RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all Eco owners. The question at this time is, can anyone suggest a service shop in the Southern California area, other than a Ram dealer, that is qualified and experienced to repair a fuel system on this truck?

The story: truck threw a throttle control service error and then abruptly shut down 40 miles from home. This has happened in the past but serviced under warranty.

Dealer determined the HPFP failed sending shrapnel throughout the fuel system and now requires a full replacement, some $8K to do the job.
Not under warranty. 86K miles. Insurance claim filed and adjuster (not doing his due diligence), determined a mechanical failure (duh), and the claim is denied. The dealer nor the adjuster inspected the upstream fuel line, filter, or fuel tank.

My claim is this cause was vandalism or fuel contamination that caused the HPFP to fail. Full collision and comprehensive coverage.

So I am seeking a second opinion from a shop that’s qualified to work on this truck.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would think you could have a sample of the fuel tested for contamination. What kind of vandalism are you thinking was done to cause HPFP failure?

You mentioned that this happened in the past. What was done those times to correct the problem?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hello all Eco owners. The question at this time is, can anyone suggest a service shop in the Southern California area, other than a Ram dealer, that is qualified and experienced to repair a fuel system on this truck?

The story: truck threw a throttle control service error and then abruptly shut down 40 miles from home. This has happened in the past but serviced under warranty.

Dealer determined the HPFP failed sending shrapnel throughout the fuel system and now requires a full replacement, some $8K to do the job.
Not under warranty. 86K miles. Insurance claim filed and adjuster (not doing his due diligence), determined a mechanical failure (duh), and the claim is denied. The dealer nor the adjuster inspected the upstream fuel line, filter, or fuel tank.

My claim is this cause was vandalism or fuel contamination that caused the HPFP to fail. Full collision and comprehensive coverage.

So I am seeking a second opinion from a shop that’s qualified to work on this truck.

Thanks in advance.
Hi: dhumphus... Do you have full collusion coverage too?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If the dealer determined the HPFP failed then why wouldn't it be covered under warranty? Are they saying it was a fuel problem that lead to the failure?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Cp4.2 pumps fail and when they do they fail epically sending metal debris throughout the entire system. Hopefully someone well make a cp3 conversion for the engines. Why is your truck not under warranty its a 2014 with 86k powertrain is 100k?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cp4.2 pumps fail and when they do they fail epically sending metal debris throughout the entire system. Hopefully someone well make a cp3 conversion for the engines. Why is your truck not under warranty its a 2014 with 86k powertrain is 100k?
I agree with this statement. If you google hpfp failures in ecodiesels they almost all are due to the pump itself failing, NOT fuel. I think you need to have a very serious talk
with the SM that says it is a fuel issue when most likely it is a pump failure. Fuel filter have metal? Probably not. Make them prove to you what they are saying. Sounds like
they are just using fuel as an excuse. Go after them and don't let up till they choke!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got the same diagnosis from my local dealer...
My truck stalled out after sitting at ideal, threw code P0087, and did not want to restart. This had happened on three occasions over about 2 months. So after the 3rd repeat of this issue and the dealership still not being able to determine the cause, nor being able to replicate it, I tried to eliminate as many variables as possible. I did an oil change, fuel filter change (didn't look too bad for our system), filled up at a different station and topped off with DEF (I was near E on both). No issues after that... until this weekend when it happened again, I took it to a different dealership this time and they just notified me that based upon their visual and smell test I have contaminated fuel and FCA says I need to replace my entire fuel system, $8K.
None of this makes sense to me, I think the next step is to get a fuel sample from the truck and the station I last filled up at and see how they compare.

Thoughts? Ideas? A recommend whiskey to deal with this?

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,344 Posts
They make those hand held pumps that is a small enough tube to stick down the engine oil dipstick to take a sample, and to take a fuel sample too, or several.

I think I'll buy one to have around, just in case. I can see the merit of immediately taking samples when/if something fuel related comes up. And log your activity, everything, and where you buy fuel. Log books are admissible evidence.

While perhaps a rare scenario, is it possible a tanker might have some gasoline left in it, and then later used for hauling diesel? There is much info on the internet about gas in diesel, in that as little as 1% can start to cause detonation issues along with lessening the lubrication qualities leading to HPFP failures. 1% of 26 gallons is only a quart. A more likely scenario is someone(wife, son, buddy? idk) but the owner accidently fueled with gasoline. I say this because you don't have to look far on the internet to see that this happens more often than not.

I think about the steps to get fuel to Alaska, it all comes from the lower 48. You would think there would be a refinery in a state that pumps it's own oil. There used to be, but it went BK. Anyway, the more the handling, the more the possibility of fuel contamination, man makes mistakes. An interesting conversation, I never really thought about buying bad fuel around here until I bought this wonderful yet quirky Ecodiesel.

And if the service desk starts yelling bad fuel, it would be good to have that sample before they get the truck. And who knows, it just might be contaminated and you may be SOL. And that is why I have full coverage insurance. In fact, with this conversation thanks to the OP dhumphus, I'm going to call State Farm Monday and specifically ask about this question of bad fuel and what my coverage is on such a situation. I really have no idea.

Thanks for bringing this up. IF I learn anything about insurance coverage, I'll start a new thread.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
OP posted the question three months ago. OP never came back.

"One and done". We will probably never know the outcome.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mainly bad fuel without enough lubricity. Or just bad design within the pump it's self. But 2 failure's I would go with bad fuel. He may be using either low volume station. Or station is low quality. Now my truck has when it was newer had the same problems and was replaced. Sense then I use fuel tratment to help combat it. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Are you talking about the pump in the fuel tank or the injection pump on the engine? If it is the in tank pump it is covered under the 3/36,000 coverage and unless you have an extended warranty it's on you. You can have the tank dropped and have the pump and fuel filter examined for signs of metal shavings but they should have never made it passed the filter to the HPFP. The factory filter is a 3 or 4? micron filter.

If you are talking about the Injection pump on the engine I'm not sure what coverage it has. But at $8,000 dollars I think they are talking the High Pressure Injection Pump mounted on the engine not in the tank.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Are you talking about the pump in the fuel tank or the injection pump on the engine? If it is the in tank pump it is covered under the 3/36,000 coverage and unless you have an extended warranty it's on you. You can have the tank dropped and have the pump and fuel filter examined for signs of metal shavings but they should have never made it passed the filter to the HPFP. The factory filter is a 3 or 4? micron filter.

If you are talking about the Injection pump on the engine I'm not sure what coverage it has. But at $8,000 dollars I think they are talking the High Pressure Injection Pump mounted on the engine not in the tank.
You are correct. A lift pump (tank) won't granade. And filter would catch it. The CP4 or high pressure will and dose that will send metal into injection system and ruin injectors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm dealing with "contaminated" fuel for my 5th garage visit (still in shop), and a 6th visit just around the corner (as the #6 injector hasn't fully clogged at this point but is expected to soon). "Contaminated fuel" is BS claim. Don't fall for it. I've had problems with with fuel injectors at 22k, 44k, 60k miles, 72k miles and now 76k miles. After my last mishap, RAM has written that they will not cover any more injector repairs unless I change my fuel filter every 10k miles instead of 30k miles as stated in the owners manual. Too bad I've been doing that since around 50k miles.

Everything was covered under warranty (fuel filter is under Extended Powertrain Warranty) without any problems until now. The big FCA lawsuit comes out and now RAM is trying to get out of covering warranty repairs. I have a case open with RAM (as I do every time this happens). They first blamed not changing the fuel filter frequency enough UNTIL I produced receipts for fuel filter changes. Once I did that, the blame was then moved to contaminated fuel.

I'm waiting to hear what RAM's next excuse will be to get out of this repair. If they do deny it, I'm having the case manager provide me with a written statement of why my warranty claim was denied. Then it's off to the magistrate to file a civil suit against RAM/FCA and the dealership.

Anyways, good luck with getting your claim figured out!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I'm dealing with "contaminated" fuel for my 5th garage visit (still in shop), and a 6th visit just around the corner (as the #6 injector hasn't fully clogged at this point but is expected to soon). "Contaminated fuel" is BS claim. Don't fall for it. I've had problems with with fuel injectors at 22k, 44k, 60k miles, 72k miles and now 76k miles. After my last mishap, RAM has written that they will not cover any more injector repairs unless I change my fuel filter every 10k miles instead of 30k miles as stated in the owners manual. Too bad I've been doing that since around 50k miles.

Everything was covered under warranty (fuel filter is under Extended Powertrain Warranty) without any problems until now. The big FCA lawsuit comes out and now RAM is trying to get out of covering warranty repairs. I have a case open with RAM (as I do every time this happens). They first blamed not changing the fuel filter frequency enough UNTIL I produced receipts for fuel filter changes. Once I did that, the blame was then moved to contaminated fuel.

I'm waiting to hear what RAM's next excuse will be to get out of this repair. If they do deny it, I'm having the case manager provide me with a written statement of why my warranty claim was denied. Then it's off to the magistrate to file a civil suit against RAM/FCA and the dealership.

Anyways, good luck with getting your claim figured out!
=============================================================
funny how they would quote the old manual because it was modified to be 20,000 miles for fuel filter using fuel up to B5
question is what fuel was used ......
here old and new chart .

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
=============================================================
funny how they would quote the old manual because it was modified to be 20,000 miles for fuel filter using fuel up to B5
question is what fuel was used ......
here old and new chart .
They did change it some point. I forget exactly when. Legally, they have to respond this way though because of we have contract at purchase that they agree to warranty repairs if I do maintenance at the required time periods in the manual at time at purchase. As the court explained, any automaker could just amend the manual at any time (unbeknownst to the consumer) and say you did not follow the recommendations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello to everyone. I will share my experience with my 2015 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel. I purchased the truck new in April of 2015. It was my daily driver. I mainly used it as a commuter, never really did any hard work with it. In late June 2018 I got a check engine light but the truck still ran fine and did not display any other messages. I called my dealer and made an appointment to bring it in to have it checked. It stalled on the way to the dealership and they had to tow it in. In about two days they told me that the HPFP had failed and I asked why and they said the did not know. The truck had 41000 miles on it and had been serviced regularly by the dealer right on schedule. I began to do some research on my own and learned that this truck used the Bosh CP4 pump and that it was nick named the grenade. When it fails it literally spews metal fragments throughout the entire fuel system. The information that I gathered said the only way to fix it properly was to replace the entire fuel system, lift pump, HPFP, fuel rails, injectors and fuel lines from fuel rails to injectors. The tank would have to be dropped and flushed and cleaned and the lines from the tank to the HPFP would have to be flushed. My dealer did not follow this procedure and as a result they had the truck in the shop for six weeks. Each time they drove it it would stop running. They replaced the lift pump twice and the injectors twice. Once they told me it was repaired I told them to make me an offer on the truck and they paid me trade-in for it. I later learned that they sold the truck in 2 weeks and it was back in the shop in 2 days. I was fortunate that a friend of mine was the service writer and he protected me from their contaminated fuel claim so it was all covered under my extended warranty. In short I was very lucky to get out from under this. During my research I have learned that the weak point in this fuel system is the CP4 pump. The articles that I have read state that this pump can not get enough lubrication from the Ultra low sulfur diesel used in the United States. This pump has been used in Asia and Europe for some time but they do not have ULSD. The best defense you have against a failure is to change you fuel filter twice as often as they recommend and be careful where you buy fuel. This problem has also been occurring on the the Ford and Chevy that are 2011 and later as they also use the CP4 pump. It has been standard procedure for the dealer to claim contaminated fuel and deny warranty and it seems they can do this with no exact data or analysis. It is the burden of the owner to prove the fuel is not contaminated and even then you may still be denied warranty. They are instructing owners to file and insurance claim to pay for the repair. It most cased the insurance company will send an agent to collect their own sample for analysis but I am not sure what happens if that analysis finds no contamination. I am a mechanical engineer and I feel I do have the ability to research and comprehend the information. It is my opinion that there is a defect in this fuel system and the OEM's know it but they are being allowed to blame the customer and get away with it. After I sold my Eco diesel back to the dealer I purchased a RAM 2500 because the Cummins 6.7 still uses the tried and proven CP3 pump. Good luck to you all with your situations.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hello to everyone. I will share my experience with my 2015 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel.

I purchased the truck new in April of 2015. It was my daily driver. I mainly used it as a commuter, never really did any hard work with it. In late June 2018 I got a check engine light but the truck still ran fine and did not display any other messages. I called my dealer and made an appointment to bring it in to have it checked. It stalled on the way to the dealership and they had to tow it in.

In about two days they told me that the HPFP had failed and I asked why and they said the did not know. The truck had 41000 miles on it and had been serviced regularly by the dealer right on schedule.

I began to do some research on my own and learned that this truck used the Bosh CP4 pump and that it was nick named the grenade. When it fails it literally spews metal fragments throughout the entire fuel system. The information that I gathered said the only way to fix it properly was to replace the entire fuel system, lift pump, HPFP, fuel rails, injectors and fuel lines from fuel rails to injectors. The tank would have to be dropped and flushed and cleaned and the lines from the tank to the HPFP would have to be flushed.

My dealer did not follow this procedure and as a result they had the truck in the shop for six weeks. Each time they drove it it would stop running. They replaced the lift pump twice and the injectors twice. Once they told me it was repaired I told them to make me an offer on the truck and they paid me trade-in for it. I later learned that they sold the truck in 2 weeks and it was back in the shop in 2 days. I was fortunate that a friend of mine was the service writer and he protected me from their contaminated fuel claim so it was all covered under my extended warranty. In short I was very lucky to get out from under this.

During my research I have learned that the weak point in this fuel system is the CP4 pump. The articles that I have read state that this pump can not get enough lubrication from the Ultra low sulfur diesel used in the United States. This pump has been used in Asia and Europe for some time but they do not have ULSD. The best defense you have against a failure is to change you fuel filter twice as often as they recommend and be careful where you buy fuel. This problem has also been occurring on the the Ford and Chevy that are 2011 and later as they also use the CP4 pump.

It has been standard procedure for the dealer to claim contaminated fuel and deny warranty and it seems they can do this with no exact data or analysis. It is the burden of the owner to prove the fuel is not contaminated and even then you may still be denied warranty. They are instructing owners to file and insurance claim to pay for the repair. It most cased the insurance company will send an agent to collect their own sample for analysis but I am not sure what happens if that analysis finds no contamination. I am a mechanical engineer and I feel I do have the ability to research and comprehend the information. It is my opinion that there is a defect in this fuel system and the OEM's know it but they are being allowed to blame the customer and get away with it.

After I sold my Eco diesel back to the dealer I purchased a RAM 2500 because the Cummins 6.7 still uses the tried and proven CP3 pump. Good luck to you all with your situations.
There. Before somebody complains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts