RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed that my electric fan was making a groaning noise as I entered my carport. I killed the engine and opened the hood. I spun the fan and it had no roughness at all. I cranked the truck and the fan was running smooth. This morning I cranked the truck and headed down the highway. Ten miles out I noticed temp gage heading to red. I turned around and headed home. The temp went from red back to normal several times. The fan was making a roaring noise but was working. It seemed that running down the highway at 70, the radiator would get plenty of air. Does the electric fan run all of the time? Could my louvers in front of the radiator be opening and closing or is the electric fan failing. ??

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hi: yellowjacket... My truck smells hot, IMHO, but the gauge runs normal. It's troublesome when you loose your cool!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yes.....check that coolant level. The coolant degass tank will show coolant in it but its deceiving because the level is really below the pickup tube on the side.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[Well the truck is all cooled down and yes the coolant level is very low. The other thing is that the top large radiator hose is hard as a rock. The other thing is, where did the coolant go? I am always looking under the hood and since the truck was new the coolant has not moved in 90,000 miles. Why all of a sudden now?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Mine drank I gallon in 60 miles. I parked it and deleted it immediately. That was 3 years ago and over 180,000kms later.

·
Super Moderator
3,790 Posts
Sounds like EGR cooler is leaking coolant. You don’t see it it’s likely because the leak is internal and it’s going out your tail pipes some as just a light haze of whitish smoke. If that’s the case and you run a tune you can simply delete the EGR cooler. Problem solved permanently. Here the one I use.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Mine drank I gallon in 60 miles. I parked it and deleted it immediately. That was 3 years ago and over 180,000kms later.
Hi: Ecosparky... Stella Antics should be able to see the steam coming out of your tailpipe. She's standing behind your truck!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes I did have the EGR cooler recall done about 3 months ago at the local Ram dealer. Should I bring it back to them? I would love to do some of the stuff I read about on this site but I am not mechanical enough to do it. I wish someone in Baton Rouge, Louisiana did this work on the Eco but it seems we only have Cummins mechanics down here.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yes I did have the EGR cooler recall done about 3 months ago at the local Ram dealer. Should I bring it back to them? I would love to do some of the stuff I read about on this site but I am not mechanical enough to do it. I wish someone in Baton Rouge, Louisiana did this work on the Eco but it seems we only have Cummins mechanics down here.
HOLD THE PHONE......you're not the original poster....or do you have two identities (yellowjacket)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't understand your question. I just signed in as always and started a post. I reply when I see the need. I have one identity that I know of.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Yellowjacket has an issue and starts a thread. We are all trying to help him troubleshoot his issue. I ask him if he has had the EGR recall already completed?

You post.... Yes I did have the EGR cooler recall done about 3 months ago at the local Ram dealer. Should I bring it back to them?

So are we to understand that you also have a coolant leak?

·
Registered
2018 LoneStar
1 Posts
My truck was fine until 62,000mi. The EGR did what these EcoDiesel EGR's are known for I was suddenly down about 3/4 of a gallon. I limped it to the stealership stopping to add coolant along the way (about another gallon). I had the VB1 recall done. A few months later I started moving across the country (did about 15,000mi towing back and forth) and was slowly adding coolant during the process (about 3/4 gallon in all). Got to Texas and got deleted and tuned ASAP around 92,000 and have not filled up since (I'm now at 105,000mi).

I know my experience is not what everyone experiences with these trucks, but that was mine so I endorse deleting and tuning 100%. Not to mention the performance improvements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For some reason, I guess my thread is showing up as 2 people. I am "yellowjacket" and also showing up as "J". I am the same person with the overheating and yes I have had the new EGR done under the recall. I guess I will just add some coolant and drive it and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
For some reason, I guess my thread is showing up as 2 people. I am "yellowjacket" and also showing up as "J". I am the same person with the overheating and yes I have had the new EGR done under the recall. I guess I will just add some coolant and drive it and see what happens.
Noooo......don't do that. If you are still having a coolant leak and ingesting it into the engine you could cause engine damage and damage to the dpf/scr.
I'd suggest getting it back into the dealer quickly.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts