDE data within it to make it the latest Hot Tune ?????

Correct. Each time FCA has a service release, we port our tune to the latest software release level. This takes time and testing. Another reason we are different from other tuning companies.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This was always my plan. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work if only the ECM software is being updated.
My plan has always been to swap back to the stock ECM, send my tuned ECM it to GDE for "updating" my features while the AEM is being done, then swap back after it's all said and done. Might get the trans tune done while I'm at it since all the OEM ECM/TCM/etc. software will be the latest version from FCA.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am still waiting for FCA to even acknowledge our paperwork sent weeks ago. Once it is all done I will wait for GDE to come up with their OBD tuner solution for my truck.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Are you talking about the HOT TUNE ??

·
Registered
516 Posts

I would assume yes. They will be manipulating a different set of Data , and that will require different coding. Hence the call to hold tight until they can perfect the new tune on the changed ECM flash.

Only a guess though.. ..

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
To Smoky :
Yes Hot Tune , GDE has said in the past there is around 18,000 maps in the stock tune ( Bosch )
and they change a multitude of para meters within the stock tune , so we essentially get the stock tune
but modified to be "better for engine longevity " in the long run .
To Poolhammer:
Post # 9 from GDE confirms they will update their Hot Tune again after going thru the new version of
latest stock tune comes out , in the AEM flash , there have been many versions of the Hot Tune already
I suspect more than 12 versions , could be 40+ .:confused:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
So the only hold up is we wont be able to put the hot tune back in (assuming ecm swap) for a few months? no issues with getting them to do the recall/update with the GDE ecm in place?

·
Registered
769 Posts
If you have a spare ecm, you are good to go. See our first post about the trans tune to see howto handle it. If dealer overwrite GDE trans tune, it will lock the flash tool and you will be out $200. Don't do it.
Ok, so we install the factory tune back into the tcm. Any specific procedure instructions?

·
Administrator
8,645 Posts
So the only hold up is we wont be able to put the hot tune back in (assuming ecm swap) for a few months? no issues with getting them to do the recall/update with the GDE ecm in place?
You can put your existing hot tune back in.

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dealer can overwrite GDE tuned ecm, no problems.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.