RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
It looks like I have a decision to make. My 5 year warranty is up on 06/02/2019. I am leaving the middle of June for a 3 week trip of about 5000 miles. I will be towing my travel trailer. Do I get the update and take the trip and have the extra warranty coverage or stay with GDE tune and have no warranty? I am leaning towards getting the update to have some warranty but any thoughts would be appreciated. I don't think it matters in this case but I did keep my stock ecm.

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
It sounded like GDE is recommending waiting to put the tune back in until they do more research.
GDE is recommending to wait until they sift through the factory tune with the new AEM if you will need them to flash your tuned ECU. If you have a spare no big deal, install the factory ECU and swap back after the AEM is applied.

*Note this only applies to the engine tune not the trans tune.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just spoke with GDE, they stated that if you have a space ECM with their tune, install the original ECM like you would do for any time you take your truck to the dealer. Have the dealership flash the original ECM with the AEM then when you get home reinstall GDE ECM. They stated there should be no conflicts with any other updates to other modules. They did say to reinstall the factory transmission tune, if that is applicable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been waiting for the transmission tune to go on sale. I see it is now and am ready to buy as soon as GDE is ready post aem and u07 recalls. An update from GDE is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I have been waiting for the transmission tune to go on sale. I see it is now and am ready to buy as soon as GDE is ready post aem and u07 recalls. An update from GDE is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Trans tune you can get now. Engine tune is 2 months out.

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
I expect to do a tow for over a month soon. No way would I get the flash and then run that in mine for the entire towing trip. That would trash my clean EGR system.

Then there is the issue of that extended warranty if I got it done before leaving. When things broke down, which I expect will happen with the stock tune and my long-ago turned off systems, I could find dealers around the country and let them deal with it while I sit in campgrounds for days/weeks/months waiting for them to fix the unfixable.

So I head out with GDE working and a smile. With my luck there might be an issue and I will have no warranty and the option to do a complete delete on the road to keep things running or maybe have to do more than that? No settlement for me then either.

Should I worry? Nah - I have beer and GDE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something must of changed. Talked to someone on friday and said they were a couple weeks out for post aem/u07 updates. So if I order the trans tune now its compatible with both new updates?

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Something must of changed. Talked to someone on friday and said they were a couple weeks out for post aem/u07 updates. So if I order the trans tune now its compatible with both new updates?
Correct on trans. We are building new versions as they come in.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
GDE, how about some guidance for those of us with your Oil Pressure kit.

Do we swap it back to OEM and run into the dealer for the AEM with a check engine light? Or do we leave it as-is which will cause a check engine light after the AEM?

·
Vendor
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
GDE, how about some guidance for those of us with your Oil Pressure kit.

Do we swap it back to OEM and run into the dealer for the AEM with a check engine light? Or do we leave it as-is which will cause a check engine light after the AEM?
These customers will need to remove the oil pressure sensing kit and reinstall stock oil switch and wiring. It will read low pressure, but after you get the AEM, it will be back to normal. When you get the GDE tune update, reinstall the oil pressure kit.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Sounds great, thanks. Will get the AEM and do the core return once your tune is ready to replace the AEM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My apologies, but I'm a little confused by this. If we went to the dealer and got the AEM now, and then sent in our ECM for re-flashing....wouldn't GDE just be able to re-flash with the last generation of software. I.e. after re-flashing my ECM would just go back to the software versions I have now? Sorry I'm just not following the threads here. I have an appointment on May 6 to get the AEM update, but I'm going to postpone that if I can't have a GDE replacement ECM waiting at my house when I get back from the dealer :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
My apologies, but I'm a little confused by this. If we went to the dealer and got the AEM now, and then sent in our ECM for re-flashing....wouldn't GDE just be able to re-flash with the last generation of software. I.e. after re-flashing my ECM would just go back to the software versions I have now? Sorry I'm just not following the threads here. I have an appointment on May 6 to get the AEM update, but I'm going to postpone that if I can't have a GDE replacement ECM waiting at my house when I get back from the dealer :)
Short answer is No. (And I presume you mean June 6 and not May 6...)

The reason is there are parameters and code in the new FCA program that may make the current GDE tune incompatible - rendering your truck a very large boat anchor. GDE is modifying their tune to work seamlessly with FCA's new ECM programming so that it transparently functions with your truck. Therefore you may have to drive with the AEM update for a while until GDE is ready to release their updated tune.

Bob

·
Registered
782 Posts
Short answer is No. (And I presume you mean June 6 and not May 6...)

The reason is there are parameters and code in the new FCA program that may make the current GDE tune incompatible - rendering your truck a very large boat anchor. GDE is modifying their tune to work seamlessly with FCA's new ECM programming so that it transparently functions with your truck. Therefore you may have to drive with the AEM update for a while until GDE is ready to release their updated tune.

Bob
I am confused now too... I got a response from GDE stating that if I had the orig. ECM, put it in, take the truck in and have them do the flash, re-install the GDE when I get home.... BUT then I see GDE is doing some updating of the firmware/software so I have to assume the updates are so they can write over the stock ECM that got overwritten by the AEM update. So, I'm not sure why the old s/w wouldn't work unless you are using the orig. ECM and they can't overwrite it. From GDE: "Plug and play, no changes needed. The update is only needed if the GDE tune is overwritten."

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.